+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

Hubby is a 25-year+ renal transplant recipient and recent cancer survivor, and I have my own "stuff," and neither of us has big healthcare bucks -- so we're being really careful as regards nutrition:
    We avoid canned tuna. Fresh (or frozen only on the boat), wild -- not farmed -- is best. Sure, it costs more, but smaller portions go a longer way toward nutrition. And we only buy from local, trusted fishmongers.
    (Well ... my hubby ... as I'm allergic to most kinds of fish.)
    Maybe it's just a crapshoot, but we figure what we spend on good nutrition is savings toward future medical expenses.
    Last edited by Ellen; 06-19-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Cootie likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I'm a big fan of sardine filets (no bones). There are different flavors and sauces, but maybe try that as an alternative to tuna once in a while.
    I think any natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup is better than white sugar (or *shudder* artificial sweeteners). But whatever you use, you still need to cut waaaaaay back. Believe it or not, it is addictive and once you wean yourself off, you really don't crave it. I haven't had any kind of sugar in about a month. I had a banana smoothie made with almond milk and walnuts the other day and it was almost too sweet. No added sugar of any kind - just the banana.
    Count your blessings!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Gutmutter, unsweetened chocolate almond milk is even more fantastic with a banana smoothie. Yum.

I believe that refined sugar is one of the biggest dietary problems today. It's in everything and is so difficult to avoid that you have to make a concious decision to reduce it and work it out of your life. I react strongly to sugar (and immediately) if I have too much, small amounts are ok.

With my eldest daughter, I actually had the energy to be sure she had NO sugar (besides in whole grain breads) her entire first year. My other daughter is only a year younger, and though I limited the sugar the first year, she did have more. I don't think it's a coincidence my younger daughter craves sugar more than her sister. They ate little sugar when they were young and would go OFF THE WALL if given a few jellybeans or something. It really woke me up to how sugar affects kids, and I've always kept it at a minimum. We still enjoy ourselves with food, but certain things are treats only... soda, for example.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Gutmutter, unsweetened chocolate almond milk is even more fantastic with a banana smoothie. Yum.

I believe that refined sugar is one of the biggest dietary problems today. It's in everything and is so difficult to avoid that you have to make a concious decision to reduce it and work it out of your life. I react strongly to sugar (and immediately) if I have too much, small amounts are ok.

With my eldest daughter, I actually had the energy to be sure she had NO sugar (besides in whole grain breads) her entire first year. My other daughter is only a year younger, and though I limited the sugar the first year, she did have more. I don't think it's a coincidence my younger daughter craves sugar more than her sister. They ate little sugar when they were young and would go OFF THE WALL if given a few jellybeans or something. It really woke me up to how sugar affects kids, and I've always kept it at a minimum. We still enjoy ourselves with food, but certain things are treats only... soda, for example.
    I really love Coke but if I don't have it around I don't miss it. I bought a soda stream and I make my own carbonated water so I just pretend it is a soft drink.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I've never had this! Must find it! What brand makes it?
    Count your blessings!

I had read that tinned tuna was the next best thing to farmed because they use the smaller fish at the canneries and the larger ones go to tuna steaks. The smaller the fish the less mercury.
    Brooks likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Good to know! Thanks! I love tuna on occasion. I put curry in it.
    Count your blessings!

I had my annual physical today. Last two times I told my primary what I was eating and asked for suggestions. This time I asked for her to give me her idea of a cadillac maintenance diet. I already knew she's a proponent of getting your nutrients from food, not supplements.

She's really high on the DASH diet. I thought she was doing a good job until she got hung up on fats being bad, although she also indicated she mostly detested saturated fats. I told her she lost me at low fat, because if you keep protein to a reasonable amount you can't do low fat without doing high carbs, which she also said she doesn't like. Love those inconsistencies!

I have been eating really well. And also frequenting the candy vending machine because life has been really stressful. I'll find out in a few days how that may have affected my numbers. A year ago, when I was on best behavior for almost 3 months ahead of the appointment, my numbers were awesome. (Lipids went from mid normal to borderline too low, LOL.) This time should be more typical of what I'm like to keep up. I monitor blood glucose for the fun of it, so I'm not worried about that.

Let us know how you do! I hear you about conflicting advice. I try to eat a consistent nutritarian diet (Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live") of mostly greens, beans, fruit, nuts/seeds. But when I was researching cholesterol, there are people who swear eating saturated fats is essential ("Eat Fat Lose Fat" - Dr. Mary Enig). Then there's the Paleo diet... meat and greens/nuts. Mediterranian - olive oil a staple. Coconut oil - avoid at all costs/the miracle food. Superfoods - seaweed, raw honey, coconut, hemp seeds, etc. Low carb, low fat. Then there's the Paula Deen diet... eat all the butter, cream, cheese, and deep fried animal products you want and deny you have diabetes (sorry, that just burns my britches).
    I think avoiding sugar and processed foods is a good start no matter what your diet is. I try to concentrate on what I can eat... any/all veggies and fruit for starters. I love a big salad sans the bacon bits, cheese, caloric dressings, etc. Keep up the good work, and try to find a different stress reliever than candy. Have you ever tried Rescue Remedy? It's a Bach flower favorite and now comes in a gummy form. It really works for me. Also, chamomile tea is calming. Make it into an iced tea and sip throughout a stressful day.
    Count your blessings!

My husband and sons are very fit and follow an "eat whatever you want in moderation" plan, exercise and rarely drink alcohol.
    My daughter (soon to be 16) and I have to really watch what we eat (she is Gluten Free) and she is able to stay healthy that way. I need to be more careful and I am starting on the plus side. I keep telling her that when you have the crap fat gene you have to watch it for life. I was really good until 30 or so and then I started slipping and the numbers started climbing. Now I have maintained the same (high) weight for several years. I need to lose but have no will power and, at this point the eat what you want in moderation thing isn't enough.

+ Reply to Thread