+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Coffee

Re: Coffee

Same here, Miss Scarlet. There is a lot of waste when using a percolator. I don't know why it is though, coffee made from them tastes so much better than from a regular coffee maker.
    "Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Before the invention of the automatic coffee maker, my relatives mostly used a Farberware stove top percolator. It made a strong cup of coffee. I got a Mr. Coffee automatic coffee maker as a wedding shower gift, as well as a Corning electric percolator. I don't use that one as much as it's in our country home, but it brews an excellent cup.

I still have the Mr. Coffee coffee maker and use it when I'm at our Mt. Home. It's 33 y.o.! Hubby fixed it once and it's still going strong!

Yes!!! I had the same Corningware Percolator. I loved that thing.
    I finally wore it out after many, many years. I think I may have worn out the cord & you can't just go out & buy a new one. Replaced it with a new different brand percolator. Left it behind after the divorce because he drank way more coffee than I did (I must have had a temporary moment of generosity).
    Replaced it with a drip coffeemaker I never really cared for. I think it was Gevalia. Still have it up in the top cupboard. Got sick of dumping out all that coffee.
    Started drinking instant.

Then I discovered Keurig. I have the small Mini-Plus. Now I get brewed coffee again.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

When I was able to drink coffee (I miss it so much) I used the single cup funnel with a new grounds filter for each cup. Just boil water, pour it over the grounds in the filter and that wonderful roasted brew funnels directly into the cup. Ahhh....
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I used to do that when I went camping, Arielflies. I used to take a mug, filter, coffee, and immersion heater when I went to a hotel. I HAVE to have a cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Then when it was easy to find a good coffee drive-thru just about anywhere, I would get a cup in the evening and drink it cold in the morning so I wouldn't have to pack all that other stuff. Now most places have a coffee maker in the room, but it makes horrible coffee. Not that I stay in many hotels.
    One time I was chaperoning a class trip to Quebec and we were to have breakfast at a space museum. They had misplaced out reservation and weren't expecting us. We had to herd a bunch of middle school kids in one area of the museum while they called someone to come make us breakfast and I had not had a drop of coffee. I still remember that as being the horrific experience that started my whole bring-your-own fixation. I ended up demanding that the night guard make us a pot of coffee. Not my finest moment.
    agamergirl likes this.
    Count your blessings!

It seems every time I travel the Motel/Hotel has a pot in the room with coffee/creamer/sugar/sugar substitute. Granted, it's not like a fresh morning latte, but I appreciate it. Plus, now it seems microwaves & small refrigerators are becoming a common addition too.
    And I don't stay at ritzy places. Just your common chain ones.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I am absolutely addicted to frappes right now!

I make them at home with 1 tbsp instant coffee, 1 or 2 tbsp sugar (I prefer 2 but since I'm watching my weight I try to cut it back to 1) 1/2 cup milk or water, and 1/2 cup ice. Put it in the blender at high speed until it's smooth and frothy and it tastes wonderful!

Sometimes I make a hot version without the ice, zapping 1/2 cup milk or water in the microwave before mixing everything in the blender. It gets a nice froth on it like a cappuccino.

I'm glad I finally figured out how to make a coffee drink I love at home so I'm not spending a lot of money going out for coffee, and I didn't even have to buy a fancy coffee maker to do it!
    Gutmutter and Arielflies like this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

+ Reply to Thread