+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Crockpot recipes

Re: Crockpot recipes

Yesterday was a cold rainy autumn day here in Michigan. The perfect Chicken Soup weather. I had a lot of running around to do, so out comes the crock pot. 6 hours later - the perfect chicken soup!
    I used the recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, however, I used boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces. I put all the veggies, and chicken in the crock post. I used chicken broth for the liquid (no water) covered and set the crockpot for 6 hours. After 5 hours, I added the noodles and replaced the cover. An hour later - yummy soup!

Ana--that sounds so good! I like the idea of using boneless chicken breast and chicken broth.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3717689;
    I thought my crockpot lasage was delish. Dh didn't care for it so much. I used the no boil noodles which are thinner than regular noodles and he didn't like those plus there were no browned edges. But I'd make it again just for the convenience.
    You could probably throw the lasagna under the broiler for a minute or two to get brown and bubbly. You'd have to be careful though, I think and not too close to the element. You could also, use regular noodles and make the sauce a bit thinner. I always put in uncooked regular noodles in my oven cooked lasagna, and make the sauce with a bit more liquid. It works out great.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3716204;
    Here you go! I haven't tried this in the crock pot, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've also used canned chicken in it. Cheese can be whatever you prefer - we like Monterey Jack.

Mexican Lasagna

12 lasagna noodles
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    8 oz. sour cream
    1/4 cup milk
    3 cups cooked, diced chicken
    1 1/4 tsp. cumin
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I use more)
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    1 small can sliced black olives
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    3 cups shredded cheese
    1 cup crushed tortilla chips
    Cilantro (optional)

Mix chicken, soup, sour cream, milk, cumin and garlic in large bowl

Grease pan (or crock pot )

Layers:

1 1/4 cup chicken mixture
    4 noodles
    1 1/4 cup chicken mix
    Green onions and Cilantro
    1 cup cheese
    4 noodles
    1 1/4 cup chicken mix
    Olives and green pepper
    1 cup cheese
    4 noodles
    Remaining chicken mix

Bake @ 350, uncovered for 30 minutes.
    Sprinkle with crushed chips and remaining cheese.
    Bake 15-20 minutes more
    Let stand before cutting

I'm guessing the crock pot time would be about the same as the other recipe. If you try it, let me know how it is!
    I made this last night, although not in the crock pot. I had all the ingredients except cilantro and the cumin that I would have sworn was in my cupboard, but wasn't. So, I mixed the sauce up and added an envelope of taco seasoning (for chicken tacos if that makes a difference) I baked it in the oven, because it's been so cold here so I didn't mind my house being heated up, and my husband said it was the best Mexican Lasagna he'd ever eaten.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am doing a beef bourguignon today in the crock pot. I have never tried it before but ever since I saw Julie & Julia I have been thinking about it. I looked over alot of recipes on the internet for this and found a few that seemed simple and easy.

Has anyone ever tried this and if so how was it?
    Last edited by taracran; 10-04-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

I will have to try the lasagna recipe! It sounds so yummy. I make a great enchilada casserole with either ground beef (i use turkey) or chicken in the crock pot that is super easy.

Brown the meat, drain-I mix in a packet of taco seasoning to add a bit of flavor to the meat
    Mix 1 can chopped olives and some garlic to the meat. You can also add diced onion if you like them
    Pour a tiny bit of enchilada sauce (I use Rosarita) into the beef mixture
    Layer corn tortilla, beef mixture, cheese ( I use shredded cheddar) and sauce (just pour over the meat and cheese) in crock pot, repeat until full. I like a lot of cheese to I end with meat, cheese, sauce, and more cheese
    Cook on low. I have a fast cooking crock pot but I have left it on for 5-6 hours and it is fine
    Top with sour cream

With the chicken I used grilled pre cooked strips that I just shredded and mixed in a bowl with a taco seasoning packet, chopped olives, garlic and a bit of chicken broth to make the seasoning sticky
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3717710;
    You could probably throw the lasagna under the broiler for a minute or two to get brown and bubbly. You'd have to be careful though, I think and not too close to the element. You could also, use regular noodles and make the sauce a bit thinner. I always put in uncooked regular noodles in my oven cooked lasagna, and make the sauce with a bit more liquid. It works out great.
    I normally use regular uncooked noodles in my lasagne too! People always think I'm nuts when I tell them that. When I worked in the dorms at the college we never cooked the noodles beforehand and the lasagna turned out great.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Have any of you noticed that crockpots are on sale right now? The Rival Smart-Pot that I have is a great price right now at a local store. It has high and low temps, a timer, removable ceramic dish and it goes to a warming cycle when the time is up. I think it is about 5.5 quarts, which is a good size for the big recipes. I have a small one, too, for making spiced cider, etc.

I like whole wheat noodles -- and, with a little bit of thought, they're not difficult to cook and get good results. A helluva lot healthier than processed white-flour pasta, and more flavorful, as a bonus.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by taracran;3717731;
    I am doing a beef bourguignon today in the crock pot. I have never tried it before but ever since I saw Julie & Julia I have been thinking about it. I looked over alot of recipes on the internet for this and found a few that seemed simple and easy.

Has anyone ever tried this and if so how was it?
    Haven't done it yet -- am waiting for weather to get cool enough to do so. Looking forward to it, and will post results.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread