+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Coffee

Re: Coffee

I love strong coffee, but don't have the wherewithal to grind it fresh in the morning. I usually get a huge can of store brand Columbian, but when I want something special (strong) I get Mediglia d'oro. In fact, I may need to get some for the weekend. Like being on speed. I keep beans for when I run out. Then I have a little grinder. Too loud for my early morning head. By the way, Mediglia d'oro also makes the only instant coffee that tastes like real brewed. If I know I'm going to be somewhere that I won't have coffee available as soon as I wake up, I take that and an immersion heater with a coffee mug.
    When my kids were little, I used to get the kind you grind in the store. The way the store was set up, it is the last stop before checkout. After grinding it, I would pass the bag around as many times as the kids wanted and we would each put our nose in the bag and inhale deeply. Ahhhhhh. What a fond memory that is! Haven't thought of that for a while.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 10-23-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Gut, get a french press. You'll love it for strong coffee. I got mine at TArget for about $19.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I like the flavor with a French press, but I don't like that a second cup is cold. Maybe I need a better quality one? I have a Tassimo and I use it about 90% of the time for a cup of very strong coffee. Occasionally I will make cappuccino or a latte but first thing in the morning, it is so easy to put in a pod and press a button. My recycling takes the pods, too.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I've been buying mine from Starbuck's and having them grind it for years. I love strong coffee. And, I find it tastes great whether I do a single serving with a Melitta cone, or make it in the drip coffeemaker. I've tried every big coffee chain for coffee and I do find Stabucks to be most pleasing to my palate.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I can't stand Starbucks in the store but I like their beans at home. I love their Tassimo products but they are more expensive than anything else packaged for Tassimo. My favorite is the African Kitamu - mmm. I like the single cone filter as well.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

To keep my coffee hot (for the second cup) in the French press, I just wrap a thick tea towel around the pot, and that works well enough as an insulator while I'm getting ready in the morning.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3733420;
    Grind my own. French press. Usually buy beans from a local roaster.
    Me too. I like to make my own vanilla sugar (stick vanilla beans in table sugar canister - it's delicious) and add half and half.

I also learned (from Alton Brown - Good Eats) that putting a pinch of salt in with the grounds makes the coffee less bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3734948;
    Me too. I like to make my own vanilla sugar (stick vanilla beans in table sugar canister - it's delicious) and add half and half.

I also learned (from Alton Brown - Good Eats) that putting a pinch of salt in with the grounds makes the coffee less bitter.
    That sounds like a good trick. Do you taste the salt at all?
    My culinary daughter came home and made coffee and put a couple shakes of cinnamon on the grounds. It was great! I've been doing that a few mornings a week. Cinnamon is good for you, too.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I have a coffee carafe and I pour the coffee from the french press into that and it stays hot. We "live" upstairs and the kitchen is downstairs, so I put the carafe on a tray with my splenda and cream and bring the entire thing upstairs. But I got the carafe because I didn't like how the french press didn't keep it hot. Mine is glass.

Cannot stand starbucks. I think their coffee tastes burnt.

If I am out, I will opt for McDonalds coffee which is surprisingly good and not expensive and the ONLY thing I order from there or Liquid Highway. I avoid Starbucks at all costs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I never owned a french press myrosiedog, but I hear rave reviews by everyone who has one. Once the coffee is made in a french press, can you keep it on a low-heat stove to keep it warm?
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

+ Reply to Thread