+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

There is a natural sweetener called Stevia, which can be bought in a powder or liquid form. It's a preferable alternative to artificial sweeteners, but it does have a disagreeable aftertaste.

I used Stevia until I was able to kick the sugar habit. I don't drink diet soda but I did like sugar in my coffee, and my biggest food vice is my coffee drinking. For years, I was also a diet Coke addict. I used to smoke, and I think the cigarettes killed the bad taste of the diet drinks. I can't stand any soft drinks at all anymore - too sweet.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    There is a natural sweetener called Stevia, which can be bought in a powder or liquid form. It's a preferable alternative to artificial sweeteners, but it does have a disagreeable aftertaste.

I used Stevia until I was able to kick the sugar habit. I don't drink diet soda but I did like sugar in my coffee, and my biggest food vice is my coffee drinking. For years, I was also a diet Coke addict. I used to smoke, and I think the cigarettes killed the bad taste of the diet drinks. I can't stand any soft drinks at all anymore - too sweet.
    I've read that Stevia doesn't raise one's blood sugar and is good for diabetics, is that true? Can you cook with it as a sugar substitute?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I've read that Stevia doesn't raise one's blood sugar and is good for diabetics, is that true? Can you cook with it as a sugar substitute?
    My friend's husband is diabetic and she said the Canadian Diabetes Association has not officially endorsed Stevia for diabetics. Don't know about the American association, though - the U.S. tends to be ahead of Canada in approving foods. I use it in baking, what little of it I do. It works very well in muffins, no one can tell the difference.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    My friend's husband is diabetic and she said the Canadian Diabetes Association has not officially endorsed Stevia for diabetics. Don't know about the American association, though - the U.S. tends to be ahead of Canada in approving foods. I use it in baking, what little of it I do. It works very well in muffins, no one can tell the difference.
    Do you have to change the quantity/ratio when substituting Stevia for sugar? I've read it's a lot stronger than sugar (not tried it yet, but I've bought some and hope to try it soon).
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Do you have to change the quantity/ratio when substituting Stevia for sugar? I've read it's a lot stronger than sugar (not tried it yet, but I've bought some and hope to try it soon).
    Yes, absolutely. For instance, my banana muffin recipe says a cup of sugar, but I only use a 1/4 cup of Stevia. The general rule, though, is to use half of much sweetener (that goes for Splenda as well) as you would sugar.

My aunt is diabetic and does like Stevia, but she still uses it sparingly. I don't know if it's been officially endorsed by the diabetes association in the US or not, AJane. I'm always wary of products that come out and seem really wonderful - call me paranoid, but I always wait for the other shoe to drop!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    My aunt is diabetic and does like Stevia, but she still uses it sparingly. I don't know if it's been officially endorsed by the diabetes association in the US or not, AJane. I'm always wary of products that come out and seem really wonderful - call me paranoid, but I always wait for the other shoe to drop!
    Oh no, you're so right to question what "they" say. We have to investigate things ourselves, unfortunately. There are a lot of people who will pursue wealth at any(one's) cost! For example, while asparatame is banned in Europe for use in children's products (see link below), it's perfectly legal and FDA-approved here in the U.S. Remember, my doctors and nutritionist told me it was completely safe, so I used it when I was pregnant! I'm copying this from the article:

On the European Common Market, Aspartame is banned for all children's products. Why is this not the case in Canada and the U.S.? Because Monsanto - which owns the NutraSweet Company which manufactures Aspartame - pays off the FDA, the American Medical Association, The American Dietetic and Diabetic Associations, Congressmen and Senators and virtually anyone who gets in the way, and in other countries too. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation caught them red handed and aired a program where Monsanto was trying to bribe Canadian Doctors at Health Canada.

also from the same article (I've read this elsewhere, but it's worth repeating):

NutraSweet (Aspartame) is composed of linkages of aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methanol. The aspartic acid acts as a neuroexcitatory agent. When NutraSweet is digested, it yields 10% methanol (wood alcohol). The wood alcohol (methanol) is widely distributed throughout the body including brain, muscle, fat and nervous tissue. It is then metabolized to FORMALDEHYDE which enters the cells and binds to the proteins and DNA (the genetic material).
    -- Aspartame - the silent killer

...I try to stay away from soda of any kind....
    It's now been over a decade since I've had a soda -- diet or otherwise. I don't miss it a bit.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Though I do shun soft drinks, since I started distance running, I do use Gatorade. I water it down and just use 1/3 Gatorade in my water bottle. Not to over-share..but I don't glow, I don't perspire, I sweat, so I really do require the electrolyte replacement. The low-calorie stuff does have aspartame, though, so I use the regular product with sugar.

I was using stevia for a while, but now only take it when I'm travelling (easier to carry those packets than a box of sugar cubes). I can't remember the specific details, but I do recall reading that stevia is contraindicated for pregnant women and my opinion is always that if pregnant women shouldn't be taking something, neither should non-pregnant women.

And for all those concerned about food and their health, I know I've been a nag about this issue before, but you should also consider the effect of household cleaners on your health, and that includes detergent. All one's cleaning needs can be met with the use of soap, baking soda, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, without the attendant rashes, headaches, asthma, contact with carcinogens and general destruction of the world you are leaving your kids.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread