+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: Food and Health?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I recently made Rigattoni with red sauce and substituted ground meat in the sauce with ground chicken. It was disappointing. It's normally so good, but this was barely edible.
    I guess I'll have to go with organic beef. I was trying to keep the cost down and avoid the hormones and antibiotics.
    Do you have Publix grocery stores in your area? If you do, you might want to look at their GreenWise line of meats. They also carry some of the same products as Whole Foods.

I'll look into the Publix locations. It doesn't sound familiar though.

I guess I can just pay extra and get the organic beef, although, the half and half suggestion is good. I may try that.

I saw a scary report about ground turkey yesterday. Be careful with that.

I just lowered my LDL numbers by 30 points by diet alone, so now the statin discussion is off the table as far as my doctor is concerned. Yay!
    Ellen, waywyrd, Brooks and 4 others like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I saw a scary report about ground turkey yesterday. Be careful with that.
    I think it's always a potential issue buying meat already ground. Safer to buy a grinder and do it yourself if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Did you use quick oats or regular oats? If you ground up the oats like a flour and then left some whole, would it make a more dense cookie? Or, could you add a small amount of applesauce?
    I like this recipe and think I'll experiment with it. So many possibilities. :)
    Thanks for sharing tbamom!

I hope you'll share your experimental results.

Adding nuts makes it sound like banana bread (yum)

I am wondering if you can use or add other mashed fruit or even vegetables.

I don't have any ripe bananas at the moment. Maybe I'll try with canned pumpkin or mashed sweet potatoes and some seasonings!

Thanks for sharing this recipe tbamom
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I just lowered my LDL numbers by 30 points by diet alone, so now the statin discussion is off the table as far as my doctor is concerned. Yay!
    OMG! That's very unusual. I've talked to a couple of doctors about that and they say it's just not done. I guess you proved them wrong. My brother went on a SERIOUS diet to reduce his, but it made little difference.

Can you share what you did?
    Last edited by Debb70; 06-13-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Hubby and I brought our numbers to normal, too, without medication.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

First of all, the high test was done during the summer that my daughter was working at a 5-star Italian restaurant in Provincetown... think lobster gnocchi and cream of fennel soup - not spaghetti. I had gone down several times to visit her, taking her out for breakfast and lunch every meal I was there and then treating myself to her restaurant's finest. So I feel that had a lot to do with the high number. The test previous to that was in the low/normal range. To bring it down, I started taking Metamucil, ate oatmeal for breakfast every day, ate at least 1 or 2 apples a day, lots of fruits and veggies, no "white" carbs (bread, rice, potatoes) or sugar, salmon or sardines 3/4 times a week, walnuts and almonds, plant sterols in products like orange juice, and exercise. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 06-14-2013 at 03:48 AM.
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    First of all, the high test was done during the summer that my daughter was working at a 5-star Italian restaurant in Provincetown... think lobster gnocchi and cream of fennel soup - not spaghetti. I had gone down several times to visit her, taking her out for breakfast and lunch every meal I was there and then treating myself to her restaurant's finest. So I feel that had a lot to do with the high number. The test previous to that was in the low/normal range. To bring it down, I started taking Metamucil, ate oatmeal for breakfast every day, ate at least 1 or 2 apples a day, lots of fruits and veggies, no "white" carbs (bread, rice, potatoes) or sugar, salmon or sardines 3/4 times a week, walnuts and almonds, plant sterols in products like orange juice, and exercise. Hope that helps.
    That's great, but I honestly don't think I could stay on that diet longterm. I think I would really want more carbs and some sugar.

Did you workout much?

I found the full list... I left out beans and lentils, dark chocolate, soy, olive oil, Pinot Noir wine, flax seed. It doesn't mean you can't eat anything else (unless you're really trying hard to stay off statins like I was), but I'd really try to stay away from the white carbs. There are a lot of great whole grain options available like buckwheat (not a wheat), quinoa, etc. I'm a big fan of raw honey if I need something sweetened. "Pure" honey can have as much as 70% corn syrup.
    I guess it comes down to what you are and aren't willing to do. I'm not willing to take statins. I had already made most of those diet changes, anyway.
    And yes, I exercise almost every day and I'm on my feet all day at work.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread