+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2363646566676869707172737475 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's

A couple of weeks ago TJs was sampling some little salami sandwiches with sweet & spicy mustard and some little pickles on the side. I used to love gherkins when I was a kid, I like sweet relish on burgers and hot dogs, and I don't hate dill pickles, but overall pickles aren't my fav. These little pickles were interesting because they weren't sweet, but they had a quality that still reminded me of gherkins. I think it must be because the cucumbers are harvested when they are so tiny. I bought some today and they are called cornichons. They are quite interesting. I definitely look forward to making some sandwiches to eat them with. I think they are quite complimentary.

The last few days they have been sampling brownies made from a truffle brownie mix they carry topped with melted peanut butter cups. I cannot make these at home because I think I would EAT THEM ALL!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ellen likes this.

Re: Trader Joe's

I'm not a fan, but I have a friend who LOVES cornichons. I don't LOVE pickles, but sometimes they're exactly the right ingredient.

Truffle brownies topped with melted peanut butter cups?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Is this the right place to write about Whole Foods? I couldn't find a thread about Whole Foods. At Whole Foods they care about making a profit... and recycling. There have separate bins for "trash," "compost" and "recycling." But, if an item doesn't sell quickly enough, they stop carrying it. They should get into the recycling business. Before Whole Foods, there was a locally owned health food store that got what customers wanted.

FORT Fogey

Also, Whole Foods occasionally has bag-free days. For the customers who show up without their own bags, they are given boxes for their food. Instead of doing so much for the environment, I wish Whole Foods would do something for the customers, or for people in general.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Is this the right place to write about Whole Foods? I couldn't find a thread about Whole Foods. At Whole Foods they care about making a profit... and recycling. There have separate bins for "trash," "compost" and "recycling." But, if an item doesn't sell quickly enough, they stop carrying it. They should get into the recycling business. Before Whole Foods, there was a locally owned health food store that got what customers wanted.
    Not really, since this thread is for Trader Joe's. You're welcome to start a Whole Foods thread or discuss it in general food talk.

I follow the ladies who write the Cooking With Trader Joe's series of cookbooks - the recipes utilize products you can find at most TJ's stores and are easy, delicious and quick. This was in their FB feed within the last week. I'm totally going to try it:

Pina Colada Freeze (Soft Ice Cream, Dairy Free)

PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME: 0 SERVES: 4

You don't need an ice cream maker to make a yummy frozen treat at home. All you need is a food processor and some frozen fruit. I combine frozen pineapple from Trader Joe's with light coconut milk and transform it into a smooth and creamy frozen "ice cream." Delicious, healthy, and easy to make.

Ingredients

1 (16-oz) bag frozen Pineapple Tidbits
    1 cup canned light coconut milk
    1/4 cup sugar

Instructions

1. Combine coconut milk and sugar, stirring 15 seconds until sugar starts to dissolve.
    2. Do not thaw the pineapple tidbits. For this recipe it should be frozen hard. Add frozen pineapple to a food processor and process for
    approximately 2 minutes or until mixture is smooth.
    3. Serve immediately.
    Pina Colada Freeze (Soft Ice Cream, Dairy Free) Recipe | Quick and healthy Trader Joe's recipes
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Really happy to find Swiss Chard all chopped and packaged in 10oz. bags like salads.
    Tell me again about the day you brought me home and I was all cold and hungry and you became my forever human... It's my favorite kitty bedtime story.

That sounds great, and like something my kids would like too. I will definitely try that one!

FYI: Received an email today from TJ's...

RECALL NOTICE

August 19, 2014

To Our Valued Customers:

We have been alerted by our supplier of Trader Joe's Raw Almond Butters that there is a possibility that product with the specified date codes may be contaminated with Salmonella:

(SKU 91989) Raw Crunchy Unsalted Almond Butter [USE BY 28DEC14 thru 18JUN15]

(SKU 56995) Raw Creamy Unsalted Almond Butter [USE BY 27DEC14 thru 18JUL15]
    In accordance with our stringent health and safety standards, and as an extreme precaution, all of the potentially affected product has been removed from sale and destroyed.

Customers who have purchased any of these items with the specified code dates are urged to not eat them and to dispose of them or return them to any Trader Joe’s for a full refund.

No other Trader Joe's products are included in this recall.

Customers with questions may contact Trader Joe's Customer Relations at (626) 599-3817 [Monday through Friday, 6:00 am to 6:00 pm Pacific Time].

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Saw that on the news today — as well as peanut butter.
    Maybe spending extra and consuming less via Whole Foods is a better choice.
    Glad to see that the Cashew Butter isn't on the list. Yet.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Oh how I loooove Trader Joe's!!!!!

To me, it's the Disneyland of Grocery Stores!!!!
    Punkin and Gutmutter like this.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

+ Reply to Thread