+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Crockpot recipes

Re: Crockpot recipes

MamaC, that sounds delish! I love doing roasts in a crockpot, but I put the vegetables on top (not sure if it matters)? I'll bet it works equally well either way.

Most recipes involving pork or beef say to brown (in a skillet or roasting pan) on both sides before moving it to the crockpot (or roasting pan). I always thought browning was to seal the juices in, but I thought the point of a roast (with veggies) was to have the meat flavor the veggies too). ?

I saw a wonderfully simple roast with veggies on a PBS cooking show set in Finland. It was outdoor stove cooking, but would work in a crockpot. It was lamb and beef chunks (could do either or), turnips (could substitute potatoes, I'm sure), cabbage, and carrots. I'll watch it again and post in the other thread.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

MRD

I had to break my noodles funny, but it didn't matter in the end.

I used to sear or brown roasts before adding to the crockpot. I don't anymore and don't see that much of a difference. Especially in something you end up shredding anyway.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm going to try that shredded roast this weekend. That sounds great and easy enough for me!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3713723;
    I, too, have one of those old round crockpots, not the newer, oval kind. Got it as a shower gift almost 30 years ago and it still works fine. So can I make this lasagna in one of those kind of crockpots?

-----------------------
    On my noon news each day, we have Mr. Food doing a little recipe segment. On today's show, he had a crockpot recipe. My first thought was to post it on here, since so many love to cook up meals in the crockpot. Have no idea how it tastes, but here goes.......

Cuban Shredded Beef
    4 to 6 servings

1 large green bell pepper, chopped
    1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 (2-1/2- to 3-pound) bottom round roast
    1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

1. In a slow cooker (3-1/2 quarts or larger), combine bell pepper, onion, and garlic; place roast on top of vegetables.
    2. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper; mix well and pour over roast. Cover and cook on high setting 7 to 8 hours, or until meat pulls apart with a fork.
    3. Turn off slow cooker and shred beef by pulling it apart with 2 forks. Stir beef mixture and allow to sit 5 minutes.

NOTE: Serve with rice and beans or on a crusty roll.
    I made something very similar to this over the weekend. It was from allrecipes.com (my favorite website).

INGREDIENTS
    1 (2 pound) beef chuck pot roast
    3 cloves garlic
    2 red bell peppers, cut into large wedges
    2 green bell peppers, cut into large wedges
    1 yellow onion, cut into wedges
    1 sweet onion, cut into wedges
    1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, or to taste
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
    1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt, or to taste
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
    Pierce the beef roast to tenderize it and let the flavors in, and place it into a slow cooker with the garlic, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, yellow onions and sweet onions. Stir in the tomato paste and red wine vinegar. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, seasoned salt, salt, and ground black pepper.
    Cover, and cook on Low until the beef is tender, 7 to 8 hours. Remove beef, and shred into long strands using two forks. Return the meat to the slow cooker and combine with the vegetables.
    Cook on Low until the meat and vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.

Ropa Vieja in a Slow Cooker - All Recipes

I also made Emeril's recipe for yellow rice Yellow Rice Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network and heated up a can of black beans.

I'll try the crockpot lasagne this weekend. I know everyone will LOVE it, they all love lasagne but I make it rarely because of the mess, time, anda expense. (I usually make up a triple batch and freeze several pans). I won't be eating much of it..I've lost 9lbs.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Woo-hoo, congrats on the 9 lbs, livin4reality!

My dad is the only person I've seen brown the meat before roasting. He says it is a very valuable and important step in the process, and his meals always taste fabulous. At my house, I'm usually too lazy pressed for time and just toss it in straight from the packaging.
    remember to play

I brown if I'm making a roast or beef stew, but not if I'm going to shred it.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3712219;
    Good Lord! That's why I do cans. I'm too lazy to do a recipe that involved.
    The chocolate/chili combo works both ways. You can sprinkle a little into hot chocolate or brownie batter. They enhance each other but you can't actually taste them.
    Chocolate/chili works very well. But I use a dark, unsweetened cocoa powder so that I can control any sugars myself. The cocoa adds a nice "this is good; what the heck's your secret ingredient" depth factor.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MamaC - I've made 'crockpot lasagna' in both my round crockpot, and my oval smaller one. You have to break up the noodles to fit the crockpot, anyway. I don't think the shape of the crockpot matters.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Can someone point me to the crockpot lasagne recipe? I can't find it!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread