+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Coffee

Re: Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by muslady;3735440;
    This is how I do it too. I don't have time in the morning to work with a french press. My class starts at 7:50am and I have to be awake because my kids sure aren't!
    BTW the cinnamon is good unless the coffee has a chocolately flavor.
    I've never been a big fan of chocolate flavored coffees. When I go to coffee houses I usually order something with either vanilla or caramel. There is a new trendy coffee house in town that actually draws hearts and trees in your foam!

I may need to try the French press, it sounds very popular here so it must be good!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3735453;
    I've never been a big fan of chocolate flavored coffees. When I go to coffee houses I usually order something with either vanilla or caramel. There is a new trendy coffee house in town that actually draws hearts and trees in your foam!

I may need to try the French press, it sounds very popular here so it must be good!
    I said this wrong it is blended. Here is the description of one but not my favorite because I'm not a fan of dark roast:

El Diablo Dark Roast
    Our flagship dark roast offers a different look at some of the best coffees we have available each season. Delicious dark chocolate notes are softened by a seductive buttery sweetness and accented with mild floral flavors. The finish is sweet, elegant, and crystal clean.

This is good just not my household's favorite.
    Last edited by muslady; 10-25-2009 at 12:08 AM.
    ~In music one must think with the heart and feel with the brain.~ George Szell

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3735358;
    There's a little more time involved than just dumping grounds into a filter and cold water into the well, but for me the process doesn't take any more than 10 minutes. I grind (coarsely) coffee beans for my press. At the same time, I heat the water in the teakettle. Put ground beans in the glass part of the press that looks like a big beaker. Pour in the water just off-boil. Stir. Let sit four minutes. Press. Drink and enjoy. Cleaning is not complicated. I just unscrew the press part, wash everything in hot soapy water, rinse, and either towel-dry or air dry. Only takes a few minutes!
    I do it same as Ellen. I put keep a teakettle on the stove and while I'm putting the coffee in the press, I have the water on to boil. It is a few extra steps than the drip coffee pot, but it's so worth it. The taste is just incredible.
    I don't even rinse mine in soapy water. I just rinse it in water and it all comes out fine.

Honestly, it takes me about the same amount of time to make a french press pot as it takes the drip maker to make a full pot. It takes about 4-5 min. for the water to boil and then 4 min. to sit in the press. I use that time to get breakfast, let the dogs, out, refill water bowls for the dogs, etc. Stuff I have to do anyway.

I have both the large size and the one cup size. I got both at Target. The large one was around $20. It is glass and plastic. I have seen them for over $40. But I wouldn't pay it.
    Last edited by MRD; 10-25-2009 at 12:40 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3734682;
    I like the flavor with a French press, but I don't like that a second cup is cold. Maybe I need a better quality one? I have a Tassimo and I use it about 90% of the time for a cup of very strong coffee. Occasionally I will make cappuccino or a latte but first thing in the morning, it is so easy to put in a pod and press a button. My recycling takes the pods, too.
    I know what you mean about the cold second cup. I drip my coffee, but may get the French press out after reading all your posts. I usually put my coffee in a small stainless thermos after I brew it to keep the rest warm. That works pretty well.

MRD - to add to your french press purchasing ideas - I have seen them at very good prices at Ross. They have some great name brand products for the kitchen at a steep discount.

MRD

I even know the local restuarants that use french presses and one of the local coffee shops does too, so if I want to have good coffee out, I know where to go. That's usually if I'm meeting friends. If I'm by myself and just want a quick cup, I can make do with McDonald's, Liquid Hiway or Dunkin Donuts.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mine is a Bodum -- the "beaker" is glass, the press and holder are plastic and stainless, 4-cup. Less than 15 bucks at either TJ Maxx or Tuesday Morning (I forget where I got it several years ago).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3735640;
    I even know the local restuarants that use french presses and one of the local coffee shops does too, so if I want to have good coffee out, I know where to go. That's usually if I'm meeting friends. If I'm by myself and just want a quick cup, I can make do with McDonald's, Liquid Hiway or Dunkin Donuts.
    If I'm on the go and buy coffee, I LOVE Dunkin Donuts! Their coffee is so rich and good. I much prefer it over Starbucks coffee.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

I just put in my Christmas wish for a coffee press and good coffee with my siblings. Yea!
    Count your blessings!

Hmm -- the Ped-Egg. The neti pot. Is the French press the new FoRT trend?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

A serving of coffee is supposedly 6 ounces. If I fill my dripmaker carafe to the 6 serving mark, it doesnt equal 36 ounces. It's more like 32 ounces. So do you measure water in a liquid measure cup to be exact? Or do you fill your coffee maker to the serving mark on the carafe, and just add slightly less coffee than a tablespoon per serving? A lot of coffee web sites advise using 2 tablespoons of coffee per serving. I just find that way too strong for my taste.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

+ Reply to Thread