+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

FORT Fogey

Re: Food and Health?

My own way of eating a lot of fruit is to just add some fruit to every meal or snack I eat.

I have to eat a good level of protein because I am in a heavy duty athletic training/conditioning program.

BTW--I forgot to mention that the rinds/peel/pith of fruit is also important because it is a source of fiber which is a very important component of the diet not just for regularity but also in the fight against colon cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3750653;
    Gutmutter--hi.

About that pulp--that's rhe main reason I don't have a food processor that and the cost of a really good one). The pulp is really good for most people. For example--the white part of the orange--called the "pith"--is the part of the fruit that has the most anti-oxidants in it..
    BTW--I forgot to mention that the rinds/peel/pith of fruit is also important because it is a source of fiber which is a very important component of the diet not just for regularity but also in the fight against colon cancer.
    I did not know that Wind Dancer, thanks for sharing! I need all the anti-oxidents I can get!

As far as the rinds/peel/pith, when I have apples, I eat the whole apple, how many of you do the same? I don't know why I do that, I've always eaten an apple that way.

FORT Fogey

Guardian--according to the experts you're smart to do that. Apparently the deeper the color of the fruit/the peel the more anti-oxidants are in it.

Unfortunately not all peels are edible in any quantity--like orange peel for example.

As a matter of fact the anti-oxidants in veggies/fruit were discovered by scientists doing research on the coloration of veggie and fruit peel.

The general rule is--the deeper and darker the color of the fruit/veggie and/or its peel--the more anti-oxidants they have.

I'm so happy you mentioned, the deeper and darker the colour of the fruit, etc. I have been eating as many blueberries as possible, however winter months are not easy to find them. If I do find them, they are far to expensive. I can now concentrate on more plums and dark nectarines! I support local farmers as much as I can, but its not easy in the winter. Usually fruits and veggies coming from who knows where are tasteless.

FORT Fogey

If eating as many anti-oxidants is high on your list it might pay to look at deeply colored veggies in the wintertime.

For example many stores now carry the bell pepprs that come in yellow and red and orange as well as green. (broccoli is another good veggie, as is spinach.)
    These too have a lot of anti-oxidants and the entire vegetable can be eaten.

A quick pasta primavera with quickly heated bell peppers (or broccoli or spinach) and pasta and olive oil can be very tasty. Throw in some protein--a little shrimp or leftover turkey or chicken and add some fruit or green salad for a side dish and there's an entire healthy and yummy meal.

I have learned a lot from Chef Ming Tsai ("Simply Ming" on PBS) and the other chefs who emphasize simplicity and health and tastiness over extensive and expensive prep.

MRD

I've been buying frozen berries and using them as topping for my oatmeal. I thaw them out, microwave them a bit, mash them up a bit and top my oatmeal with them. Another great way to get the anti-oxidants in the winter months. I also add them to vanila flavored yogurt.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

About oatmeal--I add raisins (I make the instant kind of oatmeal) and it really brightens up the flavor--and adds a lot of healthy stuff like fiber and anti-oxidants.

MRD

Not a big raisin fan here
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3751304;
    I'm so happy you mentioned, the deeper and darker the colour of the fruit, etc. I have been eating as many blueberries as possible, however winter months are not easy to find them. If I do find them, they are far to expensive. I can now concentrate on more plums and dark nectarines! I support local farmers as much as I can, but its not easy in the winter. Usually fruits and veggies coming from who knows where are tasteless.
    They are tasteless because they have to be picked early and shipped.
    There is no substitution for actual sun ripened fruits and vegetables.
    Look for all types of frozen fruits and vegetables in the frozen food section of your grocery store. Your local farmers market might even have a frozen food section. If you have a freezer, you could buy extra fresh in season fruits and veggies from your local market and freeze them for winter use. I do this with berries, apples and peaches I get from local growers and the veggies we grow in our garden.
    I love red and green bell peppers and chop them up and freeze, or core them and freeze them whole to stuff in the winter months.
    Mrd Blueberries and vanilla yogurt and a sprinkle of granola. yum My favorite summer breakfast.

Thanks to Alton Brown, I now have a freezer full of frozen veggies (mostly from my garden). I chop them, then lay them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the fridge overnight. Then I pop the cookie sheet into the freezer for another night. Finally, I put them all into a freezer bag. They don't ice up this way, and it's so much easier to use them through the winter.

+ Reply to Thread