+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1959606162636465666768697071727374 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

UGH, I hate this: CA company recalls grilled chicken at Trader Joe's - CBS 5 - KPHO

One of the salads on the list is the one I raved about upthread. I'm outside of the 2-8 day window for symptoms. Won't be buying that salad for a while.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    UGH, I hate this: CA company recalls grilled chicken at Trader Joe's - CBS 5 - KPHO

One of the salads on the list is the one I raved about upthread. I'm outside of the 2-8 day window for symptoms. Won't be buying that salad for a while.
    I saw that story, too.
    Given that TJ's uses all sorts of vendors (and vettes them pretty well...most of the time...but some have fallen through the cracks), hubby and I limit our meat purchases there to organic/pastured/free range (and grass-fed, in the case of beef). But we're even starting to rethink that. So we"ve cut out the salads with meat already in it.

If we want meat or seafood in our salads, we just add our own which we get at a local, trusted butcher Homegrown Meats - Grass-fed Beef and Specialty Meats - Homegrown Meats or at a local, trusted fishmonger.

It's an extra step, but less expensive and less of a hassle than medical fix-its.
    Punkin likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We recently tried the Chocolate Covered Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels. Oh. My. Gosh. They are SO good! The caramel is the perfect texture for me and tastes home made. There is just a touch of salt mixed in, which is also perfect for me. I have tried the caramels that actually have salt stuck in the top and I can't handle those whatsoever. The chocolate covering is dark chocolate, which nicely balances the sweetness of the caramel.
    pikachu and Cootie like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Mmmmm, that sounds good, Closet! I'm going through a caramel kick right now so I'll have to see if my Trader Joe's has it.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Mmmmm, that sounds good, Closet! I'm going through a caramel kick right now so I'll have to see if my Trader Joe's has it.
    They are small and round and come in a bag, rather than the traditional square caramel shape. I kind of like that I can eat 5 and it isn't even considered a whole serving!

The Belgian Dark Chocolate bars are to die for! And they're only $1.99!! 6.3 ounces of pure heaven

Chocolate covered sea salt butterscotch caramels
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

^^^ I looked for the butterscotch caramels today, but they were out

I did end up with a carton of the Golden Caramel Swirl ice cream. The cashier told me about this taste test:
    The Ultimate Vanilla Ice Cream Taste Test | The Daily Meal
    Out of nine ice cream brands - including some really pricey ones - TJ's came in second after Ben and Jerry's.

I also got some of the new vegetable biryani in the frozen section. Fingers crossed that it's a keeper!
    Punkin and Ellen like this.

OMG! Critical! We have Biryani once a week! It was discontinued for a couple of years some time ago and every time we went in to Trader Joe's I went to the front desk and told them I wanted Biryani back! I said, "Write that down, and send it in!" And, at my demand, it was brought back! We add Craisins or Raisins, and it has the most lovely, subtle curry flavor with the rice, apples, peas and whatnot. A perfect dinner with a nice, simple salad!

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    OMG! Critical! We have Biryani once a week! It was discontinued for a couple of years some time ago and every time we went in to Trader Joe's I went to the front desk and told them I wanted Biryani back! I said, "Write that down, and send it in!" And, at my demand, it was brought back! We add Craisins or Raisins, and it has the most lovely, subtle curry flavor with the rice, apples, peas and whatnot. A perfect dinner with a nice, simple salad!
    I wish that worked with more of their discontinued items! I miss the shelf stable lentil rice biryani they discontinued about 4 or 5 years ago. It was maybe $1.50 and made a huge meal. Just 90 seconds in the microwave. I ate it on a really regular basis and always had to reach way back on the shelf to get it. I figured it had to have more to do with them losing a distributor than with sales numbers.

Really though, I have a fairly long list of discontinued items that I miss. I've informed several TJ's employees that if they ever get rid of the Caribbean Fruit Floes, I will pull a Norma Rae in the frozen food section! Same with the Tart D'Alsace and the Wild Mushroom and Truffle flatbread.

Is it me or has their salad section really gone downhill? Just too many weird or trendy combinations and not enough actual GOOD salads. I miss the Thai noodle salad and the old roasted beat and feta salad they "improved" (and by "improved" I mean "ruined'). I had one salad a while back that I really liked and then it was one of the salads they had to recall. The date on mine was prior to the recall, but still. Doesn't make me eager to buy it again!

+ Reply to Thread