+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

I have 3 sisters, myself and one sister are overweight my parents are both overweight. The sister who is thin eats whatever she wants but in very reasonable portions. So if she wants McDonalds she has a kids meal and is full afterwards.

My other sister is all about the drop all wheat from your diet to lose weight and then she binges and puts it back on.

I am trying to do portion control so the loss is way slower but, hopefully I will learn better behaviours. Other heavy sister and I go around and around battling about which way is better. I say look at the lifelong thin sister. She knows when to stop eating. I did Dukan a few years ago and lost a whack of weight which I have since regained. I don't think I can do the extremely low carb diets and see any longterm success.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

TBAmom, I think your idea is pretty good. I don't understand the concept of extremes in dieting. I did it years ago, but after seeing the long term outcome, decided it was a waste of time and energy.

Unfortunately, my mom loves fade diets. She is always on the lookout for a strange new way to lose weight. She will jump on pills, shakes, fruits, and gimmicks. She has tried so many over the years. I'm not sure why she won't give them up. It's like she holds out for some magical answer. She has lost a lot of weight on her own before, but is so restrictive in her plan, that she goes off it. A realistic approach, that you can live with longterm is something she refuses to consider. I don't get it.

I don't think any of those really extreme diets really work, at least not long term. I think every one of us knows someone who lost weight on Atkins back in the day and then gained it back as soon as they ate ANY carbs. While white bread (and, frankly any wheat) isn't all that good for you, NO grains isn't healthy. There are nutrients in grains that your body needs. Your body needs fat too. I think it's all about balance.

I'm trying to limit the amount of gluten I eat, but I do splurge from time to time. I try to eat more quinoa and brown rice and other non-wheat grains. I can't imagine trying to follow a diet that didn't allow ANY grains. I think those really restrictive diets may be fine for short periods of time, but I don't think they're healthy or realistic over the long term.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Does anyone know the best thing to use for butter/margerine, etc. Butter is not great, however, margerine has the trans fats, so I'm not sure which is best. I've heard people say just use the butter in moderation instead of getting the trans fat which increases your bad cholesterol.

I've read the ingredients on the blends, but they all have still have trans fats, right?

I use real butter. Margerine changes the texture of baked goods to me. I know there is a vegan butter out there but have never tried it. If you need it for veggies and things like that you should be able to substitute olive oil.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I was with my dad at the doctor's office today and asked the doctor. He said it's better to use butter in small amounts and then olive oil for the rest of things. Skip the margarine.

Nennie, I am okay with olive oil on veggies, no problem, but sometimes I just want a little something on my toast or baked potato. I use just a tad of butter, but always feel a little guilt. I'll have to just get over it.
    Last edited by Debb70; 04-17-2013 at 06:19 PM.

I use butter - switched from margarine a few years ago in an effort to eat real food instead of processed non-food. It has made no difference on the waistlines in my household, but we don't use gobs of it, either. We have also eliminated all artificial sweeteners and products that have them for the same reason.
    waywyrd likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I've used butter only for at least the last 20 years. Like, AJane, we don't use gobs of it. For a spread, I let a stick or two of butter soften, then stir in a tablespoon or two of canola oil per stick. Then it's back in the fridge. It's easier to spread and seems to give just as much of the buttery flavor - we use on bread, for sauteeing, a little on vegetables, etc. (NOT for baking - 100% butter for that).

I use sweet butter (no salt)...like Kip, I haven't used anything but butter for at least 20 years (maybe longer). I'm just careful how much we use. It's healthier than margarine or any of the substitutes.

I had bought one of the blends of butter with canola oil and I thought it would be better for me, but then I started doing research on the canola and found that it's not good for you, even though it's lower in fat. I think they have a blend with butter and olive oil too. I'll have to check the details. I think it has the same amount of fat as butter, but may have some positive things that butter alone would not have.......

I found some ideas for making your own blend of butter, olive oil and a little skim milk. You blend it together and store in the fridge and use as butter. I'm going to try it.
    Last edited by Debb70; 04-18-2013 at 02:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread