+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

FORT Fogey

Re: Food and Health?

For different reasons both of the recipes above sound delicious. Thanks!

Thanks Ellen. That does sound more interesting than just plain cranberries. I usually make the cranberry relish, that has the orange, lemon, apple and nuts. But, I like the sound of your recipe.
    Gut your recipe sounds good too.
    So, thanks to you both.

FORT Fogey

This is a great time of year for people who are looking foe healthy fruits and vveggies--and for increasing anti-oxidant ingestion.

May winter squashes are deeply colored and offer a lot of flavor as well as healthy benefits.

BTW--I cook only using a microwave and can make sqaush in just a few mintues. I cut a small squash in half (scoop out any seeds etc) and then put those face down in a plastic container with enough water to cover the bottom.

I cover the container with plastic wrap and cook for about 3-10 minutes depending on the size of the sqaush and how long it takes for the sqaush to ebcome tender (fork testing is very easy.)

I serve with butter. I am sure that for those who like it cinnaman would be very tasty sprinkled on top too.

I sometimes make a whole meal out of one acorn or butternut squash just by having a side dsh of salad or fruit.

A variation on this is to slice a yam into almost-thin slices and cook in a similar way and then add butter after it's cooked. I call them "Yam chips" because they are about the size of chips and can be cooked using less water (you have to play around with this. I have overcooked them into inedible hardness)--to a crispiness that is hard to resist.

A really tasty and healthful tv-watching/book reading snack.

Yams also have a lot of fiber which is good. And note that there is no sugar or maple syrup or marshmallows involved in my recipe.

I accidentally discovered how to make Yam chips while trying to adapt a friend's recipe for candied yams to the microwave. IMO a very happy accident for me.

(I haven't tried to make sweet potato chips because I personally don't care for the flavor of sweet potatoes as much and I wonder if they would work as well considering that they are softer when cooked and don't have as much fiber in them.)
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 11-23-2009 at 06:26 PM.

I thought that sweet potatoes and yams were the same thing--just different names?

Acorn squash--baked and served with butter and paprika is really good.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

VelvetRed--hi. No--they are related but they are different plants with differing compositions. Like how much sugar each has. And how much fiber.

Yummy on the idea of using paprika for squash. I never thought of that. Thanks!

YW, Wind! I also put butter and paprika on zucchini and yellow squash, and probably any other squashes when I next venture further out into squashland. I remember putting spaghetti sauce (tomato-type) on spaghetti squash years ago.

I did look "yam" and "sweet potato" up in Wiki. Apparently I've fallen into the common misnomer confusion between the two. I haven't seen yams in produce sections, but then I was never looking for them. Even so, you would think that I would have stumbled on them accidentally!
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

Velvet--hi. We often only see what we're looking for. It's the human condition.

I found this brief list of differences between the two---

Sweet Potatoes
    Sweet Potato is a dicot (have two seed leaves) plant which belongs to a Convolvulacea or morning glory family.

They are popular in South America. They are yellow or orange in colour and elongated with ends that taper to a point.

One of the types is a paler-skinned potato that has a light yellow, thin skin with pale yellow flesh. This type is not sweet, but it has dry, crumbly texture.

The other type is a darker-skinned and most people get confused and call it as a ‘yam’. This type has reddish to darker orange colour and thicker skin with orange, sweet flesh and a moist texture.

The types of sweet potatoes are classified as either ‘soft’ or ‘firm’. When it is cooked, ‘soft’ types becomes soft and moist whereas the ‘firm’ category stays firm.

The types of sweet potatoes include Centennial, Goldrush, New Jersey, Velvet, Georgia Red and Puerto Rico.

Yams
    Yams are monocots and belong to a Yam family or the Dioscoreaceae and they are not related to the sweet potato family at all.

They are popular in US, Latin America and Caribbean and there are more than 150 types available. They are sweeter than the sweet potato and can grow over seven feet in length.

The yam can have brown or black skin colour with purple or red flesh depending on the type. They have more natural sugar than sweet potatoes and also have higher moisture content."

Here's the link to the site--

Difference Between Sweet Potatoes and Yams | Difference Between | Sweet Potatoes vs Yams

(And I was wrong--they're not related at all.)

MRD

Dayum, a 7 foot yam. How would you cook that?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3755699;
    Dayum, a 7 foot yam. How would you cook that?

LOL!

As an aside--having studied Cultural Anthropology I know that those big yams are the basic food source for many Indigenous Peoples like many of the Peoples in the Highlands of New Guinea. And they really do celebrate the yams--they have ceremonies of thanksgiving for good crops--and some groups even decororate the largest yam and honor it with a special ceremony.

I'm thinking we could learn a thing or two about being grateful for "what we have received" from these folks.

(I"m going to see if I can find a photo of one of these ceremonies with the decorated yam. Their size really is impressive.)

FORT Fogey

I found many. This site is just one of many with photos of large decorated yams in New Guinea--

Google Image Result for http://www.art-pacific.com/images/yamlined.gif

Googling 'decorated yams new guinea' on google image brings up lots of photos and info.

+ Reply to Thread