+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

FORT Fogey

Re: Food and Health?

OK...who started all this food from our childhood thing?? It inspired me to make the shepherd's pie which is currently baking in the oven for dinner.

Great use for leftover meat!!! I hope it tastes as good as it looks!!!

FORT Fogey

It is very similar to carrot cake--has a dark color and has lots of raisins and some spices in it.

It's really very pretty when decorated with white frosting and coconut to simulate lambswool.
    The eyes are raisins and sometimes people put a ribbon around its neck and disply in on a bed of green Easter "grass."

Like carrot cake it is very yummy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3761160;
    OK...who started all this food from our childhood thing?? It inspired me to make the shepherd's pie which is currently baking in the oven for dinner.

Great use for leftover meat!!! I hope it tastes as good as it looks!!!
    Mmmm--I can smell it too!

What kind of meat are you using in it? And is it similar to what we call "pot pie"?

(When I hear about "Shepherd's food" I always think of the shepherds' lunches served in pubs in England--which are usually a chunk of cheese and some pickles and bread and butter. Really good with ale.

BTW--I think I'm the one who got started on food from childhood.

I think it does fit the thread's theme because most food from childhood tends to be comfort food. And IMO we can all use some of that.

Comfort is conducive to health--especially in these times.
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 12-02-2009 at 05:53 PM.

What kind of meat are you using in it? And is it similar to what we call "pot pie"?
    Pot pie is usually meat, veggies, and gravy, with a top and bottom crust.

Shepherd's pie is veggies (I always had it with corn), meat (ok, so my mom cheated and used hamburger ;-) ), and mashed potatoes, layered and baked. [Funny side note: someone on TV made a shepherd's pie within the last several months, and it was completely different from what I ate. I have to look it up to see how it's really supposed to be made!]

Cabbage rolls are great. We have them at the restaurant on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's one of our best sellers along with stuffed peppers on Wednesday that we use the same sweet and sour red sauce on. Good stuff.

FORT Fogey

More childhood flashbacks--heartburn from the stuffed peppers.

I think God put me in the wrong house.

Wind Dancer Have you tried roasted Okra? I like to use okra pods that are 3"-4" long, cut the stem end close to the pod. Put them in a bowl or plastic bag and the toss them with just enough olive oil to coat. Lay them in a single layer on a foil lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with your choice of spices and then bake in a 375-400 degree oven until brown. turning often so it doesn't burn. We love it that way.
    I also cook sliced okra in diced tomatoes. You can add celery and onion and whole kernel corn if you like.
    Just some alternatives to fried okra.
    I don't use marshmallows on sweet potato casserole either, I use a topping which consists of flour, brown sugar and pecans. yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3761438;
    Cabbage rolls are great. We have them at the restaurant on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's one of our best sellers along with stuffed peppers on Wednesday that we use the same sweet and sour red sauce on. Good stuff.
    Unk ,
    Do you have a good recipe you want to share?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Sorry I could not answer sooner. Having computer problems.

I used leftover pork roast because it was "there." Cut the meat in bite size pieces and mixed with cooked carrots and double-strength no-sodium beef broth. Made instant mashed potatoes (didn't have any real ones in the house) and spread them over the top. Baked 30 minutes. It was really good.

I know you started the food from childhood thing and I was only kidding....in a way it was a good thing since it inspired me to make the shepherd's pie. And so, I thank you.

Take care.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3761438;

I'll be right over.....in about 6 hours driving time.....

+ Reply to Thread