+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

FORT Fogey

Re: Food and Health?

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3787923;
    There is lots of food talk here. Is there a thread anywhere at FORT devoted to exercise?
    Not that I've ever seen. The General Discussion thread seems like the appropriate place for it. I bet a lot of people would post on it. Might even get me moving!!!

There is lots of food talk here. Is there a thread anywhere at FORT devoted to exercise?
    We have an entire forum devoted to exercise and weight loss. You can get access to Chub Club by going to your User CP and signing up on the Group Memberships menu
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There's a thread in The Biggest Loser forum as well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3788607;
    There's a thread in The Biggest Loser forum as well.
    Thanks, AJane! I forgot about that one!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3788499;
    We have an entire forum devoted to exercise and weight loss. You can get access to Chub Club by going to your User CP and signing up on the Group Memberships menu
    I didn't know this! Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3750221;
    I've been on a new food health kick for 2 weeks now. It started with watching a Montel Williams infomercial for a blender ($$$) where he touted the health benefits of blending raw fruits and veggies together (with water). I have a juicer, but hate throwing away all the pulp and so many pieces to clean. My old blender bit the dust a couple years ago and I use my daughter's Magic Bullet for single serving smoothies. So at the beginning of the month, I got a Black & Decker Cyclone and a lot of fruits and veggies. Every day since, I start and end the day with these "smoothies" - I try a different combo every time, but some of the main staples are pineapple, apple, pear, canteloup, carrots, colored bell peppers, bananas. I also use frozen fruits that I can't get fresh. I'm loving it. Can't get enough and it's so filling I don't eat much else. I even make it before I start my coffee in the morning if I don't have a glass waiting for me in the fridge. Sometimes I take a big nalgene bottle of it for lunch. I have to consciously eat protein if I forget for a day or two. I figure my daily portion of almonds at my desk covers me a little there, and sometimes I add Kefir to the smoothie, so that's calcium. I started getting sick a week ago and it never developed. I mean, I was full-on total body ache when I got off work and it went away on its own. I'm around middle school kids all day and we just went through a huge H1N1 absentee streak.
    Gut, I knew we spoke about this awhile back so I went on a hunt to look for this post.

I'm wondering how you are making out with the juicer? My son has been thinking about purchasing one for some time now. Yesterday he did more shopping around and purchased a Jack Lelanne juicer.

Last night we made a batch of vegtable juice and a batch of fruit juice. It was declicious.

Any other tips would be appreciated!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 06-02-2010 at 10:50 AM.

I found that if I overdid it - especially with a lot of citric fruit - I started to get a sore (raw) throat. However, when my culinary daughter came home for breaks and pampered me with rich food she wanted to show off, I would start the blender routine as soon as she left. Now I try to incorporate more veggies to fruit in the mix. The fruit still makes it sweet, but you can get a lot of veggies in there before you lose that. Right now, both blender and Magic Bullet are in Ohio, so I'm trying to eat raw fruit and salads. I had peaches and apples from my trees in the freezer that I needed to use up before I move, so I made a big batch of peach/apple sauce. I have processed concord grapes that I need to use next and the only thing I know how to make with that those is pie. Oh well, the antioxidents from the grapes are worth the fat.
    Count your blessings!

Thanks Gut. Its all good information to know, especially overdoing it with the fruit. I can see myself doing that. So just to clarify, you mix veggies and fruit together?

Yes - that was the whole point of the Montel Williams infomercial... that you can't even taste the veggies if you have strong flavored fruit like pineapple, strawberries, etc. It can turn an ugly color if you're mixing spinach with carrots and strawberries, though.
    Count your blessings!

That's great to know, thanks Gut. I will be stocking up on fruits and veggies this weekend. I'll make a batch of fruit/veggie. I've been doing some internet research, amazing information out there!

I was taken out for lunch today, ate way to much, so for supper I'm having a tall glass of the fruit juice since I didn't have any fruit at all today.

I think I'm going to have fun with this juicer!

+ Reply to Thread