+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Food and Health?

Re: Food and Health?

Can't believe I missed this thread.

This is the season of roasted vegetable around here. Pick your veggie, toss with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Roast on a shallow pan..don't crowd it! until tender. 400 degrees or so. Length of time in the oven depends on the density of the veg. They will needto be turned halfway thru.

For example-we do caulifower and broccoli slices for about 15 minutes. Beets and turnips take 30 minutes. We also do butternut squash, acorn squash, brussel sprouts, sweet potatos and on and on.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I've never had sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top, but we make candied yams with brown sugar for Thanksgiving and I've never liked those. Considering that I have yet to enjoy sweet potatoes, yams, any form of winter squash, or cooked carrots, I don't think I'm missing something I'd love.

FORT Fogey

Whoever above said that stuffed cabbage is a lot of work is absolutely right.

It also makes the house smell--but not in a good way.

Sorry--but give me something like grilled salmon--something I was introduced to as an adult--over hamburger and cabbage.
    (My mom only used canned salmon for her Friday night casseroles--which is of course not even close to real salmon in flavor.)

As I said--prejudices left over from childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3760313;
    OMG. PLease don't gag! I definitely have had cravings for this dish many times over the years. I wish I could make it like my Mom did!
    I love it too but my recipe doesn't come close to tasting the way my Mom's did. She inherited the recipe from an elderly Polish woman in our neighborhood who also taught her how to make it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3760618;

Sorry--but give me something like grilled salmon--something I was introduced to as an adult--over hamburger and cabbage.
    (My mom only used canned salmon for her Friday night casseroles--which is of course not even close to real salmon in flavor.)

As I said--prejudices left over from childhood.

Wind Dancer: that was me who said stuffed cabbage is a lot of work, which is why I don't make it. Never noticed the smell.

Give me grilled salmon or any kind of fish anytime......but unfortunately smelly fish makes hubby gag. One person's joy is another person's gag, or something like that!!

FORT Fogey

Columbia--I agree.

I can't stand the smell of cabbage cooking but salmon being grilled smells like heaven to me too. Especially when hollandaise sauce is being prepared to go on the salmon.

Once I happened to be in the northwest during salmon season and I ate fresh salmon three times a day. Luckily no one there thought it was odd for someone to be ordering salmon for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3760456;
    By "stuffed cabbage" do you all mean holubchi??? OMG, my mouth waters when I think of my Ukrainian grandmother's cabbage rolls... I can't make it, I'm useless at the old traditional dishes, but at least my husband's grandma brings me some when she comes to visit.
    Our family calls them cabbage rolls. My grandmother was from the Ukraine and she made these as well. She also put pork chops in with them. I loved this dish and never could make them right. My mom does a good job though.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3760618;

Sorry--but give me something like grilled salmon--something I was introduced to as an adult--over hamburger and cabbage.(My mom only used canned salmon for her Friday night casseroles--which is of course not even close to real salmon in flavor.)

As I said--prejudices left over from childhood
    Hey, Wind, no need to apologize.
    I happen to love how my Mom's cabbage rolls tasted. And they came via my grandmother, who was Czech. She was a great cook. Ajane, we called it a different name, but all those Eastern European countries had their own versions. I thought they were all great. And I still love the foods from E. Europe.
    On the other hand, my Greek grandfather made very greasy - to me - food. He was also a very horrible man!
    It took me a lot of years to be able to even go to a Greek restaurant!
    To this day, though, you couldn't pay me money to eat baklava or kouribiya
    ( sp.?)!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

On the other hand I love a traditional soup made with duck and currants that my grandma made. A soup that not a lot of other people like.

So--yes it all evens out.

Since we have people here with Slavic backgrounds--is anyone else familiar with the "Lamb cake" made at Eastertime that is baked in a lamb-shaped cake mold?

Never heard of the lamb cake, Wind.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread