+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Crockpot recipes

Re: Crockpot recipes

Oh, canuck, that sounds fantastic! Wow. How much would you say the recipe makes-- I'm single, so if it only keeps for a couple months, I might have to think about halving the recipe or something like that..

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3711703;
    I have crockpot lasagna cooking as I type this.
    I plan to make it Monday so let me know how yours turns out and how you made it. I have the hamburger meat but have to go shopping for the rest.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

It makes a lot, so halving it would probably be a good idea. It will stain the tupperware container you put it in (green) so keep that in mind. I don't know exactly how much it makes, but it will be 3-4 cups anyways. I use it by the teaspoon or tablespoon so it's lots. I also combine it with mayo to make a really good dip for nachos, or veggies or whatever. My whole family loves it.

Great-- I'll have to give it a try. Sounds delicious.

I've been inspired by reading this thread and decided to make some chili using produce from my garden. I found a recipe called Habanero Hellfire Chili that I modified a bit, browned everything in a skillet and combined them in my large crockpot. I cut the habenero chilies down to 3, added fresh Roma tomatoes instead of using canned tomatoes and added a few other types of chilies growing in my garden - bell, Anaheim, jalapeno and some other pepper that looks like a large jalapeno but is not as hot.

It is cooking right now, and after a taste I am looking for something to keep my mouth from burning up! Maybe some sour cream or something in yogurt as I know that dairy helps cool the fire. It is tasty so far. After we try it, I'll post the recipe as I made it, including the beer and bacon.

I am looking forward to trying the lasagne recipe and many others you all have shared. Thanks!

I've been trying to make a crockpot recipe on the weekends so I have something easy and healthy when I get home from work (my danger zone for eating). Last week I made the tomato based bean soup, the week before my cure-anything veggie soup. Today is raw and rainy and I started craving chili. The only meat I had was buffalo burgers from Trader Joe's so I'm having buffalo chili with black beans (thought I had red, but no). I know some of you are better cooks than me, so forgive my meals out of a can recipes.
    Crockpot Chili:
    1 large can beans (kidney or black)
    1 large can crushed tomatoes
    1 lg. or 2 sm. onions sauteed
    hamburger (or buffalo or boca) browned with taco seasoning
    chili powder (2 T. is what I use - to taste)
    CHOCOLATE SYRUP - big squirt (Jeff Smith cooking show tip - traditional combo in S. Am.)

Cook on high until bubbly, switch to low or warm.
    If you brown the meat well, you don't have to cook it too long before you start "sampling".
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Crockpot lasagna makes a LOT. But it was fabulous. But my crockpot must cook on high at a much higher temp. Cooking on high for 4 hours and it was done. When I make this again (and I will, so easy), I will cook on low for 6-8 hours.
    But it was firm, well the texture of lasagna, not runny and tasted great. And I have enough to freeze for other meals.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

I used a mixture of hamburger and italian sausage as that's what I had on hand. Same for the ricotta, I had some of that and some cottage cheese.
    I did chop up fresh basil and mix that with an egg and the ricotta and cottage cheeses. Also added in some mozz. and parm. to the ricotta mixture.
    But other than that, I just did jarred sauce, whole wheat noodles and I sauted an onion and some garlic with the ground meat.

Very, good. Thanks for posting this. This is very easy to make and very, very good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3712073;
    I've been trying to make a crockpot recipe on the weekends so I have something easy and healthy when I get home from work (my danger zone for eating). Last week I made the tomato based bean soup, the week before my cure-anything veggie soup. Today is raw and rainy and I started craving chili. The only meat I had was buffalo burgers from Trader Joe's so I'm having buffalo chili with black beans (thought I had red, but no). I know some of you are better cooks than me, so forgive my meals out of a can recipes.
    Crockpot Chili:
    1 large can beans (kidney or black)
    1 large can crushed tomatoes
    1 lg. or 2 sm. onions sauteed
    hamburger (or buffalo or boca) browned with taco seasoning
    chili powder (2 T. is what I use - to taste)
    CHOCOLATE SYRUP - big squirt (Jeff Smith cooking show tip - traditional combo in S. Am.)

Cook on high until bubbly, switch to low or warm.
    If you brown the meat well, you don't have to cook it too long before you start "sampling".
    This looks very simple and doable especially when there are fewer fresh ingredients available in the cooler months. The chocolate syrup looks interesting!

Here is the recipe for chili that I made yesterday - it took me hours with all the chopping of hot peppers, but I now have plenty of leftovers for another dinner and some for the freezer. I am writing the recipe as I found it but noting what I actually used...it was not a crockpot recipe and I used more fresh ingredients because they were filling up my refrigerator!

Habanero Chili

* 1/2 pound bacon
    * 1 pound ground round
    * 1 pound ground pork (I tried ground turkey instead, pork would be better)
    * 1 green bell pepper, diced
    * 1 yellow onion, diced
    * 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
    * 6 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped (I used 3)
    * 8 Anaheim peppers, seeded and diced
    (I added another spicy but not hot pepper)
    (All together I ended up with 2 cups of diced hot peppers - I used gloves for this step!)
    * 2 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
    * 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes(I skipped these as I had enough peppers!)
    * 3 tablespoons chili powder (tried a combo of a California and New Mexico type)
    * 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules (I used Trader Joes Beef Broth and used less water - added about a cup)
    * 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (didn't use)
    * 2 (16 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, drained (I added 4 cups of fresh Roma tomatoes)
    * 2 (16 ounce) cans chili beans, drained (I used one pound of red beans that I soaked and drained)
    * 1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
    * 3 ounces tomato paste (I used 6 oz)
    * 1 ounce chile paste (didn't have so didn't use)
    * 2 cups water (didn't use - just added the beef broth and beer - they were enough in the crockpot)

DIRECTIONS (this is how I used the fresh ingredients and the crockpot)

Cook bacon, set aside and chop

Saute the tomatoes and the hot peppers until soft, run through a food mill to remove skins, seeds, etc. Put into the crockpot on high

Brown the meat, garlic onions and bell pepper and combine with the tomato pepper sauce and the bacon

Add the spices, beer, beef broth, etc and cook until the beans are tender - it took about 4 hours on high for me.

Original Canned Tomato Directions:

1. Place bacon in a large soup pot. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain excess grease, leaving enough to coat bottom of pot Remove bacon, drain on paper towels and chop.
    2. Brown beef and pork in pot over medium high heat. When meat is browned, stir in the bell pepper, onion, jalapeno peppers, habanero peppers, Anaheim peppers, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder, bouillon, crushed tomatoes, whole tomatoes, beer, tomato paste, chile paste and water.
    3. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans and bacon and continue simmering for another 30 minutes.

Good Lord! That's why I do cans. I'm too lazy to do a recipe that involved.
    The chocolate/chili combo works both ways. You can sprinkle a little into hot chocolate or brownie batter. They enhance each other but you can't actually taste them.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread