+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    It's best if you drink it within 20 min. if you want the full effect. I do a lot of blendered fruits and veggies on a daily basis, so I'm not sure what the benefits of juicing are other than getting the juice from a LOT more of them.
    That's true...but I've been told that if you cover it (to the top level, keep oxygen out), the oxidation and nutrient loss isn't that bad, as long as it's refrigerated and consumed within a matter of hours. Beats having to drop everything, juice, and then clean it all up again. For me, anyway.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I have a friend who started on Feb. 5 the 60-day juice fast outlined in "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" -- he's still sticking to it! I just can't commit to that at this stage of my life (having to cook for a family!), but I'd like to try it someday.
    That's the movie I watched on Netflix that got me inspired. I don't know if I could do the 60 day juice fast. I already eat mostly fruits, veggies, beans, and nuts, so for now I'm just adding juicer juice to the mix and see what happens. I tried replacing my morning toast and nut butter with juice this morning, but halfway through my swim, I could feel the energy drain out of me and I was starving by the time I showered and sauna-ed. I wouldn't want to head into work feeling that way.

How much juice is too much? I feel like once I have the juicer out I want to get good value for the amount of clean-up required!
    Count your blessings!

That's the movie I watched on Netflix that got me inspired. I don't know if I could do the 60 day juice fast. I already eat mostly fruits, veggies, beans, and nuts, so for now I'm just adding juicer juice to the mix and see what happens. I tried replacing my morning toast and nut butter with juice this morning, but halfway through my swim, I could feel the energy drain out of me and I was starving by the time I showered and sauna-ed. I wouldn't want to head into work feeling that way.

How much juice is too much? I feel like once I have the juicer out I want to get good value for the amount of clean-up required!
    Do you mean to make or consume? My juicer (a Breville) came with a pitcher that holds 1200 milliliters, I usually fill it to the 1,000 mark - not be design, that's just when I've finished packing in what I want for that morning/lunchtime. I drink a 12 oz glass at a time, my husband about half that, but he's slowing increasing the amount. If I drink a whole glass of juice as my meal (before anything else, including coffee or water) and wait about half an hour afterwards to have anything, I feel it gets into my system more efficiently, and I don't start craving anything to eat until maybe 4 hours later. The burst of nutrients first thing in the morning really gets my energy level up - and in a good way, I don't come crashing down later. For lunch I'll have another glass of juice with something to eat (perhaps a boiled egg white or two, an apple.

I've not gotten into juicing fruits because I'm just not a big fruit lover. Can't explain it, just don't really crave fruits.

I've found that if I prep the vegies/lemon for my juice the night before, cover them tightly so they don't oxidize in the frig, I can pull them out straight away in the morning when I'm not exactly alert (or friendly) - it's not long after having my juice that I feel I can conquer the world! So once I'm through cleaning in the morning, I'm done until evening, when I prep again for the morning. It works for me.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Thanks. That is what I was asking. I only make as much as I can drink right then, but I don't know if it's possible to go overboard if all you're drinking is veggie juice.
    Count your blessings!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Y'all are probably going to laugh at me with your fresh juicing habits, but do any of you have any opinions on the V8's or the V8's juice/veggie combos? Or any other of the pre-bottled veggie juices? Any good at all?
    I guess I'm lazy about juicing my own juice. :p

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Y'all are probably going to laugh at me with your fresh juicing habits, but do any of you have any opinions on the V8's or the V8's juice/veggie combos? Or any other of the pre-bottled veggie juices? Any good at all?
    I guess I'm lazy about juicing my own juice. :p
    Actually, yes I just might have a comment

My husband has always loved them, too. But frankly, the canning/bottling process kills most (or all, I can't remember) of the enzymes which are good for you and really depletes the vitamin/mineral values. So while I don't think they're BAD for you (better than a sugar drink or milk), it's just a pale representation to what you get in fresh (especially fresh organic). My husband now prefers the homemade juices because it not only tastes super fresh, but he can actually "feel" the effects of the vitamin/mineral punch, whereas he didn't with the others. Hope that helps

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Thanks SugarMama. The main reason I drink them is, unlike the rest of my family, I'm just not a fresh veggie eater. (Besides salad greens) I think perhaps I'm going to have to force those veggies on myself at meals or try juicing for real.

I can understand why you might not want the whole juicing experience. I've had the past week off and have used it to groom myself into a juicing ritual so when I start back to work Monday it will already be habit. It has pros and cons. A lot of produce, prep, and clean up for what appears to be minimal output. You have to really believe the couple of small glasses of juice you get are worth all that. I would say that V8 is a good compromise if you're not willing to make the juice yourself. It is certainly better than soda, sugared juice drinks, or cafeinated beverages. I used to keep the single serving cans (low sodium) at my desk at work. Another option is to use a blender. You can use frozen fruit for convenience and throw in a handful of baby spinach that you won't even taste. Be sure to add enough liquid (I use water, almond milk, or tea) to make it pourable. You still get the benefits with more fiber and less clean up.

Now for a crazy question: Can you mill your own whole-grain flour from wheat berries in a food processor like a Magic Bullet? I watched the film, How to Cook Your Life and ordered the Tassajara Bread Book. I think it proposes making bread by hand with flour processed as you need it.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 02-25-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    Count your blessings!

...Now for a crazy question: Can you mill your own whole-grain flour from wheat berries in a food processor like a Magic Bullet? I watched the film, How to Cook Your Life and ordered the Tassajara Bread Book. I think it proposes making bread by hand with flour processed as you need it.
    Interesting question, I can't wait to hear if anyone's experienced it. While I have Magic Bullet (rarely use it, but it's nice to have on hand), I also have a Wonder Mill grain mill, so I always use that. My first guess would be that it won't make it as fine a grind, but who knows? Hope someone answers

Ever the one to go overboard with new interests, I read some bread recipes in my other crunchy granola cookbooks and went out and bought spelt, buckwheat, and whole wheat flour. I'll try some interesting bread tomorrow. How often do you use your grain mill, and for what grains?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread