+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Coffee

Re: Coffee

I love strong coffee, but don't have the wherewithal to grind it fresh in the morning. I usually get a huge can of store brand Columbian, but when I want something special (strong) I get Mediglia d'oro. In fact, I may need to get some for the weekend. Like being on speed. I keep beans for when I run out. Then I have a little grinder. Too loud for my early morning head. By the way, Mediglia d'oro also makes the only instant coffee that tastes like real brewed. If I know I'm going to be somewhere that I won't have coffee available as soon as I wake up, I take that and an immersion heater with a coffee mug.
    When my kids were little, I used to get the kind you grind in the store. The way the store was set up, it is the last stop before checkout. After grinding it, I would pass the bag around as many times as the kids wanted and we would each put our nose in the bag and inhale deeply. Ahhhhhh. What a fond memory that is! Haven't thought of that for a while.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 10-23-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Gut, get a french press. You'll love it for strong coffee. I got mine at TArget for about $19.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I like the flavor with a French press, but I don't like that a second cup is cold. Maybe I need a better quality one? I have a Tassimo and I use it about 90% of the time for a cup of very strong coffee. Occasionally I will make cappuccino or a latte but first thing in the morning, it is so easy to put in a pod and press a button. My recycling takes the pods, too.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I've been buying mine from Starbuck's and having them grind it for years. I love strong coffee. And, I find it tastes great whether I do a single serving with a Melitta cone, or make it in the drip coffeemaker. I've tried every big coffee chain for coffee and I do find Stabucks to be most pleasing to my palate.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I can't stand Starbucks in the store but I like their beans at home. I love their Tassimo products but they are more expensive than anything else packaged for Tassimo. My favorite is the African Kitamu - mmm. I like the single cone filter as well.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

To keep my coffee hot (for the second cup) in the French press, I just wrap a thick tea towel around the pot, and that works well enough as an insulator while I'm getting ready in the morning.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3733420;
    Grind my own. French press. Usually buy beans from a local roaster.
    Me too. I like to make my own vanilla sugar (stick vanilla beans in table sugar canister - it's delicious) and add half and half.

I also learned (from Alton Brown - Good Eats) that putting a pinch of salt in with the grounds makes the coffee less bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3734948;
    Me too. I like to make my own vanilla sugar (stick vanilla beans in table sugar canister - it's delicious) and add half and half.

I also learned (from Alton Brown - Good Eats) that putting a pinch of salt in with the grounds makes the coffee less bitter.
    That sounds like a good trick. Do you taste the salt at all?
    My culinary daughter came home and made coffee and put a couple shakes of cinnamon on the grounds. It was great! I've been doing that a few mornings a week. Cinnamon is good for you, too.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I have a coffee carafe and I pour the coffee from the french press into that and it stays hot. We "live" upstairs and the kitchen is downstairs, so I put the carafe on a tray with my splenda and cream and bring the entire thing upstairs. But I got the carafe because I didn't like how the french press didn't keep it hot. Mine is glass.

Cannot stand starbucks. I think their coffee tastes burnt.

If I am out, I will opt for McDonalds coffee which is surprisingly good and not expensive and the ONLY thing I order from there or Liquid Highway. I avoid Starbucks at all costs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I never owned a french press myrosiedog, but I hear rave reviews by everyone who has one. Once the coffee is made in a french press, can you keep it on a low-heat stove to keep it warm?
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread