+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

I thought the diet comparisons here were rather useful: COMPARE 12 WEIGHT-LOSS DIETS DASH is apparently considered middle of the road (how boring!!!).

I'm 59 without any major health issues. In contrast, my husband is full up and I don't want to go through any of what he has so I'm having to learn what I can to care for myself. Part of the learning curve is understanding that doctors are clueless, just like veterinarians are, about matters like nutrition. Knowing that my primary is a DASH advocate and hubby's cardiologist is a Pritikin junky (in spite of hubby's diabetes) is important as a filter to whatever other advice they give. Helps put it into perspective. Sort of as a hobby, I home monitor in whatever ways I conveniently can to get a better idea of what is working for me (or hubby or my cats).

Ha! My primary care provider told me a few years ago that swimming wasn't a good form of exercise because the body stays cool and can't "melt" fat. Well, for me, swimming is a GREAT form of exercise. It stretches out all the scarring I have from breast cancer surgeries, it's something I LOVE to do, so can easily commit to doing at least 3 days a week, it's something I can do without injuring my bad knee... I could go on and on. And the cherry on top was Dr. Oz recommending freezing cold showers for weight loss because your body has to work overtime to warm back up. I always make up my own mind after doing research on any advice my doctor gives me.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Don't get me started. Most doctors don't know much about diabetes. It's amazing what they don't know and they are professionals! That's why I recommend any diabetic to see an Endocrinologist if possible and preferably one that is a Certified Diabetes Educator. This applies whether you are Type I or Type II. I was so fortunate to find that with UNC in NC.

Still, I think that health care professionals have varying opinions about food and health.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Ha! My primary care provider told me a few years ago that swimming wasn't a good form of exercise because the body stays cool and can't "melt" fat. Well, for me, swimming is a GREAT form of exercise. It stretches out all the scarring I have from breast cancer surgeries, it's something I LOVE to do, so can easily commit to doing at least 3 days a week, it's something I can do without injuring my bad knee... I could go on and on. And the cherry on top was Dr. Oz recommending freezing cold showers for weight loss because your body has to work overtime to warm back up. I always make up my own mind after doing research on any advice my doctor gives me.
    Seriously? Hope you got a new primary ;-) Swimming is one of the best forms of exercise because it targets all muscle groups. (Not to mention the benefits you listed.)

And if cold shows really work, I should lose 10 pounds this week ;-) (I have trouble regulating my body temp and we haven't opened our pool yet, so I've been taking two cold showers a day while we're in this heat wave.)

Seriously? Even my doctors at crappy Kaiser Permanente advocate swimming because it works the entire body. And for people who, like me, sweat like a pig (hot flashes, anyone?) from emptying the dishwasher -- you think I'm joking -- swimming is a great way to keep moving because sweat, pool water, who the heck knows? All movement is good.
    What was my point?
    (Gotta love/hate mentalpause...yes, that was intentional...)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I can't imagine why any doctor would discourage any patient from any form of exercise... but back on topic, I'm trying to finesse my recent spider-bite induced weight loss (a pound a day while I was sick) into a permanent loss by keeping a food diary and making sure I'm eating really healthy food until I'm done with the strong antibiotics. They kill my appetite, but I need food in my stomach when I take them. Starchy foods work best, but I don't do refined carbs if I can help it. I've been trying for a small amount of whole grain toast with something healthy on it like avocado or almond butter.
    We had 5 people retiring from work today with a big barbeque and potluck. Luckily there were a lot of fruit and salad options, so tempting as the Swedish meatballs and marshmallow/cool whip desserts were, I kept it healthy. Pretty proud of myself.
    Count your blessings!

My new best friend for staying "on track" as regards nutrient ratios and calories and exercise is the MyFitnessPal app. It helps me keep accountable to myself.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    My new best friend for staying "on track" as regards nutrient ratios and calories and exercise is the MyFitnessPal app. It helps me keep accountable to myself.
    I use that one, too. The data bank is really good. I just need to log in regularly. My husband is on a weight gain diet and it tends to make me angry when he enters his food and says "I need to go and eat a bit more" so I have been avoiding it lately.

I know I am where I am because of poor portion control and afternoon snacking.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Cootie mentioned a book, "Wheat Belly" in the books section. Has anyone here tried eliminating wheat from their diet?
    Count your blessings!

Cootie mentioned a book, "Wheat Belly" in the books section. Has anyone here tried eliminating wheat from their diet?
    I am not 100% convinced it isn't hype but my daughter (soon to be 16) has been wheat free for a few months now and I am doing it with her. She has had issues with canker sores most of her life and they have disappeared, she is a fit, healthy girl otherwise so I can't really comment on the belly issue but her allergic sinus issues have improved and her skin looks really good (she didn't have blemishes but the colour and tone looks very healthy- this could be summer, too)

I have weight issues and I haven't noticed a significant reduction in my belly fat but I do notice that I am more regular (this could be the fact that I eat brown rice pretty well exclusively as my starch).

I really need to completely cut the sugar out of my diet. I still drink tea with milk and sugar a few times a day and indulge in chocolate treats too often.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread