+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Crockpot recipes

Re: Crockpot recipes

These discussions are making me long for a crockpot.
    Can anyone recommend a favorite and a suitable size?
    Thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

I have a small and large crockpot. I made the oatmeal in the small one, set it on low and it was ultimately in there for about 10 hours. What I read said that the longer it cooks, the more water you should use. I used 8 cups of water for 2 cups of oats.
    I sprayed mine with pam first and had no problem with anything sticking.
    I only have warm, low and high as temp settings and no automatic turn on or shut off. I did not find mine to be mushy at all. (but isn't oatmeal supposed to be mushy? )

NRH, I would reccomend one of the larger oval crockpots. I have had various sizes and shapes and the oval one works the best. I have found that whole chickens, roasts, etc. fit better in an oval than in a round. I often will put a frozen whole chicken or roast in my crockpot and let it cook all day, so I like that it will fit frozen into the oval shape without me having to wedge it in a round one. I don't know how many quarts mine is, but it is perfect for most things I want to do. I inherited a small round one that holds about 8 cups of water (I know as I recently made oatmeal in it that called for 8 cups of water) and I use it for some things, but not as much as my big one. Which now I would think holds at least 14-16 cups of water if not more.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan

ACF - I have a 1.5 quart crockpot and did the oatmeal last night (1c oats and 4c water), it was the perfect size (although it was A LOT of oatmeal). It has one setting - I put everything in at 9p, and got up at 8a and it was done, and I didn't have a problem with sticking. While I thought the texture was great, I definitely did not add enough flavor (maybe a teaspoon of vanilla and a teaspoon of brown sugar), so next time I will add more.

norealityhere - I have a Rival 1.5Q Crockpot, and a Rival 8Q Roaster Oven. I LOVE my roasting oven, it does everything a Crockpot does, but also browns meats. I've had the roasting pan for years and have never had something not turn out perfect! I got the Crockpot last night to do the oatmeal, and also for doing hot dips, and I'm really happy with it as well (but it's only had one use). If I were just starting out, I would be more inclined to get a larger size (the 8Qt), but that's just me.

Thanks, Dusty and MRD.

MRD, Thanks for the pointer about the oval. Makes sense. Is yours a Rival, as well? Any difference? I've been reading / seeing recommendations on Rival and Hamilton Beach.

MRD

Mine's a Rival. I've owned both, dont see much difference in them. Make sure you get the kind that the crock comes out for cleaning. My little one, the crock does not come out and it's a pain for clean up because it can't go in the dishwasher.
    I do agree that the smaller one is great for hot dips for parties. And my big one has these inserts that you put in the top of the crock, put water in the crock part and it then acts like a chafing dish. I haven't used them all that much, but when I have, they have worked great.

I would say dusty to add more than just a teaspoon. I added about 1/4 cup of brown sugar as per the recipe I had and it needed more, but I made a bigger batch. I will also increase the vanilla and cinnamon next time in mine as I didn't think that the recipe called for enough of those either.
    When my mouth heals, I am going to add dried fruit (raisens, cranberries, etc) and nuts after cooking. I have also seen a recipe where you can add apple chunks at the beginning. Am also going to try it with maple syrup.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mrd,
    Thanks. And, thanks for the info about the insert. Sure makes sense.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3714796;
    livin, I pm'd you with a good site to go to for that recipe.
    Can you please PM me the site for the crockpot lasagna, my mouth is watering from all the good ratings everyone is giving it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3723989;
    Can you please PM me the site for the crockpot lasagna, my mouth is watering from all the good ratings everyone is giving it. Thanks.

Here is the lasagne recipe:

Ness's Crockpot Lasagna Recipe - Lasagna Recipe for the Crockpot

1 lb. ground beef
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
    1 large jar spaghetti sauce (such as Ragu in the 1 lb. 10 ounce jar)
    1 package (8 ounces) no-boil lasagna noodles
    16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 lb. ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup milk
    1 egg
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan/Romano cheese
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Preparation:
    Brown the beef, onion, and garlic in a little oil in a frying pan. Drain off any grease.
    Add the spaghetti sauce into the browned meat mixture. Mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, milk, and egg. Beat until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Then mix in the mozzarella cheese and the grated cheese, so that all the cheeses are combined.

Grease the slow cooker/Crock Pot with some vegetable shortening on the bottom and sides.

Put about 1/4 of the meat and sauce mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker/Crock Pot. Put a layer of noodles on top of that (break or cut them if needed). Put about 1/3 of the cheese mixture on top of that. Then repeat with sauce, noodles, cheese for another 2 layers. Top with meat sauce. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until noodles are tender.
    Lasagna recipe posted by Ness
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3723667;
    I found some steel cut oatmeal and am ready to try it. However, I'm a little scared after reading mixed reviews from other recipe sites. Some of my concerns are:

My crockpot is not automatic and only has high or low settings, so I don't want to cook it too long. Also, some people say the size of the crock matters. My crock is about 5qt I think so is that too big for one or two cups of oats? How long is too long? If I put in at 9pm and don't get up until 6am, is that too long on low? When people say "overnight" I really need to know what their version of overnight is!

Also, sticking sounds like a problem so I would spray with non-stick spray first but I have some of those crock liners. Would those be ok for this recipe?

Mushiness is another complaint I've read. I guess that's something I'll have to find out for myself.

Also, a friend said he makes his in their rice cooker but my rice cooker is very basic with just warm and cook settings (not even an off button) and the owner's manual only has recipes for rice so I wouldn't even know the measurements to try. My rice cooker does have brown rice marks and "other" for all other rice other than brown. Maybe the brown rice measurements? Anyone ever made theirs in the rice cooker?

I've read that rice cookers work really well for the oatmeal, but since I have never used one couldn't give you any advice about using it for the oats.

Sticky oatmeal can be a problem for me, but my crockpot can run a little too hot. That is why I've started to make oatmeal during the day and I can stir it on occasion. I also cook it on high for 3 hours. We much prefer the oatmeal after it has sat for a day in the fridge. It seems to be creamier without adding butter to it.

Your liners would work really well for this. But using a larger crockpot wouldn't work unless you were making a double batch. I'd try the rice cooker during the day when you are home and letting it cook for an hour and starting testing for doneness at that point OR just buying a smaller crockpot.
    Use 4 cups water to 1 cup oatmeal OR if you want less just do 2 cups water to 1/2cup oatmeal. Add whatever seasonings you want.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Ground turkey works too, in this crockpot lasagna recipe. Healthier, too.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread