+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

I like whole, fresh, uncooked (that is, not cooked ahead of time, just with the oatmeal while its cooking) cranberries in my oatmeal. If fresh cranberries aren't available, dried are good (if they don't have too much sugar). But I always have bags of whole cranberries in my freezer; I stock up before they disappear right before Xmas.
    Last edited by Ellen; 11-17-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3752190;
    They are tasteless because they have to be picked early and shipped. There is no substitution for actual sun ripened fruits and vegetables.
    Look for all types of frozen fruits and vegetables in the frozen food section of your grocery store. Your local farmers market might even have a frozen food section. If you have a freezer, you could buy extra fresh in season fruits and veggies from your local market and freeze them for winter use. I do this with berries, apples and peaches I get from local growers and the veggies we grow in our garden.
    I love red and green bell peppers and chop them up and freeze, or core them and freeze them whole to stuff in the winter months.
    Mrd Blueberries and vanilla yogurt and a sprinkle of granola. yum My favorite summer breakfast.
    So true, no taste at all. I can tomatoes and peaches and apples, I use the peaches and apples for my xmas baking. I also make and freeze roasted peppers, and veggies from my mother's garden or pick some items she doesn't have from the market, like zucchinni. I also get a bushel of corn from our local farmers, husk them, and freeze them whole, no par boiling. They are terrific in the winter months.

I've purchased frozen blueberries, not my fav thing, but it is a last resort. Blueberry's and yogurt are a daily staple for me when in they are in season. I have it everyday for lunch, I never get tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3752250;
    Thanks to Alton Brown, I now have a freezer full of frozen veggies (mostly from my garden). I chop them, then lay them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the fridge overnight. Then I pop the cookie sheet into the freezer for another night. Finally, I put them all into a freezer bag. They don't ice up this way, and it's so much easier to use them through the winter.
    I didn't realize you can put them in the fridge first before the freezer. Good to know. I usually put them right in the freezer on a cookie sheet, then bag them when they are frozen.

FORT Fogey

I recently learned that even bananas can be frozen that way. It's great to be able to do this for ourselves.

About cranberries--our good produce store here (part of a chain in the southwest states) has a lot of fruit in bulk--including dried cranberries with oranges. For me that makes it less tart and they really do go well with a lot of different foods.

Often all I do is throw them in if there is enough liquid already in the recipe--or just cook them (in the microwave the way I do everything) with some water to pluimp them up. Instant cranberry condiment!

Trader Joe's has dried dark cherries that work well also and dried blueberries too.

The produce chain I mentioned is Sunflower Markets. They have really good fresh produce and bulk foods and really good prices.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3752262;
    I like whole, fresh, uncooked (that is, not cooked ahead of time, just with the oatmeal while its cooking) cranberries in my oatmeal. If fresh cranberries aren't available, dried are good (if they don't have too much sugar). But I always have bags of whole cranberries in my freezer; I stock up before they disappear right before Xmas.
    I stock up too. Do you ever cook the whole cranberries to eat as a side dish? I know that you don't use alot of sugar, so what do you use to sweeten them? I love them that way, but would like to cut back or cut out the cup of sugar that it calls for in the recipe. Thanks!

I'm sure I've posted my curried cranberry recipe in the past... whole berries, honey, curry powder, and chopped nuts at the end. So good.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Gutmutter--hi. Do you make a cranberry chutney? I'd love the recipe for that!

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=Wind Dancer;3753189;]I recently learned that even bananas can be frozen that way. It's great to be able to do this for ourselves.

Hi, Wind Dancer -- I take a half a banana, wrap it in aluminum foil, and freeze it (or them). Great cold snack.....just let it sit a few minutes before eating.
    Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3755111;
    Gutmutter--hi. Do you make a cranberry chutney? I'd love the recipe for that!
    I've never called it that, but here it is:
    2 c. water, 1 c. honey, 1 bag cranberries. Bring to boil and cook 15 min.
    Add 1 t. curry powder and 1 c. chopped walnuts - chill
    I think there was originally 1/4 t. salt in there, too, but I don't use it.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3753399;
    I stock up too. Do you ever cook the whole cranberries to eat as a side dish? I know that you don't use alot of sugar, so what do you use to sweeten them? I love them that way, but would like to cut back or cut out the cup of sugar that it calls for in the recipe. Thanks!
    My favorite way to make cranberries as a side dish (and leftover spread on turkey sandwiches!) kinda goes like this:
    bag of whole fresh cranberries, 3/4 cup fresh-squeezed OJ, zest of one of the oranges I squeezed to make the juice, around a half-cup maple syrup or honey or sugar (more or less to taste), 1/4 cup Jack Daniels. Simmer until cranberries pop and you can smush them with a wooden spoon. (But not so much that all the cranberries totally lose their shape.) Cool down until safe to taste, but still warm, so that if you need to add more sugar or syrup or honey, it still blends in easily with just a short heat-up.

The recipe on the bag calls for a cup of water and an entire cup of sugar, but for me it was too sweet and kind of boring.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread