+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Crockpot recipes

MRD

Re: Crockpot recipes

So how much cocoa powder would you reccomend for a pot of chili. Or would you use solid chocolate instead of cocoa powder?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Like I said, I use a squirt of Hershey's syrup, so I'm guessing one or two tablespoons. I have to go to a wedding tomorrow, so I'm going to make my weekend lasagna this afternoon so I can keep an eye on it. I can't wait! I love lasagna and now I can't imagine why I've never made it before. But I love cooking in my crockpot.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I have a great vegetarian lasagna, wonder if I could make it in the crockpot. It has lots of artichokes, red peppers, etc. in it.

I am making chili in the crockpot tonight. We are finally having Chili weather.

I am sure you could cook that in the crockpot MRD. Actually, I think veggies take longer to cook, if I'm not mistaken (I'm not a big crockpotter but I think I read this). Could you post your vegetarian recipe, if you get the chance? My daughter is vegetarian, and I make one, but I've kind of made it up. I just make the sauce with a lot of veggies, and add chopped spinach to the cottage cheese/parmesan/egg mix. I would love one with artichokes in it. Thanks

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3716317;
    I am sure you could cook that in the crockpot MRD. Actually, I think veggies take longer to cook, if I'm not mistaken (I'm not a big crockpotter but I think I read this). Could you post your vegetarian recipe, if you get the chance? My daughter is vegetarian, and I make one, but I've kind of made it up. I just make the sauce with a lot of veggies, and add chopped spinach to the cottage cheese/parmesan/egg mix. I would love one with artichokes in it. Thanks
    The veggies get sauted first. Sure I'll post it in just recipes. It's fabulous. I actually like it better than the regular lasagna.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3716278;
    So how much cocoa powder would you reccomend for a pot of chili. Or would you use solid chocolate instead of cocoa powder?
    It doesn't take much -- about a teaspoon and a half of unsweetened cocoa powder. (I don't use solid chocolate -- different texture, extra fat.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

This is a great thread to read. I am looking forward to trying the recipes posted here. Right now I am making Frijoles in my crockpot. I will take some of them and freeze them and we will use them in a variety of dishes. I am especially looking forward to putting them with sauteed sweet peppers and onions with rice on flour tortillas.

Frijoles
    1 pound dried pinto beans
    1 large onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon cumin or comino
    1/2 teaspoon of oregano
    3 pieces of bacon cut up
    1 jalapeno pepper cut in rings (optional)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    water or stock

Soak beans overnight or bring beans to boil and then let soak for 3-4 hours.
    Drain the water.
    Set the crockpot on high.
    In the crockpot add the bacon, onion & garlic and cook for a bit.
    Add the beans and seasonings
    Add fresh water to cover the beans and then some.
    Simmer in a crockpot on high for 4 hours or until the beans are tender.

Serve with Mexican food, add to rice, etc.

This is inexpensive and 1 cup has around 10 g. fiber and 14 g. of protein

That sounds really good. I have a lot of dried beans to use up and appreciate different recipes for them. Thanks!
    My crockpot lasagna turned out really soupy. I didn't have a recipe to follow, so just layered the stuff everyone mentioned using. I wish I hadn't used whole wheat noodles. I've never liked whole wheat pasta and this time wasn't any different. Did I use too much sauce? I think I'll have to try it again in the future with regular noodles and much less sauce.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3717675;
    That sounds really good. I have a lot of dried beans to use up and appreciate different recipes for them. Thanks!
    My crockpot lasagna turned out really soupy. I didn't have a recipe to follow, so just layered the stuff everyone mentioned using. I wish I hadn't used whole wheat noodles. I've never liked whole wheat pasta and this time wasn't any different. Did I use too much sauce? I think I'll have to try it again in the future with regular noodles and much less sauce.
    My family loves whole wheat noodles and I have never liked them either.
    You may have used too much sauce.

I thought my crockpot lasage was delish. Dh didn't care for it so much. I used the no boil noodles which are thinner than regular noodles and he didn't like those plus there were no browned edges. But I'd make it again just for the convenience.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread