+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Though I do shun soft drinks, since I started distance running, I do use Gatorade. I water it down and just use 1/3 Gatorade in my water bottle. Not to over-share..but I don't glow, I don't perspire, I sweat, so I really do require the electrolyte replacement. The low-calorie stuff does have aspartame, though, so I use the regular product with sugar.
    My coach in college used to recommend this for meets-- either water it down or alternate sips, but make sure more than half is water, especially for the championship meet which was three days (swimming).

I just read this (very timely!) article about addiction to artificial sweeteners:
    Can you get hooked on diet soda? - CNN.com

It's a little long to copy and paste here, but really interesting. The descriptions about the physical reaction to going cold turkey from aspartame are pretty accurate, based on my own experiences. Very scary.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

If you Google "cooking with Stevia" you'll get tips for adjusting your recipes (especially when baking). Apparently, you need to add more liquid for "body" which sugar gives.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

For those concerned that they may not be getting enough vegetables in their diet, I have discovered that a number of vegetables go quite well with fruit salad and cottage cheese. Every one in a while I try to do the salad-for-lunch thing, but I really don't care much for salad. So in my endless manoeuvrings to incorporate more veg, I tried adding kale and jicama to my lunchtime dessert of pineapple, blueberries and cottage cheese. And may I say it works fantastically. You can add pretty much any vegetable but those of the onion family. I haven't tried, but I imagine it wouldn't be good.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Jicama rocks! It's such a wonderful "blank slate" for flavors, yet it adds a lot as regards fiber, texture, moisture, and who knows what else.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    For those concerned that they may not be getting enough vegetables in their diet, I have discovered that a number of vegetables go quite well with fruit salad and cottage cheese. Every one in a while I try to do the salad-for-lunch thing, but I really don't care much for salad. So in my endless manoeuvrings to incorporate more veg, I tried adding kale and jicama to my lunchtime dessert of pineapple, blueberries and cottage cheese. And may I say it works fantastically. You can add pretty much any vegetable but those of the onion family. I haven't tried, but I imagine it wouldn't be good.
    I LOVE this idea! Thanks!
    Count your blessings!

It's been almost a year since anyone has posted in this thread, but I'm very curious if those of you who started juicing (SugarMama and MRD) have kept up with it. I watched a documentary on Netflix this morning about a guy (and eventually another guy he inspired) who went on juice fasts, progressing to the Eat to Live diet who lost over 100 lbs. each and were able to go off all medications. I've been doing the Eat to Live diet pretty regularly since June but fell off the wagon when my daughter was home for a month from culinary school over the holidays. I've been trying to get back to it with varying success since she left. I'm on vacation for a week now and am determined to stick to juicing in the morning followed by a large salad with beans for my main meal around lunch, or split between lunch and dinner. I worry that the time-consuming clean-up of the juicer will be prohibitive on a daily basis once I'm back at work.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    It's been almost a year since anyone has posted in this thread, but I'm very curious if those of you who started juicing (SugarMama and MRD) have kept up with it. I watched a documentary on Netflix this morning about a guy (and eventually another guy he inspired) who went on juice fasts, progressing to the Eat to Live diet who lost over 100 lbs. each and were able to go off all medications. I've been doing the Eat to Live diet pretty regularly since June but fell off the wagon when my daughter was home for a month from culinary school over the holidays. I've been trying to get back to it with varying success since she left. I'm on vacation for a week now and am determined to stick to juicing in the morning followed by a large salad with beans for my main meal around lunch, or split between lunch and dinner. I worry that the time-consuming clean-up of the juicer will be prohibitive on a daily basis once I'm back at work.

Does your juice have to be juiced fresh everyday or could you juice enough for a few days? That would cut down on the clean up if you could do that.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

It's best if you drink it within 20 min. if you want the full effect. I do a lot of blendered fruits and veggies on a daily basis, so I'm not sure what the benefits of juicing are other than getting the juice from a LOT more of them.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I took a hiatus...it's hard to keep up with that many vegies! BUT, I'm happy to say that beginning February 1, the juicer came out of hiding. With the exception of today, I've been making a pitcher of juice daily, which makes about 3 or 4 12-oz glasses. I feel so great when I have a big glass first thing in the morning, tons of energy. I've gotten my husband to participate, too - he's noticed how when he has the juice in the morning he doesn't get that mid-morning hunger and he notices his energy level is through the roof! I try to have two glasses/day and eat a sensible dinner. While I've not really lost any weight (I'm not fasting and not exercising), I'm feeling better, my blood pressure is WAY down, as is my heart rate, and I'm looking forward to springtime!

I have a friend who started on Feb. 5 the 60-day juice fast outlined in "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" -- he's still sticking to it! I just can't commit to that at this stage of my life (having to cook for a family!), but I'd like to try it someday.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread