+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Crockpot recipes

Re: Crockpot recipes

I'm crockpoting the lasagna today. I have to say, if you have a small crockpot like mine, you can halve all the ingredients. I was going to make a second little dish to put in the freezer, but then I realized I'd have to boil the noodles, so I just bagged up everything until I have time to do the boiling. It smells fantastic!

Does anyone have a dessert recipe they have tried out in a crockpot?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Cootie, I think I'd need to be taken to the emergency room if I ate that chili! All those hot peppers

I just pulled a ham bone out of the freezer to make bean soup in the slow cooker this week The house is going to smell so good!

I have a rather large crock pot, so I'd probably have more lasagna than I could handle! Still, I may have to give it a try and clear some space in the freezer for leftovers.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3712219;
    Good Lord! That's why I do cans. I'm too lazy to do a recipe that involved.
    The chocolate/chili combo works both ways. You can sprinkle a little into hot chocolate or brownie batter. They enhance each other but you can't actually taste them.
    It was certainly an amazing cooking adventure for me. And my family all works in the garden so they were happy to eat what we grew. I used to be very afraid of all those peppers that Mr. C grows, but have learned that they give our meals some flavor! I will give your chocolate idea a try one of these days as that sounds very good.

Critical, it was spicy, but not as crazy hot as I thought it would be. We had some sour cream on the side to use as a garnish and that tempered the fire quite nicely.

I've got the lasagna in the crockpot too! It smells really good and we can't wait to try it. We used ground turkey, whole wheat noodles and a mix of riccotta, mozzarella and parmesan.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

One of the things I really liked about the crockpot lasagna is that I got to use more noodles. The pan I use for lasagna limits the number of layers I can make in it and I found with the crockpot, I could make a lot of layers and use more noodles and that made me happy.

This is a winner, winner, crockpot dinner!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: Crockpot Lasagna - I started it at 8am and put it on low, thinking it would take a good 6 hours to cook but it's almost 1pm and it's already finished. So if it takes my crockpot 4 1/2 hours on low then I'm guessing 2 1/2 hours on high? I haven't officially tried it yet but the sliver I cut out to see if the noodles were done tasted pretty good! I used the white curly edged noodles as my husband is strongly against whole wheat pasta (or ground turkey). But I will try it with wheat and turkey next time he is out of town and I bet if I had used whole wheat pasta it would have taken a little longer to cook.

I'm not sure about my layering because the noodles are kind of in there funny since I had to break them into different sizes to fit but it smells good and I'm sure it will taste just as good too.

I'm so happy I know how to make this for the crockpot now (Thanks AJane for sharing)! The longest preparation was from browning the meat. The rest was just a matter of mixing the cheeses and layering. Oh, and I did use one egg with the ricotta mixture and sprayed the inside with non-stick spray first.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 09-28-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I guess I'm just going to have to try this lasagna/crockpot craze! Everyone seems to love it. I've never made any kind of lasagna before, but I love lasagna. Next weekend for sure, unless I finish this chili up quickly. Sounds like the lasagna is pretty quick, so if I started it right after school, I'd have it for dinner (and lunch the next few days).
    Count your blessings!

I made sauce today so that I can make the crockpot lasagna tomorrow :-) (And as a result, it's warm in the NorthEast today ;-) )

I can't wait to try it!

I'm doing some cooking of various things tomorrow (to freeze and fridge), and am going to start off by starting a crockpot of something, not sure what yet. I have enough on hand to make about 4 different entrees (with a little "winging it").

Probably will do the "heals everything" soup that Gutmutter posted, or maybe chili. The other stuff will be non-crockpot, unless I start 2 crockpots going. A friend has one of the large oval ones, and I have the oldstyle smaller round one.

We like to take one day or 3/4 day to cook up several things, and usually get 4-8 meals out of each dish. With 2 cooks and 2 "clean-as-we-goers", it really minimizes the total prep/cleaning time of doing one meal at a time. The hardest part is staying out of each other's way in the kitchen and both needing the sink at the same time. And one is not as willing to compromise for cooking methods (not me, lol). But we usually agree on spices and tasting.

I've done the same thing with 2 cooks working at their own homes, and then just trading this for that afterwards. It works great! Kinda like a Christmas cookie party...
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I, too, have one of those old round crockpots, not the newer, oval kind. Got it as a shower gift almost 30 years ago and it still works fine. So can I make this lasagna in one of those kind of crockpots?

-----------------------
    On my noon news each day, we have Mr. Food doing a little recipe segment. On today's show, he had a crockpot recipe. My first thought was to post it on here, since so many love to cook up meals in the crockpot. Have no idea how it tastes, but here goes.......

Cuban Shredded Beef
    4 to 6 servings

1 large green bell pepper, chopped
    1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 (2-1/2- to 3-pound) bottom round roast
    1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

1. In a slow cooker (3-1/2 quarts or larger), combine bell pepper, onion, and garlic; place roast on top of vegetables.
    2. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper; mix well and pour over roast. Cover and cook on high setting 7 to 8 hours, or until meat pulls apart with a fork.
    3. Turn off slow cooker and shred beef by pulling it apart with 2 forks. Stir beef mixture and allow to sit 5 minutes.

NOTE: Serve with rice and beans or on a crusty roll.

+ Reply to Thread