+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Crockpot recipes

Re: Crockpot recipes

Bone broth! From beef tendon and duck feet.
    Gutmutter likes this.

I re-read most of this thread and this seems to be a real favorite: Lasagna posted by Ness

1 lb. ground beef
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
    1 large jar spaghetti sauce (such as Ragu in the 1 lb. 10 ounce jar)
    1 package (8 ounces) no-boil lasagna noodles
    16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 lb. ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup milk
    1 egg
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan/Romano cheese
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Preparation:
    Brown the beef, onion, and garlic in a little oil in a frying pan. Drain off any grease.
    Add the spaghetti sauce into the browned meat mixture. Mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, milk, and egg. Beat until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Then mix in the mozzarella cheese and the grated cheese, so that all the cheeses are combined.

Grease the slow cooker/Crock Pot with some vegetable shortening on the bottom and sides.

Put about 1/4 of the meat and sauce mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker/Crock Pot. Put a layer of noodles on top of that (break or cut them if needed). Put about 1/3 of the cheese mixture on top of that. Then repeat with sauce, noodles, cheese for another 2 layers. Top with meat sauce. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until noodles are tender.
    Lasagna recipe posted by Ness
    Count your blessings!

For Ariel....

This blog is a great resource for all things slow cooker. This is specifically about dried beans: A Year of Slow Cooking: Cooking Dried Beans in the Slow Cooker

I generally cook up a whole back of beans and then divide it into three little ziploc bacgs to freeze. It takes a little preplanning, but it's worth it. If I'm just doing soup, I rinse and soak the night before. I just pop them into the fridge in the crock from my slow cooker. Then I can just pull it out in the morning, pour out the water and put it into the cooker and I'm ready to go!

My cheap and easy slow cooker "recipe" is just chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and some rosemary, salt and pepper, with a little oil and some white wine, if I have it. I also do this in the regular oven in my cast iron Dutch oven. I don't even have a cooking time on it. I just put it in and let it cook until I remember it's in there again! Chicken thighs are pretty easy because, unlike chicken breasts, it's practically impossible to overcook them.

Generally when I make a quick soup, I just throw in some onion, celery and carrots, with a can of chopped tomatoes, maybe a can of Garbanzo beans or some beans I've cooked and frozen, along with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and basil....maybe some chicken or some kind of sausage of I have it. Then I just let it cook for the day. I don't usually follow a set recipe, although I have posted a few in this thread. Some are spicy, but it wouldn't be hard to eliminate that

I know lots of people use their slow cookers for roasts, but that's usually not in the budget. I like mine for soups and stews. A good cassoulet is the best on a cold night and beans and chicken thighs are super cheap. This is a recipe I posted upthread, but it was easier to find it on my hard drive:
    Easy Crockpot Cassoulet

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
    1/4 pound cooked smoked sausage, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    4 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons water
    3 cans (about 15 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
    3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion to hot oil; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in chicken, sausage, garlic, thyme, and pepper. Cook 5 to 8 minutes, or until chicken and sausage are browned. Stir in tomato paste and water; transfer to slow cooker. Stir great northern beans into the chicken mixture; cover and cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours. Before serving, sprinkle parsley over cassoulet.
    Serves 6.
    If I don't want to buy the sausage, I just leave it out. Sometimes you can get it on sale though, so I just freeze what I don't use. It's a pretty affordable bunch of ingredients and it's really filling.
    Arielflies likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

Thank you so much Critical. Taking off to check out the link.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

We have been doing a lot of simple crock pot recipes lately. Chicken, sometimes breast, sometimes thigh, sometimes even tenders...some kind of cream of soup (mushroom, chicken, celery), and a small bag of California blend veggies. We've been having a small salad on the side to go with them. This week we used our vacuum sealer and prepackaged them into dump bags. Besides that, last week we did thighs, mix of honey/ketchup/garlic/soy sauce on top and that was yummy!
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I like mac & cheese best in the crock. Boil a box of elbow macaroni (or whatever kind you prefer, I find fusilli works well). Maybe another half-box if you're feeding a crowd. Mix it with a bag of shredded Double Cheddar cheese, about a 1/4 cup of butter, & a can of condensed milk plus one cup of regular milk. Mince a medium-size onion and add that, along with a crushed garlic clove or two. Salt & pepper to taste, and cook it on low for 4-5 hrs.

I like to throw in some extra cheese (if I'm gonna make it, I make it decadent ). Whatever I have on hand- Swiss, mozzarella, cream cheese, etc. You can't mess up mac & cheese.
    I've made macaroni and cheese in the crockpot before with this same recipe. It's delicious!
    Gutmutter likes this.
    "Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm trying a new (for me) recipe in the crockpot today - chicken and corn chowder. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    angelic_one2002 and Gutmutter like this.
    I'm Paula.

+ Reply to Thread