+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

FORT Fogey

Re: Food and Health?

[QUOTE=Wind Dancer;3755706;]I found many. This site is just one of many with photos of large decorated yams in New Guinea--

You are an incredible fountain of knowledge. I enjoy reading your posts and learning. I knew there was a difference between yams and sweet potatoes; now I know what it is!! Thanks!!

FORT Fogey

Columbia--thank you. As a writer I have tons of bit of info on a wide variety of subjects--often I have no further use for those bits once I've written about them. Thank goodness I can use some of them here.

(I'm also fortunate enough to have a really broad educational background in both the arts and in science as well as a number of different kinds of jobs I had while following those educational pursuits. )

Wild yams are also supposed to be good for mentalpause menopause stuff.

And as regards the squash stuff -- yes, I can easily make a meal out of half a small acorn- or butternut squash. If I'm really feeling ambitious, I make up Kashi hot cereal as a tasty stuffing to put in hole in the middle (from taking out the seeds).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I just made a meal out of oatmeal. LOL

Wind, love your posts. I love trivia and stuff like that is soooo cool.

Thanks for the decorated yam sites. All I can say is wow, they take their yams seriously.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3755642;
    This is a great time of year for people who are looking foe healthy fruits and vveggies--and for increasing anti-oxidant ingestion.

May winter squashes are deeply colored and offer a lot of flavor as well as healthy benefits.

BTW--I cook only using a microwave and can make sqaush in just a few mintues. I cut a small squash in half (scoop out any seeds etc) and then put those face down in a plastic container with enough water to cover the bottom.

I cover the container with plastic wrap and cook for about 3-10 minutes depending on the size of the sqaush and how long it takes for the sqaush to ebcome tender (fork testing is very easy.)

I serve with butter. I am sure that for those who like it cinnaman would be very tasty sprinkled on top too.

I sometimes make a whole meal out of one acorn or butternut squash just by having a side dsh of salad or fruit.

A variation on this is to slice a yam into almost-thin slices and cook in a similar way and then add butter after it's cooked. I call them "Yam chips" because they are about the size of chips and can be cooked using less water (you have to play around with this. I have overcooked them into inedible hardness)--to a crispiness that is hard to resist.

A really tasty and healthful tv-watching/book reading snack.

Yams also have a lot of fiber which is good. And note that there is no sugar or maple syrup or marshmallows involved in my recipe.

I accidentally discovered how to make Yam chips while trying to adapt a friend's recipe for candied yams to the microwave. IMO a very happy accident for me.

(I haven't tried to make sweet potato chips because I personally don't care for the flavor of sweet potatoes as much and I wonder if they would work as well considering that they are softer when cooked and don't have as much fiber in them.)
    I fry sweet potatoes. Must be a Southern Thing! They are good as a side when I cook dried beans and turnip greens.
    I peel and slice the sweet potato in about 1/4" slices and place them in a skillet with a small amount of butter, just enough so they won't stick, and sprinkle them with a little sugar and salt. Use low to medium heat and cover with a lid. They burn easy, so you need watch them closely and keep them turned.
    And I fry turnips too. peel and slice and and just enough oil, maybe 1 T., so they won't stick. I prefer them steamed with a little butter, salt and pepper, but will fry them just to change things up.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3757209;
    I fry sweet potatoes. Must be a Southern Thing! They are good as a side when I cook dried beans and turnip greens.
    I peel and slice the sweet potato in about 1/4" slices and place them in a skillet with a small amount of butter, just enough so they won't stick, and sprinkle them with a little sugar and salt. Use low to medium heat and cover with a lid. They burn easy, so you need watch them closely and keep them turned.
    And I fry turnips too. peel and slice and and just enough oil, maybe 1 T., so they won't stick. I prefer them steamed with a little butter, salt and pepper, but will fry them just to change things up.
    Try a tiny amount of cinnamon on those fried sweet potatos. TO
    DIE FOR!

FORT Fogey

Re: sweet potatoes. I "fry" them in the oven with a bit of oil and some seasonings and they are delicious. It may be a "southern thing." We were in TN last month and they were on a lot of the menus. Nonetheless, they are delicious and better for you than white potatoes.

Also, sweet potatoes are recommended for diabetics over white potatoes due to their lower glycemic index.

For those of you with not all that ambition, I believe Trader Joe's carries them frozen.

FORT Fogey

I grew up in the north and never heard of fried sweet potatoes until I read this thread.

So I'm going to guess it might be a "southern thing."

Sounds yummy!

MRD

It is a Southern "thang".
    They are in almost every restaurant here, plus you can get baked sweet potatos and sweet potato casserole in a LOT of restaurants. I love it as i really love sweet potatos.
    Also sweet potato pie is very popular here too

FORT Fogey

One of my fave culinary memories of my trips "down south" include my intotroduction to grits.

My friends and family here just don't get it--but I LOVE grits with butter. MMMM!!!

My other fave memory is the first time I had Shrimp Louis in New Orleans.

OMG--heaven!

So I am always happy to try any new-to-me southern eats. (I am also already a big okra fan. )

+ Reply to Thread