+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Crockpot recipes

MRD

Re: Crockpot recipes

Got steel cut oats today and plan on putting them in the crockpot tonight. Since I am on a soft diet at the moment, this is going to be great.
    I was thinking of adding a little bit of brown sugar and maybe a pat of butter to them. Would that be a good idea? I have to skip the dried fruit and nuts for now, but it sounds good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The brown sugar would be really good. Butter couldn't hurt either lol.

I cooked some yesterday for 4 hours on high. I actually prefer them after they've sit around in the fridge for a day or so. Normally I don't like reheated stuff but these oats are good.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by dustypants;3721970;
    I love this thread!! I saw it early on and copied Criticals Smoky Chipotle Cassoulet - so, so yummy!!

Here is my Carnitas recipe, super easy and always a hit!

4lb Pork Shoulder Roast (bone in)
    1 orange
    1 lime
    1 tbs garlic
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 cup water
    salt
    chili pepper flakes for heat

Throw everything in and cook 4-6hrs, or until pork shreds easily with a fork. Shred and let seep in juices till you're ready to eat. Serve with tortillas and your normal condiments!
    I cut up my pork into big chunks, add 3 cups of water, cover and cook on top of the stove for 2 hours. Remove the lid and let the water boil off. The fat in the meat renders out and basically "frys" the meat leaving a nice cruchy bottom. It has a very rich spicy flavor. Sometimes I'll add a cup of salsa verde with the inital water.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I heard someone say they cook their steel cut oats in apple juice. I tried it, but I didn't like it.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3722411;
    I heard someone say they cook their steel cut oats in apple juice. I tried it, but I didn't like it.
    I didn't like it either -- too sweet. But I do like to add vanilla extract and a bit of cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I added vanilla extract and cinnamon and a pinch of salt. And the brown sugar and they were delicious. I may have to give the nutmeg a try, but was also thinking maple syrup might be good in them too. It was so nice to wake up to the smell of that this morning and they were delicious.

I can't leave a recipe alone. I seem to always want to tweak it. I may even try it with almond extract as that is one of my very favorite extracts.

I've got to try the crockpot oatmeal now that we're getting some nippy (60ºs) mornings. I love oatmeal in autumn and winter, and especially love waking up to the smell of something yummy. (I used to wake up to coffee smell before I traded in my automatic coffee maker for a French press.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

LOVE my french press

I found some steel cut oatmeal and am ready to try it. However, I'm a little scared after reading mixed reviews from other recipe sites. Some of my concerns are:

My crockpot is not automatic and only has high or low settings, so I don't want to cook it too long. Also, some people say the size of the crock matters. My crock is about 5qt I think so is that too big for one or two cups of oats? How long is too long? If I put in at 9pm and don't get up until 6am, is that too long on low? When people say "overnight" I really need to know what their version of overnight is!

Also, sticking sounds like a problem so I would spray with non-stick spray first but I have some of those crock liners. Would those be ok for this recipe?

Mushiness is another complaint I've read. I guess that's something I'll have to find out for myself.

Also, a friend said he makes his in their rice cooker but my rice cooker is very basic with just warm and cook settings (not even an off button) and the owner's manual only has recipes for rice so I wouldn't even know the measurements to try. My rice cooker does have brown rice marks and "other" for all other rice other than brown. Maybe the brown rice measurements? Anyone ever made theirs in the rice cooker?
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

OK, I'm sure I've asked this before, but again-- what brand are crockpot liners? And do you find them in the section of your grocery store where you would also find saran wrap and aluminum foil, or elsewhere? I tried looking for them recently and didn't see them, although it's entirely possible that my neighborhood grocery stores just don't carry them, as none of the stores is very big.

+ Reply to Thread