+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Thanks everyone for weighing in here with your thoughts or reasons for shopping at TJ's! I find TJ's way too small! Walk in WF or Sprouts or even Mother's Market (which we also have here in the OC) and they all are huge stores!

I love all the "loose" items that WF and Sprouts has ..... I have never noticed TJ's carrying loose items. You know like granola, oatmeal, almonds, even candy! Really the only thing I buy at TJ's is "Two Buck Chuck" because my DH loves it!

The bakery at WF's is amazing! I have trouble finding the tea I like but it's always at WF's ..... "P&G Tips"! It's from the UK and they always carry it! I like buying the soaps that both WF and Mother's Market carries!

Thanks again, everyone!
    I guess those aren't a selling point to me. I don't want to buy anything that strangers can stick their hands into....including little kids with sticky fingers. YUCK. I want that stuff in a sealed package, thank you.

World Market carries PG Tips and I can almost guarantee you that it's cheaper there than at WF.

I miss Mother's. I always have to go when I'm home for the holidays.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There is nothing worse than seeing a kid or adult stick their hand in a bin and eat from it. Well....maybe there is......not seeing them do it and assuming that it is not done!
    inthegarden likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Mother's Market took over a corner location on Newport Blvd when Borders closed their store. The Whole Foods is right across the street in the basement at Triangle Square. The nearest Trader Joe's is in the opposite direction in a large shopping mall (Target). I haven't been to any of them as I tend to be store specific once I find one I like. Currently it's Stater Bros (SoCal only) as what I think of as specialty stores carry items I am not able to eat anyway. I do like reading the Trader Joe's newsletter they send out, though.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I was disappointed with Trader Joe's: there wasn't much organic produce in the store. I don't think they had bulk organic rice either. (It's been a while since I've been there). I walked out of Trader Joe's without buying anything. About half of Whole Foods is a gourmet deli. They have about ten feet of space in the produce area for ready-made packaged salads. I don't buy gourmet deli food or packaged salads. The price of the bulk items such as oatmeal, raisins and lentils in Whole Foods is a little less than the price at the local supermarket chain. The raisins I got in the bulk area of Whole Foods didn't taste very good. They no longer have plastic bags at Whole Foods because they want to save the environment... but, they "don't care" about people: the CEO of Whole Foods is against universal health care. For one day out of every year, they don't have any bags at all in the Whole Foods store. I happened to show up at the store to shop that one day. They gave me a cloth bag. I didn't know that day would be a bag-free day.

We don't have Whole Foods or any other store like this in my area, just regular traditional grocery stores (and one expensive health food store and some ethnic grocery stores). This is why I was SO excited when I heard we were getting a Trade Joe's so we would have an interesting alternative. I had never been to a TJs before, but I am so happy to have one now. The employees, without fail, have great attitudes. My son needs a job, but said he couldn't apply at TJs because he "can't be that happy all the time". They have great prices on staples and so many products that I just love Love LOVE!! I didn't realize I could feel so passionately about a food store!
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    We don't have Whole Foods or any other store like this in my area, just regular traditional grocery stores (and one expensive health food store and some ethnic grocery stores). This is why I was SO excited when I heard we were getting a Trade Joe's so we would have an interesting alternative. I had never been to a TJs before, but I am so happy to have one now. The employees, without fail, have great attitudes. My son needs a job, but said he couldn't apply at TJs because he "can't be that happy all the time". They have great prices on staples and so many products that I just love Love LOVE!! I didn't realize I could feel so passionately about a food store!
    As much as I like many of TJ's products, I LOVE the customer service. The HR department is outstanding as regards hiring the right people for the job.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

There is a Trader Joe's 70 miles north of where I live and 100 miles south. I have to go to a meeting each month near the south location and just returned from there tonight. I bought some of their fresh pizza dough, pizza sauce, Peppermint Jojo's, organic produce and my favorite - Dark Chocolate Almonds with Sea Salt and Turbinado Sugar. Anyone else tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    There is a Trader Joe's 70 miles north of where I live and 100 miles south. I have to go to a meeting each month near the south location and just returned from there tonight. I bought some of their fresh pizza dough, pizza sauce, Peppermint Jojo's, organic produce and my favorite - Dark Chocolate Almonds with Sea Salt and Turbinado Sugar. Anyone else tried them?
    I've had the Peppermint Joe-Joe's and I don't care for them as much as I do the Vanilla Joe-Joe's. The almonds are amazing!!! Haven't tried their pizza dough/sauce yet but please let us know how you like it.

I recently bought the Salted Caramel Chai Latte. Haven't tried it yet but the person who checked me out said it was absolutely delicious. Also, I love this time of year at TJs because the Frosted Mini Gingerbread Men come out - yum!

I'm addicted to TJ's movie popcorn. Better than homemade by far, and it costs about $1.99 a bag. It comes already popped in a red bag in the chips aisle.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I have tried the pizza dough and sauce and it is quite good! I prefer the sauce they keep near the dough in the refrigerated section. We once got the kind in a jar when they were out of the fresh stuff and it was not nearly as good.

My new addiction is the Cilantro & Chive Yogurt Dip. It is SO GOOD!! It is zesty and a little garlicy and I cannot taste the cilantro in it at all. I have spread it on the TJs half-baked ciabatta rolls to eat with soup and also on breakfast sandwiches we make with the same rolls. It is delicious stuff!

+ Reply to Thread