+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637

Thread: Crockpot recipes

Re: Crockpot recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I thought Crock Pot was a brand, like Kleenex, and slow cooker was the type of appliance
    It is. I'm not sure who owns the trademark now, but the name was created the The Rival Company, my favourite small appliance company if only because they make a stainless steel electric frying pan. Those suckers are hard to find.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

OK..found this info: Crockpot, Crockery Cooker, or Slow Cooker, What's the Difference

Question: Crockery cooker or slow cooker... what's the difference?
    Answer: The most common models have a crockery pot insert and the heating elements are housed in the sides, so the heat actually surrounds the food. The two heat settings are LOW (200 degrees) and HIGH (300 degrees). The other type of slow cooker, or "multi-cooker" usually cooks from the bottom and might have a thermostat allowing a wide range of temperatures. Recipes cooked in this type of cooker might need occasional stirring. Every time the lid is lifted, add 20 minutes to the overall cooking time to keep them from scorching on the bottom.
    The term Crock-PotŪ is actually Rival Manufacturing Company's trademarked name, but the terms crockpot, crockery cooker, and slow cooker generally have the same meaning. Most recipes designed for the slow cooker are with the two-setting Rival model in mind, so adjust accordingly if using another brand of cooker, and read the manufacturer's instructions and sample recipes.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I have a Hamilton Beach slow cooker and a mini Crock Pot. They both heat from the bottom. I've never heard of any of those types of cookers heating from the sides

livin4reality - if you can find that article, I'd be curious to read it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I hope the description I posted #362 helps. The thing I read was in a '95 BH&G cookbook which I gave to a co-worker yesterday.

Mine are crockpot brand and heat from the sides.

Whoops! You and I were posting at the same time! Thanks!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

canuck: thanks for the mention of making cabbage rolls in the crockpot. I've never thought of that. I'm going to try that.

mrd: I'm with you, if it wasn't for my crockpot, and preparing meals ahead of time, freezing them, and putting dinner in the oven with the timer, we'd never would have had dinner. There was nothing better than to come home to hot stews and soups in the winter, chicken breasts over vegtables in the summer, or tomatoe sauce with meatballs. I still use my crockpot often. Last week I tossed asparagus in fig balsamic dressing, placed that on the bottom, topped it with boneless chicken breast seasoned and topped that with sliced red green pepper onions and mushrooms. I mixed more dressing with some water and bbq sauce and poured it all over. I realized later I could have used up my little red potatoes and placed them first on the bottom, but I forgot about them

I'm making the Thanksgiving turkey this year so while my oven is in use I thought I'd try some side dishes in my slow cookers. Anyone have any tried and true recipes for stuffing, mac and cheese, and candied sweet potatoes (or sweet potato souffle)? I've found a few that I'd like to try (including a corn casserole) but if anyone here has made any of these, or has another side dish to recommend I'd love to know! Anything to make it easier on me since this will be my first time hosting the family. I'm doing the turkey in a roasting bag because I think for my first attempt it will be the easiest. I will be serving about 10-12 people so let me know if I should double a recipe based on that info.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I like mac & cheese best in the crock. Boil a box of elbow macaroni (or whatever kind you prefer, I find fusilli works well). Maybe another half-box if you're feeding a crowd. Mix it with a bag of shredded Double Cheddar cheese, about a 1/4 cup of butter, & a can of condensed milk plus one cup of regular milk. Mince a medium-size onion and add that, along with a crushed garlic clove or two. Salt & pepper to taste, and cook it on low for 4-5 hrs.

I like to throw in some extra cheese (if I'm gonna make it, I make it decadent ). Whatever I have on hand- Swiss, mozzarella, cream cheese, etc. You can't mess up mac & cheese.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I'm making the Thanksgiving turkey this year so while my oven is in use I thought I'd try some side dishes in my slow cookers. Anyone have any tried and true recipes for stuffing, mac and cheese, and candied sweet potatoes (or sweet potato souffle)? I've found a few that I'd like to try (including a corn casserole) but if anyone here has made any of these, or has another side dish to recommend I'd love to know! Anything to make it easier on me since this will be my first time hosting the family. I'm doing the turkey in a roasting bag because I think for my first attempt it will be the easiest. I will be serving about 10-12 people so let me know if I should double a recipe based on that info.

I always use the crockpot for my stuffing. I just prepare it exactly like I would for a turkey but instead set it on low for about 3 hours.

It will expand so leave room for that.

+ Reply to Thread