+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Crockpot recipes

Re: Crockpot recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3714472;
    Chocolate/chili works very well. But I use a dark, unsweetened cocoa powder so that I can control any sugars myself. The cocoa adds a nice "this is good; what the heck's your secret ingredient" depth factor.
    Most tomato-based recipes need a little sugar, but cocoa powder works fine, too.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3714626;
    Can someone point me to the crockpot lasagne recipe? I can't find it!
    livin, I pm'd you with a good site to go to for that recipe.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3714710;
    Most tomato-based recipes need a little sugar, but cocoa powder works fine, too.
    I know, but for me, chocolate syrup has too much sugar and too low a cocoa percentage.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Our crockpot lasagna was delicious. I'll be making that again. I have a Mexican Lasagna recipe (chicken, black olives, green peppers) that I'm going to dig out and try in the crockpot soon!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I have all the ingredients for crockpot lasagna this weekend. After reading about your Mexican lasagna, I may get creative with a few ingredients. I'm the only one who has to like it.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Livin, there isn't really a "recipe". Use your own recipe and cook it in the crockpot. I have an oval one and I broke up the noodles, they still didn't fit great, but they fit good enough.
    Watch the cooking time. Mine was ready about 4 hours before I thought it would be.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3713881;
    I'll try the crockpot lasagne this weekend. I know everyone will LOVE it, they all love lasagne but I make it rarely because of the mess, time, anda expense. (I usually make up a triple batch and freeze several pans). I won't be eating much of it..I've lost 9lbs.
    Good for you Livin!!! That's great!!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3715552;
    Livin, there isn't really a "recipe". Use your own recipe and cook it in the crockpot. I have an oval one and I broke up the noodles, they still didn't fit great, but they fit good enough.
    Watch the cooking time. Mine was ready about 4 hours before I thought it would be.
    I'm glad the crockpot lasagna worked out well for everyone and I'm sorry I didn't post an actual recipe, I'm not a great recipe follower myself and I tend to throw in whatever I have on hand into a lasagna.

mrd, you cooked yours on high, right? I used the low setting as I threw it together before leaving for the day. Livin, another thing that I mentioned is that I think it's a good idea to let it "rest" in the crock for a good 1/2 hour before serving, just like you'd do for an oven lasagna.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3715503;
    I have all the ingredients for crockpot lasagna this weekend. After reading about your Mexican lasagna, I may get creative with a few ingredients. I'm the only one who has to like it.

Here you go! I haven't tried this in the crock pot, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've also used canned chicken in it. Cheese can be whatever you prefer - we like Monterey Jack.

Mexican Lasagna

12 lasagna noodles
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    8 oz. sour cream
    1/4 cup milk
    3 cups cooked, diced chicken
    1 1/4 tsp. cumin
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I use more)
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    1 small can sliced black olives
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    3 cups shredded cheese
    1 cup crushed tortilla chips
    Cilantro (optional)

Mix chicken, soup, sour cream, milk, cumin and garlic in large bowl

Grease pan (or crock pot )

Layers:

1 1/4 cup chicken mixture
    4 noodles
    1 1/4 cup chicken mix
    Green onions and Cilantro
    1 cup cheese
    4 noodles
    1 1/4 cup chicken mix
    Olives and green pepper
    1 cup cheese
    4 noodles
    Remaining chicken mix

Bake @ 350, uncovered for 30 minutes.
    Sprinkle with crushed chips and remaining cheese.
    Bake 15-20 minutes more
    Let stand before cutting

I'm guessing the crock pot time would be about the same as the other recipe. If you try it, let me know how it is!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3715552;
    I totally agree, myrosiedog! I have tried this twice and both times I overcooked it! (both times, I was leaving the house so couldn't really assess when it was done!) The noodles were very mushy that the family said "yuck". I really think it can be done around 4 hours (or even less!) on low. I am determined to try again sometime but just really watch the cooking time. Definitely was waaaay overdone at 6 hours on low.

+ Reply to Thread