+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

FORT Fogey

Re: Food and Health?

I've heard so much about the long-term health benefits of olive oil that I've decided to incorporate it into my diet.

I like hummus and pita--to which I add a little extra olive oil. I often have this for breakfast with an orange or other fruit.

What other ways are people incorporating olive oil into your diets?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3757905;
    It is a Southern "thang".
    They are in almost every restaurant here, plus you can get baked sweet potatos and sweet potato casserole in a LOT of restaurants. I love it as i really love sweet potatos.
    Also sweet potato pie is very popular here too
    I don't care for them, but every Southerner is familiar with Sweet Potatoes with marshmellows on top, Sweet Potato pie ( that taste similar - not as good! but similar to pumpkin pie), and candied yams ( with melted molasses and marshmellows on top).
    My daughter was one of those picky eaters growing up, but she would chow down on any kind of sweet potato or candied yam casserole.
    There is probably a gazillion calories in either or those dishes due to the extra sweetening added, but they are clearly Southern favorites that go way back, especially with the molasses topping.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

MRD

I hate sweet potatos with marshmellows on top. I have a casserole that uses brown sugar, nuts, etc. that's good. It's high in calories too which is why we usually only have it on TG.
    I did a lecture on Southern cooking over a year ago and a lot of Southern recipes happened out of necessity (don't think marshmellows were a necessity), then became habit, then tradition. Despite the fact that they are unhealthy. But when it was a time of necessity, people worked MUCH harder and the extra calories were needed.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I steam sweet potatoes and bake them in the oven with real butter and brown sugar. Yep, just once or twice a year. No guilt.

Recently I ran across a sweet potato stew recipe--never thought of putting them in soups or stews. I just skimmed it, but I doubt that it had any extra sweetening in it. Maybe just naturally sweet vegetables. I should look it up again.

The sweet potato pies I've had did not have marshmallows, but surely sugar mixed in. So yeah, basically like pumpkin pie, with SP replacing the pumpkin. I used to live near a BBQ place (they are the king of ribs), and SP pie is always on the menu. They deliver.. .nothing like getting yummy ribs, sides, and SP pie delivered. Whenever I visit that area (out of state), I order.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

I feel the same way about "Stuffed Cabbage."

Whose idea was this? Some poor person who only had a little meat and some tomatoes and a whole lot of cabbage.

It is part of the cultural tradition I grew up in--but it was never a "special dish" to me. I gag when anyone says how they have a craving or taste for it.

Just a leftover from my childhood.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3760129;

Whose idea was this? Some poor person who only had a little meat and some tomatoes and a whole lot of cabbage.

It is part of the cultural tradition I grew up in--but it was never a "special dish" to me. I gag when anyone says how they have a craving or taste for it.

I was born into a military family. One of my oldest memories is traveling south back to my father's rural home where I saw my grandfather who was already probably 70 work the sugar cane patch from which came the molasses that was put on biscuits, pancakes, sweet potatoes, yams, and anything else that other people would pour syrup.
    As I preferred syrup, and more specifically maple syrup, molasses was never a favorite of mine; however, it too is a part and a leftover from my childhood.

Now that I am getting on on the other side of grown, it is though part of a treasured memory.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=Wind Dancer;3760129;]I feel the same way about "Stuffed Cabbage."

Whose idea was this? Some poor person who only had a little meat and some tomatoes and a whole lot of cabbage..........

My husband loves stuffed cabbage and remembers having it as a child. I made it a couple of times but it is a lot of work, and I'm getting lazier as time goes on.

Another dish with cultural implications is shepherd's pie....a lot of potatoes and veggies with left over roasted meat. I do like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3760129;

OMG. PLease don't gag! I definitely have had cravings for this dish many times over the years. I wish I could make it like my Mom did!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

My family has never had the sweet potato/marshmallow stuff either. Our Thanksgiving sweet potatoes have a topping with crushed Frosted flakes and pecans among other things.
    I actually prefer sweet potato pie to the 'cassarole', which is more like a dessert to me anyway, and disagree that pumpkin pie is better, if you get good sweet potatoes. Year round, I eat baked sweet potatoes with nothing added; i love them either way.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

By "stuffed cabbage" do you all mean holubchi??? OMG, my mouth waters when I think of my Ukrainian grandmother's cabbage rolls... I can't make it, I'm useless at the old traditional dishes, but at least my husband's grandma brings me some when she comes to visit.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread