+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Going Vegetarian/Vegan

Re: Going Vegetarian/Vegan

I just downloaded an interesting (free) book on my Kindle titled, Every Day Foods in War Time. (myrosiedog - I thought of you immediately). It is a treatise for housewives trying to cook with the combination of rations, deprivations, and the patriotic duty of letting our soldiers have the available meat, butter, etc. It starts out claiming that whatever else you cut out, if you are drinking milk (and milk products) you will have the mainstay of a healthy diet. I also watched part of an infomercial today with Montel Williams pushing a mega-blender (2 horsepower) that liquifies fruits and veggies and made all kinds of claims about the health benefits of using it for most of your diet. So there you go... milk and liquified fruits and veggies.
    Count your blessings!

Trader Joe's has been indispensible for me as a vegetarian of 8 years. They not only have good ingredients but they are where I stock up on my lunch foods, because the pad thai is 100% vegan but still delicious. I also am addicted to the teriyaki tofu blocks, I could live off those and be happy as a clam.

Part of the trap, though, for me has been relying too much on the premade/frozen foods, when it's way better for me to use whole ingredients. I still eat eggs and dairy, though, but the easiest thing for me to do is to toss at least five vegetables in with an omelette or a pasta sauce. Tofu is also very time-consuming to work with, but you can do some great things with it. I did a beer-battered tofu about a month ago that was just like eating fish/chips as I did for many years. Soups are great as well; I need to make some more soon though so that I can take advantage of all the squashes and other fun vegetables that are out right now.

I also can't stand salads-I can't swallow them, and any salad dressing grosses me out (my boyfriend noted that I'm not a huge sauce person, except for teriyaki or a good white sauce), and there are a lot of fruits I can't eat due to them upsetting my stomach, so one of my other big things has been making sure that I make that up, as well as supplementing my diet.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I finally got all of the veggie cookbooks I ordered - two Laurel's Kitchen ones, a Moosewood one and Diet for a Small Planet and I definitely think the Moosewood cookbook, Moosewood Restaurants Cook at Home is going to be my favorite. There are lots of recipes that are quick and easy and don't have 20 ingredients.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I like to try new things instead of the same old same old. Kashi has a frozen entree called "Mayan Harvest Bake" that is outstanding! It has plantains, black beans, sweet potatoes, kale, 7-grain pilaf, amaranth, polenta, and pumpin seeds in a spicey ancho sauce. Totally vegan. Totally delicious. 9 g protein, 8 g fiber.
    Count your blessings!

I bought some Morningstar Farms Veggie Bites - the spinach and artichoke ones - and they are SO good! It's just spinach and artichoke mixed with a bit of mozzarella and then breaded. You can bake them or do them in the microwave. Not super healthy, but a really great treat that tastes more decadent than it is (three of them is 4 WW points).

My go-to lunch is the Lentil Rice Biryani from Trader Joe's. It's basmati rice, garbanzos, lentils, potato, green beans and is very spicy. Gluten free and vegan. High in protein too. It used to be $2.09, but when I bought it the other day, the price had dipped down below $2. You can hardly get a hearty lunch for that price any more.

I found a great recipe for tofu "croutons." You marinate the tofu in soy sauce, ginger, maple syrup and some other spices and then bake it - it's cubed - and you can eat it for snacks or on salads. There's a veggie restaurant (or there was - I don't know if it's still there) in Hermosa Beach that made the best tofu croutons. I'm hoping these will be similar. If they turn out good, I'll post the recipe.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I would LOVE a tofu crouton recipe. I love tofu!
    I got the Black and Decker Cyclone blender after watching the Montel Williams infomercial on juice blending. I'd say 75% of my food intake this week has been raw fruit/veg drinks (you have to add water). I've been making up my own combos and having fun doing it. You don't even notice a couple leaves of lettuce, spinach, or chard in with the juice, and carrots and bell peppers add freshness without a veggie flavor. Feeling GREAT! Yesterday I forgot to drink my coffee in the morning and didn't notice until halfway through the day. That would never happen before, trust me.
    Right now I'm drinking mango/parsnips/apples. Yum!
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3740434;
    I just downloaded an interesting (free) book on my Kindle titled, Every Day Foods in War Time. (myrosiedog - I thought of you immediately). It is a treatise for housewives trying to cook with the combination of rations, deprivations, and the patriotic duty of letting our soldiers have the available meat, butter, etc. It starts out claiming that whatever else you cut out, if you are drinking milk (and milk products) you will have the mainstay of a healthy diet. I also watched part of an infomercial today with Montel Williams pushing a mega-blender (2 horsepower) that liquifies fruits and veggies and made all kinds of claims about the health benefits of using it for most of your diet. So there you go... milk and liquified fruits and veggies.
    Gut that sounds interesting. Is it a new book or was it published during WWII?

ETA: just found it and it was published in 1918. Very interesting. Thanks.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3743832;
    I would LOVE a tofu crouton recipe. I love tofu!
    This is the one I tried. Baked Tofu Bites - All Recipes
    I wasn't all that pleased with the way it came out, but that could be due to operator error. I know that they could be good because I've eaten some that I really liked. Maybe I'll see if that restaurant I loved is still there and if they'll share their recipe...

I've really been enjoying my raw fruit/veggie blended drinks and decided to google "raw diets". Much to my surprise they are all or nothing. I don't intend to quit eating dairy, cooked veggies, grains, and the occasional meat. Can anyone point me toward some sites that are more temperate?
    Count your blessings!

I saw this recipe and I immediately thought of this thread, and Trista in particular. It sounds delicious and it would be a festive Thanksgiving dish.

Orange-Ginger Tofu Triangles

1 pound firm tofu
    1 cup fresh orange juice
    1/4 cup rice vinegar
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup canola oil
    4 teaspoons dark sesame oil
    3 cloves garlic,
    minced 1 tablespoon
    minced fresh ginger root
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 green onion, cut into 1-inch strips
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    2 dried chipotle chile pepper (optional)

Turn the tofu on its side, and cut it into 4 thin slices. Lay the tofu flat again, and cut the block diagonally to make 8 triangles. Without separating the pieces, place tofu on a cutting board. Cover, with a paper towel, and place a heavy skillet on top. Set aside for 30 minutes, allowing time for excess water to drain from the tofu.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, oils, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Separate the pressed tofu pieces, and arrange in a baking dish in a single layer. Cover with the marinade, and sprinkle with the green onion and cilantro. Cut the stems off the chiles, remove the seeds, and place the chiles in the baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to overnight.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Pour off some of the marinade, so the tofu is covered halfway. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, without turning, until the tofu is golden and most of the marinade has been absorbed.

+ Reply to Thread