+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3761834;
    Unk ,
    Do you have a good recipe you want to share?
    You beat me to it, I was just about to ask the same thing. The sweet and sour sauce sounds good.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Shepherd's Pie is a staple at Irish pubs (here in the US).

Years ago, I used to make a veggie version of it that had a mushroom gravy/sauce that was baked with the mashed potatoes, and you would never have missed the meat.

Nowadays I have a quickie version; you can even skip the baking step (but it's tastier with the browned top if you bake it). If anyone wants the recipe, let me know.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3761834;
    Unk ,
    Do you have a good recipe you want to share?
    If it was mine I would but it belongs to the restaurant and I can't do it. Sorry.

NRH I'm posting a link in the recipes thread that might be worth a try. I'm going to try it this week-end. Really, how bad can it be?

MRD

OK, roasted okra? YUM

Shepard's pie was always hamburger, frozen mixed veggies and topped with mashed potatos. I use cream of mushroom soup in my hamburger and add a raw egg and grated cheddar cheese to the potatos. Great way to use up leftovers. I have also made it with roast beef leftovers that I cut up in small cubes.

I have a recipe for stuffed cabbage in the crockpot. I like it, but cabbage does smell. But it's a LOT easier than rolls. You hollow out the head of cabbage and put the filling in, put it in the crockpot, add leftover filling around outside of cabbage (because there is ALWAYS leftover filling) and cook.

I make stuffed peppers with red peppers. Less heartburn. I also use orzo instead of rice, fresh spinach, feta cheese and sometimes ground lamb instead of ground beef. Mine are more "greek" inspired than traditional stuffed peppers.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3761797;
    Wind Dancer Have you tried roasted Okra? I like to use okra pods that are 3"-4" long, cut the stem end close to the pod. Put them in a bowl or plastic bag and the toss them with just enough olive oil to coat. Lay them in a single layer on a foil lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with your choice of spices and then bake in a 375-400 degree oven until brown. turning often so it doesn't burn. We love it that way.
    I also cook sliced okra in diced tomatoes. You can add celery and onion and whole kernel corn if you like.
    Just some alternatives to fried okra.
    I don't use marshmallows on sweet potato casserole either, I use a topping which consists of flour, brown sugar and pecans. yum!
    Inthegarden--hi.

I LOVE Okra! I really think I was born into the wrong family since my mom would never make okra. I didn't even have it until I started travelling when I was an adult. I love in in just about every dish I've had it in.

Thanks so much for the recipes. I will now search out okra in my fave produce store.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3762306;
    OK, roasted okra? YUM

I make stuffed peppers with red peppers. Less heartburn. I also use orzo instead of rice, fresh spinach, feta cheese and sometimes ground lamb instead of ground beef. Mine are more "greek" inspired than traditional stuffed peppers.

MRD--those sound great!

I have recently discovered the joys of Greek-type food and I've been using orzo in a lot of dishes where I used to use the more "American" kind of pasta (You know what I mean.)

And just about anything with feta cheese is something I want to eat. I'm thinking--since bell-type peppers and I really don't get along--to just skip the peppers but do the rest of your recipe.

I hope you don't mind the modification. I also have some gyro-type sliced lamb and I think I could just cut it up and use it instead of ground lamb. All I'd need to buy is the spinach.

My mouth is already watering.....
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 12-04-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3762046;
    If it was mine I would but it belongs to the restaurant and I can't do it. Sorry.
    Totally understand.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3762409;
    MRD--those sound great!

I have recently discovered the joys of Greek-type food and I've been using orzo in a lot of dishes where I used to use the more "American" kind of pasta (You know what I mean.)

And just about anything with feta cheese is something I want to eat. I'm thinking--since bell-type peppers and I really don't get along--to just skip the peppers but do the rest of your recipe.

I hope you don't mind the modification. I also have some gyro-type sliced lamb and I think I could just cut it up and use it instead of ground lamb. All I'd need to buy is the spinach.

My mouth is already watering.....

I don't eat the pepper, but I do like the flavor it imparts to the stuffing.
    I'll have to find my recipe. I posted it here long ago.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

There is lots of food talk here. Is there a thread anywhere at FORT devoted to exercise?

+ Reply to Thread