+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

For Crossfit training, my son is on the Paleo diet. He is not as strict as he once was and allows himself breaks. He mainly eats fresh vegetables, sweet potatoes, certain fruits, leafy greens (kale), rice, milk, for protein he eats organic chicken and eggs, salmon, occasionally grass fed beef, nuts , nut butters, and dark chocolate.
    I found this website paleodietlifestyle.com. It has different recipes as well as snack ideas. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 04-11-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks! I'll check out that site. I can't imagine being on such a restrictive diet, but I think making a few snacks every month should be easy enough.

The hardest part for me would be no beans, grains or vinegar....or dairy. AND so much meat. One of sites I found suggested fried pork rinds as a snack. Blech.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was on a high protein, low carb diet many times over the years. I never got the weight loss that some do on this kind of diet. AND I found it very unsatisfying. Pork skins are rather tasty, but they make me cough really bad. I must be allergic or something to them. Plus, eating them makes me feel unhealthy. I think they are quite high in fat.

Yeah, there's no way anyone could convince me that DEEP FRIED FAT is a healthy choice. Blech.
    Ellen and inthegarden like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Kind of like the deep fried mac n cheese nuggets they have at our school.
    My rescheduled cholesterol test is Tues. a.m. so I'm on greens and beans and oatmeal for a few days. Then I'm going to enjoy some things I've been denying myself for a while.
    Count your blessings!

That sounds good...deep fried macaroni and cheese.

I am going to start exercising this week. And I will stop drinking the coffee screamer. I need to purchase the dried stuff.
    You can do it!

Ick. Deep friend mac and cheese sounds awful to me! Does the macaroni get crunchy? I don't like arancini either. Maybe it's a thing I have with fried pasta or rice....I certainly don't have a problem with fried potatoes!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I've never heard of deep-fried macaroni and cheese nuggets; it doesn't sound too appetizing to me. The only food I ever really fry these days are chicken cutlets, and that is maybe once a month. We never have fried chicken; I usually just shake some chicken in a bag of seasoned bread crumbs and bake it on a baking sheet for about 1 hour. The chicken has enough fat on the skin, I guess, to make the skin get nice and crunchy. I always bake chicken legs and thighs like this and serve room temperature for my annual Father's Day bbq, along with other barbecued meats.

Critical, I love arancini. I just recently made risotto for the first time and have a good recipe for the rice balls. The pizzerias around here usually put a bit of chopped meat inside, along with the grated cheese; others put peas. My son is a vegetarian so I am going to try my hand at the arancini with only cheese inside. The problem is I don't have a deep fryer; I guess I could use a regular frying pan, if I put enough oil in it.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around deep-fried mac-and-cheese nuggets provided/served/sold by a SCHOOL???!!!
    Really?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I know, right? To answer - the nuggets are breaded, so crunchy on the outside, but creamy on the inside.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread