+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

I'm sure I must have posted some tips as I was exploring the blender before, but I did a lot of experimenting with things other than fresh, like dried, frozen, canned, preserves (like jam, without sugar), etc. I also like wheat germ, ground flax seed (in mine, I can grind the flax seed right in the blender and then add the other ingredients), etc. Don't forget to add water (or fruit juice, or soy milk) or you could end up with a heavy sludge.
    Count your blessings!

I found this posted on a blog; sounds super yummy and healthy to the point of healing.

healthy Arrigazzi soup

Although it has many ingredients (which goes against my "simplify, simplify" needs and budget constraints), I'm going to get this soup into my life ASAP. It reminds me of the much simpler soup recipe that Gutmutter shared a while back, which inspired me to make several "wing it" vegetable soups.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3923233;
    I'm sure I must have posted some tips as I was exploring the blender before, but I did a lot of experimenting with things other than fresh, like dried, frozen, canned, preserves (like jam, without sugar), etc. I also like wheat germ, ground flax seed (in mine, I can grind the flax seed right in the blender and then add the other ingredients), etc. Don't forget to add water (or fruit juice, or soy milk) or you could end up with a heavy sludge.
    When I started changing my eating and exercising habits at the beginning of the year, I would make myself a fruit/veggie/protein drink in the morning, which would keep me satisfied until 10:30, at which point I would eat a handful of almonds. I was surprised at how delicious it tasted.
    It comprised of: one small apple, one stick of celery (or a handful of spinach), one handful of blueberries, 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil, two spoonfuls of vanilla flavoured whey protein and a cup or so of natural almond milk.
    Very tasty and full of essential nutrients.

Any of you use this site at all?

LIVESTRONG.COM - Lose Weight & Get Fit with Diet, Nutrition & Fitness Tools

Very good for looking up nutritional values, recipes, etc. It definitely will help you to live a healthy lifestyle.

Thanks Unk! What a great site, I'm going to play with it on the weekend!

Does anyone here Juice? My friend with cancer bought and uses a Champion masticating juicer ($500 range) and is using it as part of her cancer-fighting regimen.

Preparing fresh juice gives the body a HUGE vitamin/mineral shot because our digestive systems just wouldn't be able to accommodate the quantity of fiber contained in all of those vegetables! We'd be too full. And it takes less energy to digest the juice than all of that fiber (that's what I've read, anyway).

I purchased a Breville juicer about 2 years ago ($275 or so), and I've found than when I make a vitamin/mineral-packed, fresh juice in the morning, I feel extremely more energetic! Unfortunately, I've not committed to a daily regimen myself, but I'd like to. Recently my husband, who's older than I, has started having elevated cholesterol/blood pressure, and he's finally agreed to have a morning juice with me! We're starting tomorrow! I'm excited about this because getting everything out and prepping it gets to be a lot for just one person, so I just don't do it like I'd like to.

I was wondering: do you or you friends juice? If so, are there recipes you suggest? Ideas or suggestions regarding juicers, times of the day, etc.?

Here's my favorite fresh juice:

(2) chutes of organic carrots (my chute's approx. diameter is that of a medium-sized fist)
    (1) cucumber, peeled
    (2) chutes organic celery
    (1) handful of organic parsley, I remove stems, grow my own
    (1) large handful organic spinach, I remove stems
    (1) peeled lemon, seeds removed

I process all of that into a pitcher and stir. This make about a half-pitcher for me. The vitamin potency falls rapidly after juicing, so it's best to drink it right away, but I sometimes put a layer of foil over the top to keep out oxygen and refrigerate for lunch or an afternoon pickup.

I'd love to hear your stories or opinions on juicing.

Oh, and the leftover pulp from all of the vegies/fruits can be used in soups or stews or composted
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

MRD

My daughter juices and I've been wanting to try it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I used to juice, but couldn't stand throwing so much of the fiber away. That's why I blend instead. You still get a lot more fruits and veggies than you would be able to eat and you're getting a lot of fiber, too.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I used to juice, but couldn't stand throwing so much of the fiber away. That's why I blend instead. You still get a lot more fruits and veggies than you would be able to eat and you're getting a lot of fiber, too.
    Since my juicer isn't a masticating one (the really expensive kind), I get plenty of fiber in my juice still. While most of it goes into the holding bin, my daily requirement is more than met in my glass.

All of that bulk in the holding bin can be frozen and used in other vegie things later, but I don't do it. It's just good old vegetables, so I add it to my pile and compost it. I'd get sick of raw vegies, personally, if I had to eat that much every day.

My husband has been sticking with me, and we've each had (2) 12-oz. glasses of fresh juice each day since Friday. I have my first in the morning to jump start my day (I am full of energy thereon) and one in the afternoon to pick me up. He drinks his first one with his cereal and finishes the other one throughout the day.

Hoping also to see some weight loss at the end of a week or two! Pweeeeeeez!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

MRD

I started juicing today and it was good. Even veggie hating hubby loved it.
    So am now going to do juice for us every morning. Have recipes for him for joint pain and me for thyroid.
    There was very little waste. The juice is very thick.
    I don't know what kind it is, it's my daughters,
    But not much waste considering what I put in. And that now leads me to next issue: going to need to truck in the fruits and veggies for this.
    It took a lot to get 2 servings of juice.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread