+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Vegetarian/Vegan

Re: Going Vegetarian/Vegan

I was looking into fasting quite seriously about a year ago and one system I found was 12 hours on/ 12 hours off. Counting the hours you sleep, you then don't eat until you've reached 12 hours. A google search would tell you a lot more, but they made pretty incredible claims.
    Count your blessings!

We've been making recipes from the Food To Live By cookbook for years. While not a vegetarian cookbook per se, it is loaded with nutrient-rich organic vegetarian recipes and there hasn't been one that we haven't liked.

Amazon.com: Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook (Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbk) (9780761138990): Myra Goodman, Linda Holland, Pamela McKinstry: Books

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3735412;
    I'd love to find an easy, quick veggie cookbook.
    Go to any Salvation Army type store or dollar store and I guarantee you'll find vegetarian cookbooks. PM me if you'd like me to send you some. I'm trying to get rid of STUFF and have quite a few.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3735603;
    Go to any Salvation Army type store or dollar store and I guarantee you'll find vegetarian cookbooks. PM me if you'd like me to send you some. I'm trying to get rid of STUFF and have quite a few.
    That's a sweet offer, Gut.

I did find a few inexpensive ones on Amazon to get me started. Based on everyone's advice, I got Diet for a Small Planet, as well as one of the Moosewood cookbooks, and two books from Laurel's kitchen, one a cookbook the other a kind of handbook/cookbook.

I pulled out my Greens cookbook to see if I was remembering it as more complicated than it actually is. Yeah, I have a good memory. All of the pasta recipes start with making the pasta and the soup recipes all begin with making the stock, Of course, you could buy pasta and veggie stock, but still. I wasn't that blown away by any of the recipes, to be honest. They were all way too complicated for ONE person. I have higher hopes for the ones I ordered.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I always make lots of stock and I freeze it in ice cube trays, then put the cubes into a freezer bag and pull them out as needed. I do the same when I make pesto...3 cubes is enough for 2-3 people. You could do something similar with veggie stock, and then you don't have to worry about making only enough for small meals.

Don't forget the cookbooks you already have. Most have casserole and vegetable chapters with lots of meatless recipes.
    Count your blessings!

I'm not vegetarian but I make a soup that is and I just saute onion and garlic in olive oil and add cannelinni beans, black beans, corn, italian stewed tomatoes, brown rice and barley and use vegetable stock as my liquid and it really hearty and good......it makes a lot and freezes well. I use the canned bean and tomatoes but you could use fresh or dried and just make sure you have enough liquids to cook them.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;3739438;
    I'm not vegetarian but I make a soup that is and I just saute onion and garlic in olive oil and add cannelinni beans, black beans, corn, italian stewed tomatoes, brown rice and barley and use vegetable stock as my liquid and it really hearty and good......it makes a lot and freezes well. I use the canned bean and tomatoes but you could use fresh or dried and just make sure you have enough liquids to cook them.
    That sounds really, really good, Nennie! I'm going to try that as soon as the weather gets consistently chilly here.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3739717;
    That sounds really, really good, Nennie! I'm going to try that as soon as the weather gets consistently chilly here.
    Ellen I don't drain my beans and it gives it a richer flavor.

That does sound delicious, nennie. I LOVE all kinds of beans. Sounds like a good soup for those chilly nights.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast