+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Crockpot recipes

Re: Crockpot recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3718369;
    I like whole wheat noodles -- and, with a little bit of thought, they're not difficult to cook and get good results. A helluva lot healthier than processed white-flour pasta, and more flavorful, as a bonus.
    I agree. There are certain brands that taste better than others, but lately, I haven't had any brand I don't like. I really don't even taste a difference. I always cook with them and when I do eat white pasta, it always taste a little gummy to me compared to whole wheat pasta.

I bought a 1qt. crock pot yesterday for my steel cut oats. Put my water, cinnamon, salt and oats in there around 10pm and woke up this morning to a wonderful aroma of cinnamon oatmeal. I felt like my Mother was in the kitchen cooking breakfast for me..such memories and so bittersweet.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3718431;
    I bought a 1qt. crock pot yesterday for my steel cut oats. Put my water, cinnamon, salt and oats in there around 10pm and woke up this morning to a wonderful aroma of cinnamon oatmeal. I felt like my Mother was in the kitchen cooking breakfast for me..such memories and so bittersweet.
    What measurements? Did you cook it on low? I'm thinking I need to do this as we are all running around like headless chickens in the morning and no one has time to cook.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3718431;
    Is there a taste/texture or nutritional difference of steel cut vs. regular oatmeal? Is it hard to find? I'd like the crockpot recipe as well but I need details since I've never made them.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I did 1 cup steel cut oats to 4 cups water. Add a pinch of salt and 1/2t cinnamon. Cooked on low for 8 hours. Since I'm the only one eating it, I put the leftovers into indivudial bowls and refrig until each morning. I nuked this morning oatmeal for 90sec. on high. Before I eat it I also add walnuts and dried cherries or raisins. I pretty sure the overnight method would not work for regular oatmeat. Steel cut oats are processed into a rougher form and take much longer to cook.

ACF=the texture is much better than regular oatmeal. They are creamy without the need for milk or butter but there is also a slight chewiness from the oat. Taste is also much better than regular oats. Next time I'm going to try toasting the oats first as that is suppposed to make them taste more nutty.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Hi. I'm a new poster here but have been reading the board forever. I tried the crockpot lasagne yesterday and didn't have the good results you all have had. I didn't like the texture of the noodles. They were too gummy. The taste was fine, but we couldn't get past the noodle texture.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by grapenuts;3719894;
    Hi. I'm a new poster here but have been reading the board forever. I tried the crockpot lasagne yesterday and didn't have the good results you all have had. I didn't like the texture of the noodles. They were too gummy. The taste was fine, but we couldn't get past the noodle texture.
    Welcome to the FORT, grapenuts!

and I had the same problem with my noodles! I thought it might be the length of time as my noodles were waaaay overcooked. Everything else was fine, but the noodles were yucky according to everyone in my family.

MRD

I had a problem with the time on mine. I'm glad I checked it as I got it just in time before it got overcooked.
    Try lowering the temp and reducing the time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My crockpot lasagna just cooked too long, I think. It tasted great except for the ricotta layer. I added an egg and I think it would have worked better without it. Definitely a keeper recipe!

I made the jambalaya and it was an instant hit, and a great way to get rid of a big batch of tomatoes from the garden all at once. I seasoned it slightly differently - bay leaf, thyme, tabasco, and Worcestershire instead of like a basil/oregano because that's how I remember a family recipe.

Livin4reality, I was inspired by you to make oatmeal overnight and that is a wonderful smell to wake up to! Thanks for the idea. Next time I'm adding raisins and walnuts like you said.

Doxie, I put the Mexican lasagna in the crock pot this morning, can't wait to see how it turns out!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fan

I love this thread!! I saw it early on and copied Criticals Smoky Chipotle Cassoulet - so, so yummy!!

Here is my Carnitas recipe, super easy and always a hit!

4lb Pork Shoulder Roast (bone in)
    1 orange
    1 lime
    1 tbs garlic
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 cup water
    salt
    chili pepper flakes for heat

Throw everything in and cook 4-6hrs, or until pork shreds easily with a fork. Shred and let seep in juices till you're ready to eat. Serve with tortillas and your normal condiments!

+ Reply to Thread