+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

I rarely buy butter because, at least around here, they don't sell it by the stick and I can't get through a whole 4-pack before it goes bad. I've tried freezing it, but even that doesn't keep it fresh long enough. I usually have a margarine/butter spread in case I happen to have bread in the house, although that rarely happens.

Any recipe that calls for butter usually gets olive oil, at least if it's a saute situation. I don't bake much at all, so I really don't have recipes that REQUIRE butter.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I use coconut oil for most things, olive oil, or if I must use butter, I get a really delicious one like Kerry Gold. There is a HUGE difference in taste.
    Count your blessings!

Our grocer carries 1/2 pound packages of butter. Butter is a preference and I happen to LOVE butter. I am not much of an olive oil person but do use it in certain things. I bake a lot so I always have butter on hand.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

FORT Fogey

If you want bread with "something" on it, you can put fruit juice sweetened, sugar-free, organic jam on your bread. You can put olive oil, instead of butter, on steamed potatoes. I guess olive oil could also be added to baked potatoes. A couple of months ago, I got some organic butter and made garlic bread, (with sourdough bread). Garlic bread can be made with olive oil instead of butter. (I looked it up).

It is the hydrogenation process that changes margarine from a liquid oil to a solid spread state that makes it dangerous for you (in addition to the transfats) Butter is better because while it is an animal fat it is a natural process to turn it to a solid state. Think of the original state of your foods and what processes they underwent to become what is in the container you are buying.
    Debb70 likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    It is the hydrogenation process that changes margarine from a liquid oil to a solid spread state that makes it dangerous for you (in addition to the transfats) Butter is better because while it is an animal fat it is a natural process to turn it to a solid state. Think of the original state of your foods and what processes they underwent to become what is in the container you are buying.
    That is great, great advice. In fact, it's probably the main thing to keep in mind when making food choices. For instance, an avocado has a lot of fat but it's a "real" food. A 100-calorie package of Chips Ahoy is less caloric and has less fat, but the avocado doesn't come with a ingredient list that's loaded with preservatives and chemicals.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just feel that I need to get real about avoiding fake stuff. If the food has a long list of ingredients, including odd chemicals, I intend to avoid it. If I eliminate one item per week, I may be okay.

So far, I'm doing fine with no artifical sweetners. Now, no more margarine.

Next week, I'm going to address meats.

My pantry has expanded so much since I started making pretty well everything from scratch. I have no room anymore but I know what we are eating and it tastes pretty great.
    Ellen and inthegarden like this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    My pantry has expanded so much since I started making pretty well everything from scratch. I have no room anymore but I know what we are eating and it tastes pretty great.
    Oh, yeah, I represent this remark :-) I got these really nice containers at BJs that I use for pasta and specialty flours (bread, cake, semolina, etc.). I use old (and very well cleaned) cat food containers for flour and sugar.

Eventually, I will need to address the issue of white flour. That's going to be painful for me. lol

+ Reply to Thread