+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Coffee

MRD

Re: Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3735036;
    I never owned a french press myrosiedog, but I hear rave reviews by everyone who has one. Once the coffee is made in a french press, can you keep it on a low-heat stove to keep it warm?
    It would depend on the press. Mine is glass and plastic, so no, I couldn't do it with mine. But I've seen all metal ones, so I would say that you could do it with those. But I find the carafe works well. I got my coffee carafe at Goodwill for a dollar. And the carafe works really well as it will keep stuff hot for hours. It's no big thing to pour it into the carafe.

But I'm telling you what, nothing tastes as good as French Press coffee. I think that the water is in contact longer with the coffee, so you get a richer, stronger, better tasting flavor than through a drip machine.

We made coffee as part of my Civil War life class. We put the coffee and water in the pot together and let it come to a boil and then strained it through a cloth so as not to get the grounds in our cups. I thought it would be awful, but I have to say that was some of the best coffee I ever had. Such a rich coffee flavor as the coffee and water are together longer.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It's also because the coffee oils aren't filtered out, hence the richer undiluted flavor.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3734992;
    That sounds like a good trick. Do you taste the salt at all?
    My culinary daughter came home and made coffee and put a couple shakes of cinnamon on the grounds. It was great! I've been doing that a few mornings a week. Cinnamon is good for you, too.
    No, there's no salt taste, but I did notice the difference right away. I make my coffee in a small glass press, one cup at a time - which might be a pain for some, but I don't always drink more than one cup at a time. I'm going to try the cinnamon for sure.

I couldn't find a press locally, but I have a question. Do you boil the water ahead of time? How do most of you do it? In the microwave? On the stove? It seems so complicated! Is it hard to clean? Do the grounds get in the pressing part? I guess I need to go google it.
    Count your blessings!

There's a little more time involved than just dumping grounds into a filter and cold water into the well, but for me the process doesn't take any more than 10 minutes. I grind (coarsely) coffee beans for my press. At the same time, I heat the water in the teakettle. Put ground beans in the glass part of the press that looks like a big beaker. Pour in the water just off-boil. Stir. Let sit four minutes. Press. Drink and enjoy. Cleaning is not complicated. I just unscrew the press part, wash everything in hot soapy water, rinse, and either towel-dry or air dry. Only takes a few minutes!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3735358;
    There's a little more time involved than just dumping grounds into a filter and cold water into the well, but for me the process doesn't take any more than 10 minutes. I grind (coarsely) coffee beans for my press. At the same time, I heat the water in the teakettle. Put ground beans in the glass part of the press that looks like a big beaker. Pour in the water just off-boil. Stir. Let sit four minutes. Press. Drink and enjoy. Cleaning is not complicated. I just unscrew the press part, wash everything in hot soapy water, rinse, and either towel-dry or air dry. Only takes a few minutes!
    That's exactly how I do it too. I can't imagine going back to a drip coffee at this point.

FORT Fanatic

We use Intelligensia Quetzel Breakfast Blend. At our family reunion at the beach this summer I brought this for our coffee taste test and this flavor won.LOL My daughter, somewhat of a food snob, uses one these flavors at her office and had us try it. I am going to Chicago for Thanksgiving to check out some of the other flavors. Who knows maybe I'll find something I like better. My favorite pot is the cone filter coffeemaker.
    ~In music one must think with the heart and feel with the brain.~ George Szell

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3735171;
    No, there's no salt taste, but I did notice the difference right away. I make my coffee in a small glass press, one cup at a time - which might be a pain for some, but I don't always drink more than one cup at a time. I'm going to try the cinnamon for sure.
    Are these expensive? I have only ever used a drip coffee maker. I put the water, grounds and filter in at night before I go to bed so that when I wake up I can just flip the switch before I hop in the shower. When I get out I have a nice pot of coffee all ready to go.

I will definately try the cinnamon tomorrow morning! It sounds great.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3735437;
    Are these expensive? I have only ever used a drip coffee maker. I put the water, grounds and filter in at night before I go to bed so that when I wake up I can just flip the switch before I hop in the shower. When I get out I have a nice pot of coffee all ready to go.

This is how I do it too. I don't have time in the morning to work with a french press. My class starts at 7:50am and I have to be awake because my kids sure aren't!
    BTW the cinnamon is good unless the coffee has a chocolately flavor.
    ~In music one must think with the heart and feel with the brain.~ George Szell

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3735437;

Mine is glass and steel, and is the smaller size - it only makes one cup - but there are bigger ones. I think it was like $15 or less.

A lot of people I know have the drip makers with timers or do what you do so they can have the coffee right away in the morning. I like having all of these options available to us fickle drinkers.

+ Reply to Thread