+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Crockpot recipes

Re: Crockpot recipes

Really angelic one? I wonder if I could get away with that...or even ground chicken lol. Or use some kind of a white sauce instead tomato...
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

When I"ve used ground chicken or turkey in chili, no one has ever noticed. It is more noticable in other things, but in that, they don't say anything because I don't think they notice.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3724677;
    . . . they don't say anything because I don't think they notice.
    Or maybe because the proper response for someone else cooking a meal is: "Mmmmm, this is delicious! Thank you for preparing this lovely meal for me. You have my deepest appreciation."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3724663;
    Really angelic one? I wonder if I could get away with that...or even ground chicken lol. Or use some kind of a white sauce instead tomato...
    Yes, it tastes just about as good as ground beef in this recipe. I think the spaghetti sauce masks any turkey flavor there.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3723671;
    OK, I'm sure I've asked this before, but again-- what brand are crockpot liners? And do you find them in the section of your grocery store where you would also find saran wrap and aluminum foil, or elsewhere? I tried looking for them recently and didn't see them, although it's entirely possible that my neighborhood grocery stores just don't carry them, as none of the stores is very big.
    They are in the same section as saran wrap, foil and such. Some grocery stores do not carry them. WalMart typically does carry them. I love them! I want to say they are made by Reynolds, but could be wrong and I don't currently have any...something I need to buy.

Thanks, NCLurker. I'll bet I'm out of luck until I head out to the suburbs, unless FreshDirect carries them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3724769;
    Or maybe because the proper response for someone else cooking a meal is: "Mmmmm, this is delicious! Thank you for preparing this lovely meal for me. You have my deepest appreciation."
    Those words are music to any cook's ear. My DH still says stuff like that and it never gets old to hear it.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3724769;
    You sure don't live in MY house.

No, my family is fairly good about thanking me, unless its something they don't like.

MRD

This is what we are having tonight. It's one of my favorites, but I had to substitute as I did not have any frozen mixed veggies. I used frozen peas and corn instead

1 pound of hamburger
    1 onion chopped
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1/4 cup flour
    2 cups beef broth
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 small can mushrooms, drained (I use the sliced)
    2 cups frozen mixed veggies
    1 tbsp. worchestershire sauce
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 cups water
    S& P

Brown hamburger with onions and garlic. Do not drain. Add flour and stir well. Slowly pour in beef broth and keep stirring. Let simmer until it thickens. Meanwhile dump everything else in the crockpot. When the hamburger has thickened into a nice gravy, add to the crockpot and stir well. Cook on low 4-6 hours.
    Serve over rice or noodles (my husband even eats this over toast)

I cannnot believe it took me this long to realize we had a crockpot thread I was ransacking my recipe folder last week for a recipe that I originally found on the old food thread a few years ago. I think it was called Zhora's Crockpot Chicken? I have tweaked it a bit - but Mr. M was asking me why I never make it any longer. Truth be told - I had forgotten about it. He LOVES it. I have a 3qt crockpot, so I use less chicken than the original recipe called for, but it still works well.

2 large boneless/skinless chicken breasts
    pepper
    garlic powder / or fresh garlic if you prefer (Mr. M doesn't care for fresh garlic)
    sliced swiss cheese
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1/4 cup milk
    splash of white wine
    1/4 cup chicken stock
    1 stick melted butter
    1 box Stove Top stuffing mix

Place chicken in crockpot and season with pepper and garlic, then layer swiss cheese on top of the chicken. In a separate bowl - mix together the soup, milk, and splash of wine - pour over cheese layer. Add the stuffing mix on top of soup mixture. Finally, pour the chicken stock over the stuffing mix and then the melted butter (be sure to pour it evenly over the dry stuffing as it can become too crispy if you're not careful). Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

I also have a mexican lasagna recipe that I think I will try in the crockpot. I won't post it until I see if it works, though, as it calls for corn tortillas as layers instead of noodles.

+ Reply to Thread