+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

FORT Regular

Re: Food and Health?

is it really true that gluthatione products can cause cancer???
    they say the energy drinks too.............

FORT Fogey

Wow--thanks for all the great feedback! I really appreciate everyone's comments and ideas.

I was thinking about this subject some more last night and had two more things to add--one of the lecturers (I can't remember which one since they ran four different authors/lecturers' shows in succession all on one day!) said to cut out ALL dairy. (which would include milk, cheese, ice cream etc.)

This really startled me. Apparently a lot of people have lactose problems--many more than we think.

Two--As someone who's always been interested in Anthropology I started thinking about what kinds of foods our prehistoric ancestors had available to them.

Lots of greens, nuts, fruits, only some meat protein (hunting is very labor intensive and takes a LOT of time. They ate meat--if they were lucky--only about once a week. Most anthropologists now call it "Gatherers-Hunters" because it was he gathering that brought in most of the food. (The current thinking is that their diet was about 85% gathered--plants, nuts, fruits etc--and only about 15 hunted--animal protein.)

My question--I wonder if they had access to dairy? If we're talking about people before they settled down and became farmers I'd have to think that the only "dairy" that was available was mother's milk. No domesticated cows or goats etc. since that came along with farming/herding.

Also--there would not have been any grains available since most grains that we eat are the result of a lot of domestication and cultivation. Wheat is actually a wild grass that was carefully domesticated/cultivated over time. There would have been wild rice available(which is not a grain of course) but only in certain specific climates.

Any thoughts on this subject of what people orginally ate based on what was available to them?

IMO what our ancestors ate is important because whatever they ate it was enough to help them live long enough to reproduce--which is why we are here today.
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 09-09-2009 at 01:50 PM.

MRD

I've read some of the same theories and one thing that has ALWAYS stuck out in my mind is this: humans are the ONLY mammal that drinks another mammals milk. So I would think that until we became herders, we did not have any dairy or very little.

Although, based on evidence found in some prehistoric caves, there was a lot of animal protein. One of the earliest "religious" practices was to arrange the animal bones that had been cleaned of meat back into the shape of the animal as a way of "honoring" the animal and ensuring continued good hunting. Cave paintings also bear out this theory. I am sure that in some areas meat was more plentiful than in others, but it must have been somewhat plentiful if they were able to eventually change into a herding society.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Is anyone interested in starting a thread for recipes for folks on special diets, such as gluten free, low sodium, etc. I would be willing to start it if there is enough interest. I am on a special diet myself and appreciate any help.

Whatcha all think????

It's a great idea! My suggestion is to have a separate thread for each special diet, to keep the info and discussion focused.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3743214;
    It's a great idea! My suggestion is to have a separate thread for each special diet, to keep the info and discussion focused.

Do you think the mods would let us set up multiple threads? I am not experienced enough around here to know how they would react. I know this is all OT stuff, but I suspect it is still monitored (???).

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3743238;
    Do you think the mods would let us set up multiple threads? I am not experienced enough around here to know how they would react. I know this is all OT stuff, but I suspect it is still monitored (???).
    You could PM a Mod or ask in the Questions subforum. I'm not sure if this site advocates "reporting a post" to ask for such advice.

It just makes sense to me to have separate threads rather than lumping all special diets into one thread. Otherwise anyone looking for specific info or wanting to reply back to specific info would have to sift through all the other posts. JMO...
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3743245;
    You could PM a Mod or ask in the Questions subforum. I'm not sure if this site advocates "reporting a post" to ask for such advice.

It just makes sense to me to have separate threads rather than lumping all special diets into one thread. Otherwise anyone looking for specific info or wanting to reply back to specific info would have to sift through all the other posts. JMO...

I agree with you, I just don't know about the mods. I will communicate with one of them sometime today about this. I don't need to report a post -- that always raises the red flags.

It's fine to start those threads.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3743356;
    It's fine to start those threads.

Thanks, Critical!!!!!!!!!!!! I've met a couple of folks here who are on low-sodium (including me) and that is the first thread I'm going to start. I guess other posters will get the hint.

+ Reply to Thread