+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I started juicing today and it was good. Even veggie hating hubby loved it.
    So am now going to do juice for us every morning. Have recipes for him for joint pain and me for thyroid.
    There was very little waste. The juice is very thick.
    I don't know what kind it is, it's my daughters,
    But not much waste considering what I put in. And that now leads me to next issue: going to need to truck in the fruits and veggies for this.
    It took a lot to get 2 servings of juice.
    That's exciting! What do you put in yours?

It IS a lot of vegies, and I'm lucky I have two refrigerators because one is full of my juicing stuff! We live a long way from a store, so I have to buy in quantity.

I've found that when I have a big glass of my juice in the morning (before any coffee or anything else), I really don't get hungry until around lunchtime. In the past, I would start wanting to "graze" around 10:00 or so for some kind of snack. Don't get that with the juice.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

MRD

Well I was kind of hungry around 10.

I did carrot, celery, spinach, apple and grapes.

Been looking up various things.for added magnesium and thyroid health for me and joint health for hubby.

We let our SAMs club membership run out and now are trying to decide on that or costco. SAMs had a lot of bigger packages of celery, carrots and spinach. Never been in Costco. So don't know. But have to find cheaper and bulk veggies.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Honestly MRD, CostCo and Sam's Club are pretty comparable. There are very few noticeable differences and those are mainly cosmetic - Sam's Club seems to have better signage on the aisles and they display their books differently. Otherwise, I'd swear it was the same store - even the food they sell at the "restaurant" is the same. Different store brands, but the food looks the same to me

Have you looked into Angel Food Ministries? I'm getting my first order this weekend. I got one of the food boxes and then am splitting a produce box with a friend. The produce box has a ton of fruit and veggies for just over $20. I'll let you know how it is That's only once a month, but it's something. This month's box has 3 lbs each of oranges and tangerines - that's a lot of juice!

I know that we also have Food Co. that buys at wholesale prices and passes that on to customers. Smart & Final also has good prices on produce.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

MRD - In Costco you either have to pay cash, write a check, or use an American Express card they issue. The card is free with the annual membership fee ($50?) and you get rebates for everything you charge on the card. Some Costco outlets have gas stations and gas is a lot cheaper there; my hubby also bought his last set of tires there and I believe they have tire rotation for free (for the life of the tires). They have nice fruit and veggies if you can use the quantity.

Never have belonged to Sam's Club, so can't comment on that.

MRD

We mostly use cash anyway, so not a problem.

Crit, thanks for the reminder on Angel food. Had forgotten.

We loved SAMs. The laundry detergent alone made up the membership price. But heard Costco is more like a grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    MRD - In Costco you either have to pay cash, write a check, or use an American Express card they issue. The card is free with the annual membership fee ($50?) and you get rebates for everything you charge on the card. Some Costco outlets have gas stations and gas is a lot cheaper there; my hubby also bought his last set of tires there and I believe they have tire rotation for free (for the life of the tires). They have nice fruit and veggies if you can use the quantity.

Never have belonged to Sam's Club, so can't comment on that.
    That used to be true about Costco. Now, you can use any old debit or credit card.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

MRD

We are very fortunate to have a locally owned grocery store called Bargain foods.
    I primarily but canned and packaged foods as their fresh section is very small.
    No canned foods are over 99 cents and most are 39-59 cents.
    Their refrigerated and freezer sections are great too.
    10 pounds of potatoes were $1.99, albs of onions for 99 cents, hambuger $1 a pound, chicken leg quarters 59 cents a pound.
    Anyway, am getting food there way cheaper than SAMs, Costco, Angel Food or the store. It can be hit or miss, next time they may not have chicken leg quarter.
    Just they have hardly any fresh produce. Trying to decide what to do for a cheap source of fruits and veggies.

I've never been in SAMS but Costco has plenty of cheap veggies and fruits.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Trying to decide what to do for a cheap source of fruits and veggies.
    I've never been to CostCo simply because there isn't one near me. I get my potatoes (not vegies but throwing it in there), lemons, spinach, asparagus, bell peppers (all colors), bagged salad, tomatoes, celery at Sam's because the prices are better than my local grocery stores (even Walmart's). I don't buy a lot of fruit (bad me!) but our Sam's always has a good choice most (grapes, apples, pineapple, pears, bananas, berries, citrus). However, I get my organic juicing carrots at Kroger (it's the only store in my area that carries them).

Good luck!

I can't wait for my garden this summer - I grow my own spinach, peppers, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, zuchinni, green beans, broccoli, herbs, onions. That's really fresh!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Kao

That sounds fantastic, SugarMama! You're so fortunate that you are able to do that!

One of my neighbors plants things every year and gives away extras to the people on our block (as well as homeless people living in the area who are hungry). I'm looking forward to the cucumbers!

+ Reply to Thread