+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

I go in "spurts" -- now that basketball season is ending (two of my kids played, and we're never at home ) I'll get back into it. I make bread a couple of times a week on average - two loaves at a time. I use hard red and hard white mostly. I consider that a high achievement because if my family had their choice, it would be white bread all the time Now, at least, they've gotten off of that and enjoy the denser texture of homemade whole wheat and Italian-style bread.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Where do you buy your wheat? (I'll keep pestering you with questions )
    Count your blessings!

I have friends who purchase in bulk via a co-op, but we have local stores that sell small bags. I buy 50-lb sacks, take out what I need for a month or two and vacuum-seal the rest. Wheat can last many years if stored properly, and it's cheaper to buy in bulk if you can. I like the store from which I get mine (a fresh-food shop run by Mennonites), and the wheat I'm able to get is organic.

There's a store I buy from (not wheat but other food items and their service is very good) - beprepared.com You can buy large sealed buckets (called SuperPails) of different types of grains. Breadbeckers is a good site for anything bread/wheat related, and I've seen bulk wheat sold there. Via the internet, I'm sure you can find places in your area.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Thank you so much for your valuable information! I think I'll start with Whole Foods next time I'm in that area, and ask old friends in a food co-op where I used to live if they can get some for me. You're the best!
    Count your blessings!

I'm following your juice discussion with interest, but I confess I cannot stomach juice (except cranberry or grapefruit, and those are very occasional). It's not the taste, it's the texture. Though I do love yogurt/fruit smoothies.

I have used low-sodium V8 to cook with. It's a really good item to use to sauté veggies like zucchini and peppers - quick because it's already seasoned and prepared so it doesn't have to be cooked down.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I don't know if this is where to put this but my sister got cards in the mail today that will help with prescriptions. It cost nothing and she called the place to check it out and I am saying it is government backed but this the website that gives this. Four of our pharmacies in our town take these card. It gives you up to $500.00 a year. We are going to try it out on the next prescriptions we have filled and see if it works. The website is RxRelief Card | Save up to 75% on your prescription medications.

Mods if I am not supposed to do this please delete and accept my apologies.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    That's the movie I watched on Netflix that got me inspired. I don't know if I could do the 60 day juice fast. I already eat mostly fruits, veggies, beans, and nuts, so for now I'm just adding juicer juice to the mix and see what happens. I tried replacing my morning toast and nut butter with juice this morning, but halfway through my swim, I could feel the energy drain out of me and I was starving by the time I showered and sauna-ed. I wouldn't want to head into work feeling that way.

How much juice is too much? I feel like once I have the juicer out I want to get good value for the amount of clean-up required!
    I just finally watched that movie too and WOW. Totally inspiring! I don't think I could do the juice fast because a) I can't afford it and b) my stomach is really sensitive. If I have even a medium-sized glass of any kind of juice, I'm totally nauseated. I think it's the acid. I can eat 3 oranges in a day, but one glass of juice sinks me. Same with apples.

I do try to eat more fresh fruits and veggies and less processed anything, as well as more beans. I can't go fully vegetarian because my body can't function without animal protein, but I've cut down quite a bit and rarely have red meat any more.

I guess I just have to settle for the whole foods rather than the pureed ones!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I use to be about 50% raw. And it does make you hungry.

Nowadays I am trying to be wheat conscious, trying to minimize my wheat intake by eating rice, sweet potatoes or regular potatoes
    You can do it!

Quinoa and squash are even better. Quinoa has a lot of protein and squash has a lot less carbohydrates. Have you ever tried sprouting brown rice before cooking? Soak overnight/until ready to cook. Really increases the nutritional value.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Quinoa and squash are even better. Quinoa has a lot of protein and squash has a lot less carbohydrates. Have you ever tried sprouting brown rice before cooking? Soak overnight/until ready to cook. Really increases the nutritional value.
    It was easier to be raw prehubby. I am just hoping to get back to a more qualitative diet. He would want to go out for breakfast every morning he was off. And I would eat German chocolate pancakes.

I rebought some weights. I am more contientious when I am doing some physical exercise.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread