+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

After reading the last two posts I decided to do some research on trans fat since my knowledge of them is sparse, to say the least. No one source gave me a huge amount of practical info but a gleaned a little here, a little there. One thing that startled me was the comment, on one web site, that microwave popcorn was loaded with trans fats. I went to my pantry and checked. Oh my!! I will have to toss the nearly full box of microwave popcorn. Each bag contains 15 grams of the stuff!!! I also discovered that some pot pies, like Boston Market, are high in it and that, while most fast food places are no longer using trans fats or at least have greatly reduced the amount, Popeye's food is still very high in trans fats. Trans fat is also present in store bought pie and pastry and in cake mixes!
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

The more I read food labels, the more I want foods without any labels.
    nennie likes this.

Dr. Oz says no amount of trans fats are safe. I use butter, olive oil, or coconut oil.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I've been reading that Jicama is one of the new super foods. It has all types of great health benefits. I bought one yesterday and plan on trying it today. It can be eaten raw or cooked. Has anyone tried a Jicama?

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I've been reading that Jicama is one of the new super foods. It has all types of great health benefits. I bought one yesterday and plan on trying it today. It can be eaten raw or cooked. Has anyone tried a Jicama?
    I have and found it to be very bland.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Wow, jicama is a superfood? It's a staple around here to add texture to salads and some Mexican dishes (ceviche, etc,), but I've never thought of it as anything really nutritious: it's white, crunchy, and watery kind of like a Granny Smith apple, but with none of the flavor.
    Jicama is great in its versatility: not much flavor by itself, but it picks up any flavors added to it, whether sweet, savory, or picante. It's a nice ingredient (kind of like water chestnuts) for when you want to add some variety to an otherwise mushy dish. However, if it really has good nutritional value, I'd love to explore making this the star of a dish rather than a throw-in to salads, tacos, and lettuce wraps.

P.S. As a "quickie": I've cut jicama into sticks (like carrots or celery) for a veggie plate with a yogurt-dill dip.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

It apparently has a lot of fiber, specifically inulin. Other than that I can't find anything that really sets it off. I imagine it's more nutritious than white potatoes.

A lot of carbs. One site said it didn't raise blood sugar. I feel that's a conclusion that has to be made for an individual, with a glucose meter.

Last year I focused on what balance of macronutrients I wanted and in what form. This year I'm concentrating on micronutrients. I only have so many calories to work with. The food stuffs better have a lot to offer. Not seeing that yet in jicama but I also haven't seen it in the local stores either.

It's a lot like water chestnuts in (non)taste and texture. I used to get them, but they've gotten expensive.
    Count your blessings!

Thank you for the input.
    And I'm glad my instincts have been correct.
    Jicama is in every farmers' market and grocery store at any given time over here -- and not expensive at all.
    Looks like it's what I've always figured it to be -- high fiber, high water filler in any given dish that needs a bit of crispiness when I don't want to revert to canned water chestnuts. But not a "superfood."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

The article I read said the Jicama is high in dietary fiber, an excellent source of oligofuctose inullin, promotes 'friendly' bacteria in the gut, a good sweet snack for diabetics, no fat, rich in vitamin C, 1 cup = 24mg. A new superfood.
    I had never tried it and wanted everyone's input. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread