+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Wow! Back when I used to make my own yogurt, you just used a little of some other yogurt. Good luck!
    That's what I did, too! It was so easy.
    Actually, these are easy; it's just that the "starters" are different -- and have different/additional good bacteria/probiotic stuff.
    My next experiment in fermentation will be kimchee.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I got a book called Eat Fat to Lose Fat... it says you should eat natural fat like chicken skin, full fat dairy, red meat, eggs, etc. It claims there is no causal relation between high cholesterol and deaths from heart disease. All the studies sited are from the '50s - '70s. Seems a little irresponsible to make these claims with no more current studies than that.
    Count your blessings!

Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories" does a terrific job of discussing the scientific literature, including studies relating to cholesterol levels.

The most intriguing part of the book to me was the discussion about the politics of national policy on diet. Early on it was accepted as gospel, with no good scientific basis, that fats were bad. Merely because certain "scientists", like Ancel Keys, grabbed the attention of the media. From there, it became very difficult to obtain funding if the goal of your research was not to further the "low fat" mantra. Even if you obtained funding it was very unlikely to be published. Even if you were published your were very unlikely to be cited as a reference in any one else's research, which meant you had little credibility.

There are more recent studies than the 50-70s, but subsequent to that time the politics of it took hold so far fewer studies were published.

What's irresponsible is the many decades over which national policy was based on bad science.

I just bought it for my Kindle and will start reading it now. My grandmother ate chicken, beef, pork, butter, cream, the whole nine yards and lived well into her 90s.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    ...What's irresponsible is the many decades over which national policy was based on bad science.
    LOL! And not just with diet/health. Case in point: the insistance of "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance since 1954. Clearly not based on good science. No surprise that anything else is any different.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I guess my next hurdle will be if I go back in March and haven't lowered my cholesterol enough. If whatever doctor-of-the-day I get wants to put me on Lipitor, I don't know how to have the discussion that cholesterol science is hogwash. Do I spit in his/her face first? Am I likely to find a doctor who will humor me? Do I just refuse and take my chances? I'm borrowing trouble, because I may be lowering my LDL, or more likely raising my HDL just by adding more exercise and losing weight... 4 lbs. now since committing to my cholesterol lowering diet.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I guess my next hurdle will be if I go back in March and haven't lowered my cholesterol enough. If whatever doctor-of-the-day I get wants to put me on Lipitor, I don't know how to have the discussion that cholesterol science is hogwash. Do I spit in his/her face first? Am I likely to find a doctor who will humor me? Do I just refuse and take my chances?
    I don't try to convince my doctor or vet of anything, but I do generally prefer being upfront with what I'm doing. Or not doing. Hubby was on Lipitor for a while until the day he was diagnosed diabetic and up on Metformin. He never wanted statins in the first place because of the potential side effects. We just had the first bloodwork post Lipitor and it wasn't good, but I really believe it's an issue of controlling blood sugar and triglycerides and that the best diet for diabetes will take care of the lipids. Plus it will cut back on the inflammation which I believe is the root of the problem. If you can get your carbs below about 60 grams a day the lipids should take caer of themselves. But hard to convince an Italian to go quite that far, LOL.

I'm borrowing trouble, because I may be lowering my LDL, or more likely raising my HDL just by adding more exercise and losing weight... 4 lbs. now since committing to my cholesterol lowering diet.
    I'm not sure what you mean by borrowing trouble since you're making progress in the right direction. I do think you should keep the "small dense" LDL as low as possible. If you don't like your numbers in March you could ask your doctor how you can keep track of that particular issue rather than guessing from the vaguer labwork results.

Let us know how you're doing and what you're eating to get there.

I meant, I don't need to be worrying about any of it quite yet because I don't know what the test results are going to be.
    I'm pretty good at eliminating white carbs. I'm having oatmeal most mornings now instead of sprouted grain toast. The Metamucil has really curbed my appetite! I have an apple and almonds at lunch after a mid-morning Metamucil break and I'm good until after school. I have my big salad with beans (and now the addition of garlic) and raw veggies and seeds (chia, sesame) after school and that's all I really want the rest of the day!
    What's your stand on coconut oil?
    Count your blessings!

I jumped on this thread to see if there was anything about Aspartame. (I'm not sure what is true, but have decided to go off of it for a few months, maybe forever.) Then I see I all this info about cholesterol lowering meds.

I'm a Type I diabetic. My Endo is a very highly respected expert in Diabetes. (Director of the Endo dept at a major teaching hospital, researcher, author, etc.) So, I tend to listen to him. He wants my cholesterol much lower than most people think is okay. I went on Pravastain. I don't think I've had any side effects. I don't feel comfortable refusing to take it. I've tried diet and exercise. Even when I'm very fit, running about 15 miles per week, plus other cardio, and eating right, my levels hover around 200. He tells me, they will not come down low enough doing that.

Anyone know if any little known diets that might work? Sensible eating of low fat, low cholesterol foods has not really been that effective.

Is anyone familiar with the paleo diet? A good friend has just started on it this week. Her son had good luck with it, so she thought she'd give it a try. We're part of a group that gets together weekly and we always have snacks. Several of us are either gluten free or low gluten and we're all trying to eat healthy. I'm having a tough time coming up with new ideas. We did fresh fruit this week, but I think fruit and veggie plates are going to get dull.

This is really stretching my creativity! You can't eat any grains or beans on paleo and no vinegar, so even a simple veggie salad or hummus is out. Of course, no dairy.

I found a few sites with snack ideas, some of which are hilarious. Under movie snacks (presumably, these are things you would take with you to the theater) they listed meatballs. Like you just pop those in your purse.

I'm definitely glad I'm not having to follow this diet - I couldn't go without quinoa and brown rice (among other things) and I don't want to eat that much meat - but I want to support my friend. I found a few recipes for baked goods, but alternative flours (almond, coconut, etc.) aren't cheap. Healthy and gluten-free isn't all that difficult, but when you throw paleo into the mix, it gets really hard!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread