+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

Thank you for responding tbamom. I hardly eat any wheat as it is. I eliminated "white carbs" several years ago, so it is really just whole grain crackers and sprouted grain toast that I still need to toss. I ended up reading the book and am not 100% convinced, either, but am willing to try it and see how I react.
    Count your blessings!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I really love Coke but if I don't have it around I don't miss it. I bought a soda stream and I make my own carbonated water so I just pretend it is a soft drink.
    Sorry, late reply. Almond Breeze makes it, perhaps other brands as well... but I mainly drink Almond Breeze and the PC brand.

As for the swimming... it's time for a new doctor. I have had chronic back problems since I was a kid and swimming is a lifeline as a non-impact exercise. It keeps me strong (physically and for cardio) so I am able to do other activities I love such as cycling and kayaking. Seriously, I want to punch your primary in the head for that one.

I'm starting to think I have to cut sugar out of my life. I've been having a lot of problems lately (IBS symptoms, blah) and I think raw dairy (which I've already greatly reduced) and sugar are the culprits. I am not happy about this... I'm not a sugar nut but I love an ice-cream in the summer.

As for cutting wheat, my sister in law (who was sick a lot) originally cut wheat and sugar completely but found she just needed to be gluten free to be free of her symptoms. She still is careful with sugar but finds the GF diet to be way easier to handle than a wheat free, sugar free one.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 06-28-2013 at 08:13 AM.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

To be fair, my doctor was talking about swimming in relation to weight loss. I disagree and swim at least 3 times a week.
    I'm not missing wheat at all, but I'm not sure I'll be able to keep it up when I go to our family get together over the 4th. My mom gets offended by "out there" diets. I have a niece who is vegan, but her diet is horrific to my eyes. She eats all kinds of processed junk made to look like "real" meat, cheese, etc. Also eats chips, soda, etc. Not sure why she's vegan, but it isn't what I would call a healthy diet. I'm planning to take lots of nuts, seeds, produce, quinoa, etc. and prepare my own meals. If mom's serving something I can eat, I'll eat it. I don't make a big deal out of it, so I'm not sure why she does.
    Count your blessings!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    I don't make a big deal out of it, so I'm not sure why she does.
    Attention? I swear, sometimes it's for no other reason than that.

To be fair, my doctor was talking about swimming in relation to weight loss. I disagree and swim at least 3 times a week.
    I think I didn't make my point clearly enough, sorry. What I was meaning to say is that swimming is great for weight loss, because at the very least, it keeps you strong and energetic, thus enabling you to burn even more calories doing other exercise... even day to day chores with more energy. (For me, it gives me the energy for cycling and kayaking). I also stick to the notion that ANY exercise burns calories and if you watch what you are eating, you will lose weight. (Unless you have a thyroid condition or something).
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

as far as weight loss goes the reality is that exercise only makes up a small component. In the end it is about calories in vs calories out. If you start swimming, though it is an exceptionally healthy activity, easy on joints and one you can do for life. Swimming on its own isn't going to make you a Victoria Secret model but if you burn yourself 350 calories more than you eat every day you would lose 1 pound in 10 days. Which would be just under an hour of slow laps.

I know what you mean about people who follow certain diets but not really as part of a completely healthy lifestyle. That is why you can find overweight vegetarians and thin meat eaters. It is about choices.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm planning to take lots of nuts, seeds, produce, quinoa, etc. and prepare my own meals. If mom's serving something I can eat, I'll eat it. I don't make a big deal out of it
    How about taking your Nutri-Bullet with you! ;^) It makes enough of a racket it will subtly let folks know there's a different approach to food.

I almost brought it with my on vacation earlier this month but I have only used it at work and my husband doesn't actually know about it. I decided to give it a rest for that week.

Why don't you want your husband to know about it? It's definitely on my list of things to take. I'm driving, so I'm not limited for space... not that it takes up much space.
    Count your blessings!

Received my blood work results this evening. Diabetes markers continue to be very normal. Total cholesterol, HDL and LDL increased from low or borderline low to to mid normal. Triglycerides have gone from borderline low (standard for me) to way below normal range. I think it adds up to indicating I now have fluffy LDL!

I was eating well but also raiding the vending machine for Snickers bars. Apparently it didn't hurt me much. The last 3 weeks before the test I settled down to just good foods and also walked a lot.

Oh, and 2 eggs every morning.
    TripleGemini likes this.

I'm feeling very confused these days after reading/researching/PBS specials about different diets. I've had good success with Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" nutritarian diet... J.J. Virgin says to give up 7 foods that commonly cause sensitivities (corn, soy, dairy, gluten, eggs, sugar, ?), wheat belly book - no gluten and go easy on fruit (which I love this time of year), Paleo and other diets - eat all you want of meat (organic, grass-fed $$$$) and eggs and hard cheese. Plus, I'm about to spend a week with extended family and will be tempted by my childhood comfort foods - custard, peach cobbler, etc. but my son and niece (vegetarian/vegan) will be there and they look up to me as a role model for their diet choices. Oh my! My head is spinning.
    Cootie likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm feeling very confused these days after reading/researching/PBS specials about different diets. I've had good success with Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" nutritarian diet... J.J. Virgin says to give up 7 foods that commonly cause sensitivities (corn, soy, dairy, gluten, eggs, sugar, ?), wheat belly book - no gluten and go easy on fruit (which I love this time of year), Paleo and other diets - eat all you want of meat (organic, grass-fed $$$$) and eggs and hard cheese. Plus, I'm about to spend a week with extended family and will be tempted by my childhood comfort foods - custard, peach cobbler, etc. but my son and niece (vegetarian/vegan) will be there and they look up to me as a role model for their diet choices. Oh my! My head is spinning.
    I think there's no such thing as a "one size fits all" diet/nutritional lifestyle. Genetics, personal health issues, type of activity, body type, etc., are all factors. Just like in the traditional Asian medicine models, what works for one may not necessarily work for another with the same ailment.

The key — which looks like you've found — is to find what works for you and stick primarily with it.
    spockwhat likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread