+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

That sounds exactly like what I've been looking for... An oatmeal based cookie alternative using ingredients on my list of foods I eat. Thank you!!!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    That sounds exactly like what I've been looking for... An oatmeal based cookie alternative using ingredients on my list of foods I eat. Thank you!!!
    You are very welcome. The oat/banana ratio may seem dry but keep incorporating them together and the oats will moisten. I got 13 very small sized cookies out of one banana and about 1 cup oats. I going to be participating in Living Below the Line next week so I will see if there are any reduced bananas on the shelf at the supermarket this weekend.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Those of us who are watching what we eat here is an idea I found for pretty healthy "cookies"

You mash a banana and then add enough oats to make it into a dough. Add any extras (chocolate chips, crushed nuts, cinnamon etc) make small, flattened balls and bake at 350 until they are a texture you like (about 10 minutes for us).

They aren't a substitute for buttery, brown sugary goodness but they are pretty decent.
    Did you use quick oats or regular oats? If you ground up the oats like a flour and then left some whole, would it make a more dense cookie? Or, could you add a small amount of applesauce?
    I like this recipe and think I'll experiment with it. So many possibilities.
    Thanks for sharing tbamom!

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Did you use quick oats or regular oats? If you ground up the oats like a flour and then left some whole, would it make a more dense cookie? Or, could you add a small amount of applesauce?
    I like this recipe and think I'll experiment with it. So many possibilities.
    Thanks for sharing tbamom!
    I only had old fashioned slow cook. I think apple sauce or any of those flavoured Motts sauces would work but you might have to lower the temp so it doesn't get that burnt taste from the sugars.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

FORT Fogey

I made garlic bread with olive oil instead of butter. I don't even like the taste of olive oil, but the garlic bread tasted fine. The garlic overpowered the taste of olive oil. It tasted as if the bread had some type of oil/fat... so the garlic bread tasted as if it might as well have been made with butter! Also, the oatmeal/banana cookies sound good... I'll have to try baking some.

I made oatmeal pancakes this weekend. I just put oatmeal in my food processor to grind it fine and then used a regular pancake recipe with the oat flour instead of wheat flour. I needed to add extra milk since the longer it sat, the thicker it got but they were not bad at all. I added a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg and they tasted like muffins.
    Daughter is almost 16 and we think she has a gluten sensitivity so that is why we are playing with wheat substitutes. I know combining rice and potato flour makes nice pancakes so I was trying out oats.

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I made oatmeal pancakes this weekend. I just put oatmeal in my food processor to grind it fine and then used a regular pancake recipe with the oat flour instead of wheat flour. I needed to add extra milk since the longer it sat, the thicker it got but they were not bad at all. I added a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg and they tasted like muffins.
    Daughter is almost 16 and we think she has a gluten sensitivity so that is why we are playing with wheat substitutes. I know combining rice and potato flour makes nice pancakes so I was trying out oats.
    We've done that, too, with oats for pancakes simply because we like the flavor.
    I just bought rice flour today for the first time for a recipe my husband wants to try this week (without the squid not because we have anything against squid, but it may be one of my allergens*):
    Recipes for Mobile | Food & Wine

*For those with wheat/gluten allergies/sensitivities, I'm sure that the all-purpose flour can be replaced with any number of things.
    "Tweaking" recipes is the story of our life for hubby and me, it seems. Lots of trial-and-error but more gems than stinkers to have come out of the process.

I'm trying to encourage hubby to revive his food blog. He's really good!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Yes he is Ellen! I remember the link you shared. I enjoyed it and the pictures were great too.
    Ellen likes this.

I recently made Rigattoni with red sauce and substituted ground meat in the sauce with ground chicken. It was disappointing. It's normally so good, but this was barely edible.
    I guess I'll have to go with organic beef. I was trying to keep the cost down and avoid the hormones and antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I recently made Rigattoni with red sauce and substituted ground meat in the sauce with ground chicken. It was disappointing. It's normally so good, but this was barely edible.
    I guess I'll have to go with organic beef. I was trying to keep the cost down and avoid the hormones and antibiotics.
    ground chicken just takes some getting used to. The texture is different and it isn't as flavourful as the beef is. You could try doing half and half.

+ Reply to Thread