+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

think lobster gnocchi and cream of fennel soup
    ... Okay I just thought about it and I think I gained 5 pounds.
    Ellen and TripleGemini like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

The cream of fennel soup had one large scallop in it, a few citrus sections and red peppercorns. The first time I had it in May, it also had candied lilac florets. OMG!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I found the full list... I left out beans and lentils, dark chocolate, soy, olive oil, Pinot Noir wine, flax seed. It doesn't mean you can't eat anything else (unless you're really trying hard to stay off statins like I was), but I'd really try to stay away from the white carbs. There are a lot of great whole grain options available like buckwheat (not a wheat), quinoa, etc. I'm a big fan of raw honey if I need something sweetened. "Pure" honey can have as much as 70% corn syrup.
    I guess it comes down to what you are and aren't willing to do. I'm not willing to take statins. I had already made most of those diet changes, anyway.
    And yes, I exercise almost every day and I'm on my feet all day at work.
    Okay. You are very active. I think that matters.

Does the diet say why eliminating the white carbs effects the cholesterol levels? I thought it was the fats that made it high.

Whole grains are almost not even the same food as white versions where all the healthy stuff has been stripped off. Whole grains sop up the cholesterol and drag it out of your body. White versions convert almost immediately to sugar and are very concerning if you have any concerns about diabetes.
    Count your blessings!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I've been watching The Food Hospital. It's a BBC show. (It's on ErmmTV's youtube channel.) Each show, they take 3-5 people with medical issues and treat them with diet rather than drugs. On the first three shows, they've had psoriasis, migraines, Crohn's disease, poor sperm quality, fatty liver, and others. It's amazing what diet can do - though their results are so good, I'm wondering if there are people they treated with diet who didn't do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I've been watching The Food Hospital. It's a BBC show. (It's on ErmmTV's youtube channel.) Each show, they take 3-5 people with medical issues and treat them with diet rather than drugs. On the first three shows, they've had psoriasis, migraines, Crohn's disease, poor sperm quality, fatty liver, and others. It's amazing what diet can do - though their results are so good, I'm wondering if there are people they treated with diet who didn't do as well.
    It's also on the Cooking Channel. I've seen a couple of episodes...I find it fascinating. (Although they never cover any of my conditions, but it's still interesting to watch.)

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    It's also on the Cooking Channel. I've seen a couple of episodes...I find it fascinating. (Although they never cover any of my conditions, but it's still interesting to watch.)
    Thanks, TG. I'll look for it there. I find it fascinating as well. Everyone knows it's good to cut out (or at least cut down) fried foods, refined flour, and sugar. It's so interesting to see how even healthful foods can harm people. A food that helps some conditions, exacerabates others. It really goes to show that we need to figure out what works for us as an individual.

My daughter is a nanny for a 2-yr-old girl I'll call Allie. Allie has been plagued by coughing fits - she even coughs in her sleep. My daughter suggested the parents take her off dairy. They did, and after 3 days, her cough disappeared. But her parents keep giving her dairy anyway. They just give in to her. Allie will refuse a soy milk yogurt and say she wants the other one and her parents give it to her. When she tries that with my daughter, my daughter says, "Do you remember how you were coughing yesterday?" Allie says yes. My daughter asks, "Do you want to feel like that again?" Allie says no. My daughter says "Then you need to have this yogurt." Allie says okay and eats it and enjoys it. Lazy parents - it's not even that much of a struggle - just wait until she's older! Plus, even worse, they're feeding her something that's apparently harming her. My daughter's finding it harder to train the parents than the two year old.
    Ellen likes this.

Oh KIP, I feel your pain. It's so sad to see parents inflict harm on their kids from laziness and/or ignorance. I see it too. I cringe when I see two obese parents encourage their toddler to eat junk food as a meal, high fat, high sugar, and CAFFEINE. The child is overweight too. When they poured her some Mountatin Dew, I jumped up and offered to get some milk or water instead. They didn't understand why the Mountain Dew might be a poor choice for a toddler with a serious medical condition. PLEASE.

How often is it safe to eat canned tuna? I've been trying to have a low carb lunch lately and it seems like the only thing I crave is tuna fish. I make a little salad with onion, relish, and lite mayo and serve on tomato. Doesn't it have mercury? I wonder why I can't seem to get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

How often is it safe to eat canned tuna? I've been trying to have a low carb lunch lately and it seems like the only thing I crave is tuna fish. I make a little salad with onion, relish, and lite mayo and serve on tomato. Doesn't it have mercury? I wonder why I can't seem to get enough of it.
    There are all kinds of "tables" out there based on your weight. In terms of Mercury ... Canned light is the safest, then White Albacore, then Ahi. Basically once every 3-4 days with the light, every 12-14 days on the White Albacore. Livestrong has a pretty good article.

THANK YOU for asking the question. I like tuna salad too and mostly like to mix the light with the white for both taste and texture. My brain is a sieve some rimes and I completely forgot about the mercury and didn't actually know there was a reference in the mercury content. So I learned something!.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I found the full list... I left out beans and lentils, dark chocolate, soy, olive oil, Pinot Noir wine, flax seed. It doesn't mean you can't eat anything else (unless you're really trying hard to stay off statins like I was), but I'd really try to stay away from the white carbs. There are a lot of great whole grain options available like buckwheat (not a wheat), quinoa, etc. I'm a big fan of raw honey if I need something sweetened. "Pure" honey can have as much as 70% corn syrup.
    I guess it comes down to what you are and aren't willing to do. I'm not willing to take statins. I had already made most of those diet changes, anyway.
    And yes, I exercise almost every day and I'm on my feet all day at work.
    Is pure maple syrup on the list as a sweetener? I recently read some literature that recommends it over honey. Not Aunt Jemima or that slop called "pancake syrup", but the real kind.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread