+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

The advice that I've always followed is to buy most of your groceries from the outside aisles of the store. Usually, that's the produce, meats and less processed foods. I try to stick to that and then shop the aisle with the rice and beans. I'll admit that I do buy some frozen meals for convenience, but it's definitely cheaper to by "pure" foods and cook them myself.
    waywyrd and TripleGemini like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I fixed Swiss chard soup, (with mushrooms, tomatoes, green pepper and garlic). I read that Swiss chard helps regulate blood sugar. Swiss chard also contains a cardioprotective flavanoid that's also found in broccoli, kale and strawberries. Swiss chard isn't particularly tasty but at least it's not bitter.

I LOVE Swiss chard. Didn't know those particular health benefits about it. Thanks for the info.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I fixed Swiss chard soup, (with mushrooms, tomatoes, green pepper and garlic). I read that Swiss chard helps regulate blood sugar. Swiss chard also contains a cardioprotective flavanoid that's also found in broccoli, kale and strawberries. Swiss chard isn't particularly tasty but at least it's not bitter.
    That sounds really good; I'd like to make that, too. We're planning on going to one of the farmers' markets tomorrow; all of those ingredients are in season.
    Do you use stock or water as a base? What herbs/seasonings do you like with this dish?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

I made soup with those particular ingredients because that's what was in my refrigerator! I added thyme. What I typically do is simmer greens in water. I steam other vegetables. Carrots or sweet potatoes could be added for natural sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I made soup with those particular ingredients because that's what was in my refrigerator! I added thyme. What I typically do is simmer greens in water. I steam other vegetables. Carrots or sweet potatoes could be added for natural sweetness.
    LOL aren't some of the best recipes born that way? But I really like that mix of ingredients. I also have a half a bag of baby carrots in my fridge. And a lot of thyme still growing (I haven't killed the plant...yet...) on the balcony.
    Thank you for the info!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I had this on my facebook feed the other day and I am going to try. Has anyone else did this?

CLEAN YOUR KIDNEY IN LESS THAN P20 (I CARE FOR ALL OF US)

Years pass by and our kidneys are filtering the blood by removing salt, poison and any unwanted entering our body. With time, the salt accumulates and this needs to undergo cleaning treatments and how are we going to overcome this?
    It is very easy, first take a bunch of parsley (MALLI Leaves)and wash it clean
    Then cut it in small pieces and put it in a pot and pour clean water and boil it for ten minutes and let it cool down and then filter it and pour in a clean bottle and keep it inside refrigerator to cool.
    Drink one glass daily and you will notice all salt and other accumulated poison coming out of your kidney by urination also you will be able to notice the difference which you never felt before.
    Parsley is known as best cleaning treatment for kidneys and it is natural!

Don't forget to Click the SHARE button...

Join us here for more healthy tips
    Living Happy & Healthy
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I had this on my facebook feed the other day and I am going to try. Has anyone else did this?

CLEAN YOUR KIDNEY IN LESS THAN P20 (I CARE FOR ALL OF US)
    Mixture of fact and fiction. Clean Your Kidneys with Less than Rs. 2 - Facts Analysis-HoaxOrFact.com Analysis.

... there is no scientific evidence that Parsley alone can cleanse your kidneys and dissolve stones in particular. However, Parsley is believed to have diuretic and laxative effects that help kidneys to function normally, making them active by producing lot of urine.
    Just drink lots of water.

Also, according to LIVESTRONG, parsley can cause contractions if you're pregnant, and don't use parsley if you're on lithium.

I'm moving my topic of safe meat to this thread. I posted one on the general food thread by mistake. Too late to move.

I discovered that the USDA prohibits the use of hormones in pork or poultry. It's beef and lamb you have to be concerned about. So I don't need to buy organic for those items. They may use antibiotics though.

Avoiding Hormones in Meat and Poultry?

I'm now looking at the safe amount of salmon.

Those of us who are watching what we eat here is an idea I found for pretty healthy "cookies"

You mash a banana and then add enough oats to make it into a dough. Add any extras (chocolate chips, crushed nuts, cinnamon etc) make small, flattened balls and bake at 350 until they are a texture you like (about 10 minutes for us).

They aren't a substitute for buttery, brown sugary goodness but they are pretty decent.
    Ellen and Brooks like this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread