+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Coffee

MRD

Re: Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3735781;
    Hmm -- the Ped-Egg. The neti pot. Is the French press the new FoRT trend?

If I ever invent a product, I'm going to GIVE one to everyone on FORT first because we all seem to be the best form of advertisement.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3735794;
    A serving of coffee is supposedly 6 ounces. If I fill my dripmaker carafe to the 6 serving mark, it doesnt equal 36 ounces. It's more like 32 ounces. So do you measure water in a liquid measure cup to be exact? Or do you fill your coffee maker to the serving mark on the carafe, and just add slightly less coffee than a tablespoon per serving? A lot of coffee web sites advise using 2 tablespoons of coffee per serving. I just find that way too strong for my taste.

Coffee strength is an individual thing, as you know. My mom liked her coffee so strong you could fill a fountain pen with it. I use one of those "coffee measures" and use a full one for 6 cups of coffee in the drip pot. I make a pot of 10 cups each morning, as my husband drinks it rewarmed in the microwave all day. I then use 2/3 to 3/4 coffee measure for the additional amount. Also if I am making 10 cups, I always put about 10 1/2 cups (on the carafe measure) into the well.

We also keep the filtered water pitcher right next to the coffee maker. Filtered water vs tap really makes a better taste.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3738108;
    We also keep the filtered water pitcher right next to the coffee maker. Filtered water vs tap really makes a better taste.

I'll drink (coffee) to that. We have a water filter under our sink and a special spout for it. I refuse to drink anything else....also use it in the bottom of my electric steamer pot as it keeps the appliance cleaner....but that's another whole subject!!!!!

Yes, thats so true about good water making a difference in coffee taste. We have an osmosis filter on our water, and it does make pretty good coffee. If we didnt have the filter, Id probably use the bottled water in a big jug.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

I got my coffee press from my sister yesterday. It is definitely more fussy than making a pot in the morning in the coffee maker, but the flavor is better. Question: the instructions say to let it sit for 4 minutes before pressing. Doesn't the coffee get cold by then? I didn't wait that long and the coffee wasn't as dark as I usually make it. I used slightly more "coursely ground" beans than it said, but might try even more next time. Any one grind their coffee finely for the press? I'm open to suggestions.
    Count your blessings!

Mine is still hot after four minutes. If you want to keep it at maximum hotness, you could wrap a dish towel around it, but it's really not necessary.

I once tried to grind the beans finely. The too-finely ground beans clogged the screen, and I couldn't push the press more than halfway down. There has to be space for the "coffeed" water to flow through -- hence the coarse-grind instructions!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I just re-read all the pages here and got some good tips. I think once I make it a habit, I will really enjoy the press over the drip. In fact, I'm cleaning that counter off today and will stow the coffee maker away so it's not tempting me in the morning to take the easy route. I requested and got a variety of beans from other family members and have bags I need to use up from before. I made pressed coffee for my culinary daughter this morning and used more beans and a finer grind and a longer steep. She thought it was too strong. I'll have to keep playing around with all those factors until I get it right. Someone got me flavored coffee beans. Do those do well with the press? Thanks for the dish towel tip Ellen.
    Count your blessings!

Flavored beans work well; in fact, because the oils aren't filtered out, the flavors are more pronounced.

Something I learned from my cousin, a coffee roaster and organic farmer:
    As far as "too strong": usually that means "too bitter." The key to getting a strong rich coffee flavor without the bitterness is to not brew too long; four minutes is the recommended limit. [Well, also using coffee that hasn't been shelved for a long time -- too long on the shelf, the oils goes rancid. In the freezer, the oils get a weird, "off" flavor.] Four minutes is all it takes for the "good" flavors in the coffee to be released; after that, the bitter flavors are released. So use more beans, not more brewing time. Somewhat finer grind (though not enough to clog the screen) is good. Ditch the stale beans, and get to know (and give your business to) a local small-business coffee roastery.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

4 min. works great for me and it doesn't get cold. I then pour mine off into a caraffe to keep it hot. I only use flavored beans in mine as I really like flavored coffee.
    I find that the whole process isn't all that bad. I keep my kettle on the stove, so I just fill it and while its heating, I get the press and coffee ready, get my cup out, get the half and half and splenda out. As I'm waiting on it to steep for 4 min., I can usually find other stuff to do in the kitchen like empty or fill the dishwasher, take out the trash, etc. So I probably actually accomplish more chore wise when using the press than I do when I use the drip maker.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread